Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Winner Announced in Dorm Days Contest from The Tradition!

5,173 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JayAggie
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor The Tradition:

Congrats to WBBQ74 - you're the winner! Just reply back to suzanne@texags.com to claim your prize.

Tell us a little about your first year housing experience and you'll be entered to win TWO tickets to the TexAgs Preseason Kickoff! Not everybody lived in the dorm so it's open to apartment, house, or other first year housing.

The Tradition is right in the heart of Northgate. With over $20 Million in renovations, it's designed to be a hub where students can enjoy the resort-style pool, clubhouse, study rooms, and outdoor courtyard.

Bo Lindsey
General Manager | The Tradition
tradition.gm@pcmapts.com
301 Church Avenue
College Station, TX 77840
www.traditiontx.com
howdy2u
AG
Aston. Decent, relatively cheap, good way to get started. Moved off campus my sophomore year.

Oh, this was 1990.
sharpdressedman
Dorm 2 in the Quad. I opened the door to the room and saw bunk beds with rusty springs and seedy mattresses folded in two. There were two lights; 100 watt bulbs in the middle of the ceiling and over the sink (no fixtures). The room was very dusty, the asbestos tile floor very cold, and the desks and chairs small and uncomfortable. Above the intimidating roar of the 'heads and 'butts, I contemplated the wisdom of my decision to come to Aggieland.

I adapted to the prison-like living conditions and enjoyed a couple of nice facility upgrades over four years. It was a shocking start in many ways to my college career, but I survived and thrived. I am very thankful for having been in an environment that provided the opportunity to rise to the the highest point my talents and determination could take me. Developing mental toughness is a wonderful and comforting achievement that facilitates personal success throughout life, and my "accommodations" at my first home away from home were part of the process.
LegettHall
Sharing a room with 3 other lost students, at Leggett Hall, first semester, 1973.

"Privacy"--none. God help a guy showering if someone flushed a commode in the community bathroom. Waking up one morning at 4 am, looking at the clock thinking it was 8, flying out of bed as one of the Ags asked me why I was up so early--"stretching my legs" didn't work. Hey, it was my first college test, I was nervous, late? The world would have ended, at least back then.

We moved to Hart Hall after that first semester. It was heaven compared.

It also had a superb view for watching the young women walk by.

THE KICKER AND IT IS TRUE: All those years later, one of our twin boys lived in the same room I lived in while at Hart. Exact same room.
tbone421998
AG
Lived in a 17' travel trailer my first three years. Got married after my junior year and upgraded to a 50' mobile home in the same trailer park.
Mr. Havok
AG
Dirty Dunn. Lived up to the name. Spent most of my time off campus (friends/studying). As a science major I loved being right next to Heldenfels though!
jrdaustin
AG
Moses Hall (RAB - MMFOC!) in Fall of '85.

Best dorm memories:
The attempts to putt a golf ball from one end of the dorm down the hall to the other end - full swing required & more than one broken hall light and resulting pizzed RA...

Late night 42 tournaments with the suite mates (across the hall).

Viking Night at Sbisa!

Our never ending war with D-G. (Too bad they had to make it a girls' dorm! Bwahahaha!)

Worst dorm Memories:
Looking in on a crowd of guys looking at TV down the hall in somebody's room and catching the Challenger disaster as it happened in January '86.

The night of Valentine's Day '86 when I thought I had food poisoning from the Chicken (It can't be!), but it only ended up being appendicitis. A month in the quack shack resulted in my making the Dean's List for the only time in my college career.
Kool
AG
Crocker Hall early 80s. I vividly remember having to drop my first deuce there. Sat down on one of the four or five toilets lined up along the wall in front of the two urinals, just getting my work done. The toilets had no dividers between them or in front of them. Dude comes in to take a piss, turns around to me and starts making small talk while I am trying my best to make quick work of the turd. He shakes the dew off of his willy, zips up, and comes over to me and shakes my hand and introduces himself as my new next-door neighbor. Great! Howdy, neighbor. We are having a nice chat when his roommate comes in to take a piss as well, then he does the same thing. A few months ago, I was living at home, now I've got two dudes carrying on small talk to me while I sit on the throne with my pants around my ankle and nobody thinks a thing of it - just as if we were sitting on lounge chairs around a pool somewhere. Surreal.
I, too, remember DG from back in the day, including bombs going off in the dumpsters nearly every day, movies they would show on their outside, the time they brought farm animals in to mess up the R.A.'s room when he unfortunately went out of town for a weekend, and the guys who got kicked out for pouring molasses over a guy and feathering him, then taking him down to Tinsley's Chicken and Rolls to be Boss Bird for the day. Those guys were legendary. Wonder what ever happened to them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
milner79
LegettHall said:

Sharing a room with 3 other lost students, at Leggett Hall, first semester, 1973.

"Privacy"--none. God help a guy showering if someone flushed a commode in the community bathroom. Waking up one morning at 4 am, looking at the clock thinking it was 8, flying out of bed as one of the Ags asked me why I was up so early--"stretching my legs" didn't work. Hey, it was my first college test, I was nervous, late? The world would have ended, at least back then.

We moved to Hart Hall after that first semester. It was heaven compared.

It also had a superb view for watching the young women walk by.

THE KICKER AND IT IS TRUE: All those years later, one of our twin boys lived in the same room I lived in while at Hart. Exact same room.
Knowing there are those out there who consider Hart Hall an upgrade just affirms the Third World status of Legett (one G, damnit) Hall.
Duckhook
AG
Moses Hall RAB circa 1974. Learning to live in close proximity to ALL kinds of people. Stealing a shower bench from the 4th floor od Davis-Gary the first week we were there. Hanging out the windows talking to the women living in Keathley-Fowler-Hughes, which were 3 of the 4 girls dorms on campus at that time. Learning to not be embarrassed to drop a deuce in a community bathroom with only low, partial dividers between toilets and no doors. Our dorm sweetheart was somebody's girlfriend but nobody knew her name. Head RA told Aggieland staff her name was "Fonda Peters". They printed it and she is forever known that way in the 1975 Aggieland. Eating dinner at Sbisa at 5:00 so we could go play some type of intramural sport immediately aftetward. Good times.
Ags06Win
AG
Lived at the Tradition in 02-03 school year as a freshman!

The Aggie Dance team worked out in the meeting area on our side of the 5th floor. Lived across the hall from most of the Aggie Basketball team... and even went to watch them in some away games with player tickets!

End up living at the Tradition a second year due to how close it was the campus & more importantly, Northgate!
Justin2010
AG
2006. Bed bug infestation at Keathley. Living on campus was fun, but bed bugs sucked.
cisgenderedAggie
I think it's hilarious that this thread isn't also posted on the General board
nickstro66
AG
My roommate disappearing in the middle of the night only to find out he was a drug dealer and the cops had warrants out for his arrest. Not sure if they ended up getting him or not.
Aston 91
AG
Aston, Fall '87. Watching free movies on "Aston TV" courtesy of Kevin aka "Mouse". He hooked up a transmitter to a VCR and broadcast movies. Had to have a room facing the courtyard inside to pick up the signal.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Lived in Moore & Aston, pleased they are both either leveled or gutted.

JustisWalkert
AG
Duckhook, I had friends in Moses during that time period. There was a guy on the fourth floor that could let out a belch that you could hear all the way to the first floor. Maybe you remember him.

I have the yearbook with Fonda's picture.
JustisWalkert
AG
Two guys I remember from my time in Dorm 10. One used to yank out his pubes and sprinkle them among his roommate's stuff - bed sheets, text books, toothbrush, etc. When he ran out of his own pubes, he would go up and down the hall taking donations from others.

Another was an ex Marine who had been stationed in Okinawa. He rode a motorcycle and had a skull tattooed on his forearm. He lost one of his helmets because his girlfriend had it when she was busted for drugs.

Here's the kicker: both these guys got accepted into vet school.
Liquid Wrench
Spraying my bathroom w/ puke when I got food poisoning for the first time from some heatlamp pizza rolls at the old Hullabaloo in the MSC.
BanderaAg956
Lived off campus in a 450 sq ft house my dad and I remodeled. The city inspector Nazi wouldn't inspect the remodel when we started moving things in (not living in it - because school was about to start). I spent my first two (2) weeks living in a hotel!
CampingAg
AG
I love dorm story threads. Always take me back to the good 'ol days. I still remember my dad telling me before I left for Aggieland that these were gonna be the four best years of my life.
Class of 65
AG
Milner with no air conditioning a few showers in the center with the crappers scalding you when someone flushed.
1963 -1965. Bunch of wimps now attend A & M
rather be fishing
AG
Dunn. Sucked.

Some aholes hauled a couch down to the 3rd floor from the 4th and threw it off a balcony. They charged everyone in the building $1.99 for the replacement. Huge crock of BS. There's no way those couches cost that much.
Hu11abaloo
AG
Eppright, 2007.

Naively (and idiotically) decided to stay with my long-term high school girlfriend and we were doing long-distance. Nearly broke my neck once I got to campus looking at all the girls.

First week in, hooked up with this cute blonde number in the same dorm, called my high school sweetheart immediately and told her thanks, but gig 'em. Never seen so much tail in one spot than freshman year southside dorms.

God bless Aggieland.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Never have "Puryear Hall" and "resort-style" been used in the same sentence. POOH-AH
skins74
AG
Dorm 3 Room 419 fish in Corps. Only good thing it was next to crapper so wasn;t in hall long to get there, if hall crowded, there was the sink.
MallalieuAg
AG
Hart Hall. No air conditioning.
ssolari94
AG
Cain Hall...... Enough said!!!
rather be fishing
OlAg2001
OldAg68
AG
Milner Hall (Milner Hilton) in 1966. One iron bunk bed, lavatory in the room (good for taking a leak in the middle of the night), community toilets/showers on each floor. I think that it was the oldest or second-oldest building on campus at the time.

I was a non-reg transfer. First lesson was when I was taking a shower and heard someone yelling on the other side of the bathroom where the toilets (no partitions) were. Finally realized they were yelling "crapper", which meant I should step out of the shower stream and yell "hit it" so as not to get a dose of very hot water when they flushed.

Pretty spartan accommodations, but adequate for the times.
coyote68
EAD 65 said:

Milner with no air conditioning a few showers in the center with the crappers scalding you when someone flushed.
1963 -1965. Bunch of wimps now attend A & M

I lived in Milner in 65-66. Jim Sandees was my roommate. Now Dr. Sanders and the absolute smartest person I have ever known. Our neighbor was the son of a Bedouin nomad from Saudis Arabia who did not know where his family was.? Oh, we lived in the basement.

In 66-67 I lived in Dorm 13 which is now Hotard. Great times!
S.A. Aggie
AG
I lived in Doux Chene apartments. While pulling all nighters we would turn off the lights on the kitchen and every 30 minutes or so we would take turns to see who could kill the most cockroaches. I remember the ceiling in one of my roommate closets was sagging due to the heavy rains. It broke and soked all his stuff. Mosquitoes drove him crazy that night. We got a months free rent. Next place was a two story house on the corner of Glade and Park place. Some great times there!!!! I miss those days and those guys.
JayAggie
AG
Moses RAB early 2000s

Everyday something crazy happened, but this by far was the craziest.

It was a 3 day weekend sometime in the fall of my freshman year, no home game so a lot of folks were gone. We all return and the ENTIRE dorm smells awful, like something died. A day later pictures of a dead doe tied to a toilet taking a **** are posted all throughout the dorm. Come to find out that was the smell. They had to call out someone to remove the deer, we all got charged a fee for the removal.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.