Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Gig'em, Jerrod

8,756 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coldmoose
HWDYDMIT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Former A&M QB Jerrod Johnson headed to the NFL
Agman13
AG
Gig Em. I like how he is humble and represents A&M.
Lateralus Ag
94 Killer
AG
He's smart, he's relentless, and he understands the game. More importantly he has a gift for communicating his expertise and passion. He's going to be a head coach.
mcag83
AG
JJ
Tudster
libertyag
AG
Good for him. I wish him all the best and tons and tons of success.
StickTogetherAgs
mgreen
He earned it. Great guy and role model.
Lungblood
Did anyone read the article?
Liquid Wrench
Lungblood said:

Did anyone read the article?
Yes, and it oddly omitted the fact that he's been coaching high school players in Houston.
Liquid Wrench
Shut it down said:

Sounds like an affirmative action make-work position
Stop working your politics into every board.
Beer30
AG
Shut it down said:

Sounds like an affirmative action make-work position

Sounds like...? Do a little research before you spout off. Everything I read says it's a vocational tool to give minorities an opportunity to gain some knowledge and NFL experience. That's all. It's not mandated by the NFL, and participation is totally voluntary by each team (although all 32 do it). The resumes of candidates I've seen have been pretty impressive.
TheSwingingGate
Trillary Clinton
He likely didn't have ever a chance playing. Glad he found a spot coaching
Fizban
Quote:

Sounds like...? Do a little research before you spout off. Everything I read says it's a vocational tool to give minorities an opportunity to gain some knowledge and NFL experience.

Isn't that what he said?

I hope he succeeds because by all accounts he is a decent human being, but any program targeting minorities is by definition affirmative action.

Lungblood
Quote:

It's not mandated by the NFL, and participation is totally voluntary by each team (although all 32 do it).
totally
Flashdiaz
AG
Fizban said:

Quote:

Sounds like...? Do a little research before you spout off. Everything I read says it's a vocational tool to give minorities an opportunity to gain some knowledge and NFL experience.

Isn't that what he said?

I hope he succeeds because by all accounts he is a decent human being, but any program targeting minorities is by definition affirmative action.

ok, so it's an optional educational tool targeted to minorities which defines it as affirmative action.
agreed, let's move on instead of trying to belittle a good ag's job and hopefully career in the NFL.
Al Bula
AG
Freaking awesome news. Jerrod will be a head coach somewhere one day.
Galborathelion
Trillary Clinton said:

He likely didn't have ever a chance playing. Glad he found a spot coaching
He might have if our staff didn't trot him out on the field so soon after botching his shoulder
Yukon Cornelius
AG
sounds like him being black was a big part of him why he was hired..

"The diversity program was started by Walsh so minority coaches could receive more and better opportunities. All 32 NFL teams participate in the program. "

Not hiring a person because they are black = Racism

Hiring a person because he is black = not racism

Putting white coaches at a disadvantage because they are white = not racism

makes sense.

I should add the reason I said what I did above was not to get on a soap box but it frustrates me that they include that.

I am happy for him and was always a big fan of his. I want the article to say the 49ers hired because of his qualifications and work ethic and what they think he will add not because he has a certain type of skin color.
Sparkie
AG
Agree or disagree with the policy, Im looking forward to seeing JJ succeed. I don't know any instance where he wasn't a great Ag.
agdaddy04
AG
He's only been hired for the summer and it's part of this specific program, so why would they not mention it?
Buck Nasty
AG
I, for one, am glad that we're finally seeing some People of Color being represented in the NFL!
C Loves L
ConLaw
AG
Affirmative action exists because racism against blacks exists. Otherwise there would be far more black coaches among a sport where blacks are overwhelmingly the dominant players. HTH
Liquid Wrench
ConLaw said:

Affirmative action exists because racism against blacks exists. Otherwise there would be far more black coaches among a sport where blacks are overwhelmingly the dominant players. HTH
Just out of curiosity, how many current NFL coaches would you say had legitimate playing careers?
Fizban
ConLaw said:

So if I understand your theory correctly, the greatest players make the greatest coaches?

If only there were some way to test that theory...

Quote:

Titans coach Mike Munchak knows he's in rare company.
Sure, he's one of 32 NFL head coaches. But he's also only the seventh Hall of Fame player since the 1970 merger to later work as a head coach in this league.

He joined Raymond Berry, Mike Ditka, Forrest Gregg, Art Shell and Mike Singletary as Hall of Fame players turned coaches when named the Titans' head coach Feb. 7, 2011. Dick LeBeau is one of five men who coached before being inducted into the Hall of Fame since the merger.

Ditka won a Super Bowl with the 1985 Chicago Bears, beating Berry's New England Patriots. Gregg also won an AFC championship with Cincinnati. Only Ditka, Berry and Art Shell have winning records as coaches. Singletary took over in San Francisco with nine games left in 2008 only to be fired after 15 games in 2010.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/28/titans-coach-mike-munchak-only-7th-hall-fame-player-to-later-coach-in-nfl-needs.html

Munchak was fired in 2014 and like most other HoF players turned coaches has a sub .500 career record as a head coach.

Liquid Wrench
Good article from last year: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/16378780/ranking-nfl-head-coaches-players-32-1
Fizban
ChiliBeans said:

Good article from last year: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/16378780/ranking-nfl-head-coaches-players-32-1

A good summary.

Coaching is not playing. They are very different skill-sets and very very few people have the time or aptitude to develop both. Of course recognizing this takes a little more thought than reflexively screaming racism...

ag-bq-seventy
AG
Good for him. He's a good man and a good Aggie.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I wish him all the best.

Affirmative Action may have helped open the door, but he had to be knocking in the first place.

It will also be his success as a coach which will dictate his staying power and growth.

Everybody who succeeds had someone give them a chance.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Coaching is not playing. They are very different skill-sets and very very few people have the time or aptitude to develop both. Of course recognizing this takes a little more thought than reflexively screaming racism...
Yeah, and they're different career paths. If you're playing through your twenties, you're not sitting in an office editing film or assembling binders as a quality control assistant. The real difference is at the entry level, not the head coach interview. I guess that's what this program is trying to address.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Had he not injured and had his throwing shoulder operated on before his senior year, we would have had a very different & better 2010 season.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.