Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Watching Aggie Football Through SlingTV

3,397 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fitzwilly
jc100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to move to Houston for work and am thinking ahead to fall.

I would like to purchase a $40 internet-only package from AT&T, and then add a Sling TV subscription for $20/ month during football season for ESPN and SECN (I will only watch the games, not the leftist propaganda. Promise.)

Does anyone use this setup or have any feedback?

AFR because gotta watch the Ags without paying $150/ month.
technoviking
AG
I use sling, it's been awesome.

It's been especially awesome for watching Aggie baseball.
sawemoff2010
AG
It'll be 25/mo to include the expanded sports package, but ive done it the last 2 seasons with little problem. I will warn you... If you have spotty internet, router, or host device (e.g. a crappy Roku) you will regret it
technoviking
AG
Yes, op, invest in a high quality internet service/router if you want to take full advantage of sling, it's frustrating as hell watching broken feeds.
Seamaster
AG
Its exactly what I've done for two + years now.

Must have good internet and strong WiFi signal. If you're house is modem far from the TV you're using you'll want to use a Wifi extender.

I use Amazon Fire TV for the app.

Really works perfect as long as you're set up is good.

HD antenna for the local stations for CBS games. I also hear there is CBS app that includes ability to watch live CBS in case you're out of good antenna range.

We haven't missed cable.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
I'm not sure if this is a problem with Sling, but I use Playstation Vue and it normally works great EXCEPT when I'm watching a sporting event that lots of other people are watching. When I do, it freezes and buffers like crazy, and this is with a wired connection.

Is this a problem on Sling as well? Sadly, I'm about to switch back to cable before football season because I can't stand missing big plays in big games anymore.
sawemoff2010
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Sling, but I use Playstation Vue and it normally works great EXCEPT when I'm watching a sporting event that lots of other people are watching. When I do, it freezes and buffers like crazy, and this is with a wired connection.

Is this a problem on Sling as well? Sadly, I'm about to switch back to cable before football season because I can't stand missing big games in big plays anymore.

Like others have said, as long as the set up is good, you'll have no issues with Sling. Plus it's cheaper than PSVue
jc100
AG
Thank y'all so much for the help! Looking forward to saving a few hundred $'s this year.
Get Off My Lawn
You'll need to use an antenna as well to cover down on the primary networks. Those actually come in HD, so it's better than the current ESPN/Sling product and you can get a good one for $35. You can also add in a DVR/TiVo type device for a couple hundered bucks if you care to record the games.
Caesar4
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

You'll need to use an antenna as well to cover down on the primary networks. Those actually come in HD, so it's better than the current ESPN/Sling product and you can get a good one for $35. You can also add in a DVR/TiVo type device for a couple hundered bucks if you care to record the games.
It looks like Sling has a DVR feature. Will that not work?

Quote:

At Sling TV, we strive to give you the features you want most. Since Sling TV's launch, customers have told us how much they love the ability to watch their favorite shows, movies, and games from anyplace. Now, with the launch of Cloud DVR, they will be able to watch these at any time.

Our DVR is incredibly simple. Use the "On Now," "Guide," or "Sports" tabs to find a show, movie, or game you'd like to record. Select it, then simply select Record to set a recording. For a series, record All or just New episodes. Cloud DVR functionality is not available on all channels.

Access your latest recordings quickly from My TV. Select My DVR on the My TV screen to access your entire DVR, see upcoming recordings, and manage your storage. When you reach capacity, your oldest watched recordings will automatically delete to free up space for new ones.
Get Off My Lawn
That's news to me, and yep - that should do it for ESPN, SECN! You may still want one for CBS, FOX, etc. since you'll probably still be pulling those from the antenna, but that'll make it cheaper if you choose that option.
Caesar4
Jock 07
AG
Pro tip: a coaxial cable stripped with about a foot of the copper wire exposed works as an antenna as well
dcbowers
AG
Jock 07 said:

Pro tip: a coaxial cable stripped with about a foot of the copper wire exposed works as an antenna as well

Pics? Quality of signal? Distance from signal source?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jock 07
AG
All the OTA channels including the extra ones come in just fine. In fact, I'd argue the picture is clearer OTA than via satellite or cable. Don't know the distance from the towers but I live in town. Works here and when I lived in Colorado just fine.

Fitzwilly
AG
I had Sling for one year and regretted it for sure. My biggest problem though, was I was streaming through an older version Amazon Fire Stick. I think if you used a newer streaming device you'd probably be fine. I have 300mb internet at my house and even with that, it would freeze during the live games.

Infuriating...

I would say you get what you pay for. I'm back to cable and loving it... even with the price tag.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.