Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Winner Announced in Best Baseball Memory Contest!

4,354 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GreatSullysGhost
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor: Rollo Insurance:

Congrats to these four winners!
lotoarmy
rollingwoodaggie
Quito
bullard21k

Just reply to suzanne@texags.com to claim your prize!

We want to say CONGRATULATIONS to the Fightin' Texas Aggie Baseball team for making it to the College World Series for the sixth time in school history. Rob Childress and the Omaha Bound Aggies have provided us with an awesome ride this year, filled with some very memorable moments on the field.

We're in a giving mood but because we aren't allowed to give student-athletes freebies for their performance, we decided to give you free gear instead!

Reply to this thread with your best memory of Aggie Baseball in any post-season run in the past to win this 47 Closer hat AND a TexAgs t-shirt. Four winners will be chosen!

Lateralus Ag
AG
What's most important to you in the world, Jason?

coupland boy
AG
Easily being at all three games of the '89 Longhorn series. The comeback in game #2 capped off by the John Byington grand slam was a shout of deliverance.

After a glorious buffet at Double Daves, winning game #3 later that night in similar fashion made for the best day of Aggie baseball i have yet experienced.

Of course, that's until this weekend's college world series.
coupland boy
AG
Well, it was part of or led to a post season run so i assume it qualifies. Give me my hat!!!
wkahornet
AG
For me it was the offense exploding for 6 runs in the 1st and Michael Wacha leading us to a win in game 3 in Tallahassee after we gave up 23 the day before back in my class year of 11.
Aston 91
AG
'89 doubleheader against the Horns with two Byington walkoffs, and nothing else comes close.

EDIT: Looks like Coupland and I both missed the playoff qualifier, but I'm not changing my post either.
rollingwoodaggie
Taking my 4 year old daughter to Aggieland for the first time. We come out of the bathroom behind the berms in right field and a foul ball rockets off the side of the building. She picks it up, gets on ESPN, and gets her first foul ball. Cool day! We lost against Mizzou but that's my best memory.
AG
Aston 91 said:

'89 doubleheader against the Horns with two Byington walkoffs, and nothing else comes close.

This. And nothing will ever touch it.
GSPag`
Class of '89 here. Made every game that season.

And nothing will ever surpass that Sunday Doubleheader in '89 with the Horns.

I had a paper to write and finals to study for. But I have no idea what classes or what my grades were. But I can tell you every moment of both of those games.

Big John will always be my favorite Aggie Baseball Player. That day we learned that lightening can strike twice.
Amazing Moves
4 said:

Aston 91 said:

That was the first year I followed A&M baseball. I was in the 8th grade. Went to games and listened to them on the radio. Watched their games on HSE. Those two experiences at such an impressionable age were dynamite. Can't believe it's been 28 years but, that's it and nothing else compares.
coupland boy
AG
4 said:

Aston 91 said:

I have to disagree.....in a good way. We beat a hated rival that day and it was glorious. But our best days are ahead of us.
DisTex
AG
Exhibition game against the Astros where the temperature drop 30 degrees that ended in a 1-1 tie.

I believe we were playing Nebraska and we scored over 10 runs in an inning.
We were giving the center fielder grief and he threw the ball into the second deck after the inning.

Can anyone correct my memory ?
monarch
S
I was at the Astros game; 85/86 maybe?

'89 baseball team was nails; arguably the best team in any sport that wore the maroon & white in my time anyway.

Specific event? Easily John Byington and his 'Slams vs 'sippies.
technoviking
AG
for me it was watching steve scarborough and steven truitt each hit solo shot homers in the top of the ninth against clemson in game three of the '99 super regional to go to the college world series. i'll never forget freaking out with my dad there and the banner in center rolling open and saying something to the effect of "AGGIES TO OMAHA!"
67walkon
Pretty simple. 1989 vs Sips. Big John and Chuck.
aggiejim70
AG
Gotta be last year's Sunday 1-0 win against Alabama. My grandchildren, son and daughter of my class of '95 daughter, were with me and my 7th grade granddaughter unprompted says to me, "Papa, this is where I want to go to school". She'd be a forth generation Texas Aggie.

Prior to that it would have been the '74 win against t.u. that kept them from sweeping the SWC. That game was in the old cow pasture that adjoined Kyle Field.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Liquid Wrench
Winning the Clemson Super Regional in '99.
ftworthag02
AG
Clemson super regional
HECUBUS
AG
Made every home game in '89 with the wife. Second only to watching my son play baseball. Also got to see Wacha pitch the final game of the regional against Arizona (the last game at old Olsen) the record 21st SEC win against Auburn and another walk off home run against the sips by #5, 27 years after seeing the first, all with the son.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I had the good fortune of watching Dave Elmendorf absolutely crush a baseball. I haven't seen an MLB player hit a ball any harder. I'll always be convinced that he would have been a great pro baseball player had he not gone to the NFL.
CreedBratton
Flagged. Wrong board
TwoTimeAg
AG
Tuesday afternoon games with D.D. on the mic, George in the stands spewing his gems, Doctoring the Tardis on the crummy speakers, Jerry Mathers as the Beaver and I'm a Little Teapot in the stands.
coupland boy
AG
When do i get my hat?
Zosima
Absolutely demolishing FSU in game 3 super regional. I was listening to the game on the internet in some little coffee shop in Guatemala since where I was staying did not have TV or internet.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

Tuesday afternoon games with D.D. on the mic, George in the stands spewing his gems, Doctoring the Tardis on the crummy speakers, Jerry Mathers as the Beaver and I'm a Little Teapot in the stands.
This.

I remember George got his graduate degree (Masters or Phd?) but what ever happened to him?

Surely he has been back for a game.

For the rooks out there, George was the beginning of the raggies.

I also have fond memories of Cookie from North Carolina. Aggies hosted NC in a regional and Cookie was the first target. (fishing pole with a Twinkie attached hanging over their dugout etc) and he played along.

Towards the end of the Regional, Cookie was a fan favorite and everyone was cheering for him.

He also played football and it just happened that the Aggies traveled to North Carolina and Dave South reported back that Cookie sent his regards to the Aggies.

Great fun.
thebubbaisin
AG
1993 vs tu on Friday night. Both teams were stacked, and I believe we were ranked 1 and tu 2 in one of the polls. That game was Jeff Granger vs. Brooks Kieschnick on the mound, and Kieschnick was also tu's best hitter. Got in line early that morning and barely made it in Olsen. Highlight, besides winning 6-3, was Granger striking out Kieschnick on three pitches at a key moment of the game. The place exploded!
DrZ
AG
Watching the Ags play at Travis Park in Bryan while during construction periods in 1974. It was a memory, not a particularly good one.
monarch
S
That Twinkie on a fishing pole was hilarious. I remember that Cookie had his picture taken with 10-12 Raggies after the game. That was back in the day when Olsen Field was highly intimidating and opposing teams really didn't like playing here. The whole crowd was into ragging the life out of whoever we were playing.

Great stuff.
coupland boy
AG
thebubbaisin said:

1993 vs tu on Friday night. Both teams were stacked, and I believe we were ranked 1 and tu 2 in one of the polls. That game was Jeff Granger vs. Brooks Kieschnick on the mound, and Kieschnick was also tu's best hitter. Got in line early that morning and barely made it in Olsen. Highlight, besides winning 6-3, was Granger striking out Kieschnick on three pitches at a key moment of the game. The place exploded!

Was at that game in Aggie Alley!! Some good Ags let me on their scaffold and our shortstop hit a homer that flew a few feet over me. Good times!!!

I had a missed call from College Station and I'm in a staff meeting. Was someone from TexAgs trying to call about my hat?
AggieTFA06
AG
I don't go to a lot of Aggie baseball games, and so one of my favorite memories is actually the 5 hour Game 1 Super Regional game vs Davidson
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
tbone421998
AG
All three games of the '89 Longhorn series.
CoppellAg93
AG
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but ....

1991 season home game against TCU (i think) - we were down 9-1 in the eighth inning and scored 4 in the 8th and 5 in the 9th to win the game 10-9. Our dates wanted to bail early but we stuck it out.

Anyone else remember that game ?
el_guapo
First: '89. John Byington. Mayhem.

Second: I think it was the same year (maybe '88). We were playing LSU and the packed out crowd was into it like I've never seen it. The Raggies were exceptionally creative in coming up with chants and the whole crowd followed. Even the LSU players were laughing in the dugout. Was totally sold on Aggie baseball after that. Will hardly even go to pro games to this day because they are so boring in comparison.
el_guapo
I realize the '89 John Byington day was not post-season, but nothing else including any post-season game comes remotely close. Forget the hat.
hunter2012
AG
Simond's No Hitter against Vandy in 2016.

What's great was he was mowing them so fast nobody in our section noticed until the top of the ninth when we were trying to figure out why the game went so fast. I remember looking up at the scoreboard and seeing the reason. needless to say those last 2 outs were super memorable. a diving catch in centerfield, and a line drive to the pitcher's glove.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.