Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How to watch Aggie Football using Roku

9,352 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by redjalapeno-87
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My husband wants to get rid of Direct TV. The only thing I can't figure out is how to watch live football.

Will Watch ESPN be good enough?

My daughter goes to Alabama so I want to watch their games too.
Matsui
AG
Without a cable service you can't get watch espn

But you can get ps vue or sling or youtubetv to get it
BDub3
AG
I have SlingTv and rabbit ears and can watch all of the Aggie games. Rabbit ears covers CBS games and SlingTV Orange plus the $5 sports package gets you all the ESPN channels (including SEC Network). Way cheaper than cable, but make sure your internet package allows for 500+ GB of data downloads per month and has fast enough speed for HD streaming.
GreatSullysGhost
I never suggest that someone get an android box for their TV with the kodi app on it and download several sports add-ons.

Never.
SVaggie84
AG
We got the Roku, and we are trying it out. We got a free trial of sling and PS Vue. Husband likes PS vue.

Our Internet must be good enough. Everything i's working well. I'm ready to ditch Direct TV.
Jason Ag
AG
Sling runs deals were you can get a free roku, you might be able to call and ask.
howdy2u
AG
What's the DVR situation like with any of these options?

Would like to ditch DirecTv as well, but between size limits, time limits, exclusions, what's in beta and what's generally available, it is hard to tell just from Googling what it'd actually be like.
XIIthMan
Roku is run by an Aggie, Anthony Wood, and is a great device and company.

Sling TV is a super deal because you get SEC network as part of the $5 sports package!! So for $25 a month, you get quite a few cable stations plus all ESPN stations plus SEC network, which has been showing many Aggie games the last few years. AT&T also has a new streaming package, but Sling has been the better value. Sling also allows you to view WatchESPN as a TV provider.
AgsMyDude
AG
Also get an antenna for regular channels. We've got one installed in the attic and get 30 something local channels in 1080p. That plus a sling subscription gets us all the CBS games and espn as well.
jtp01
AG
What about the CBS add on. It's only $5.00/mo. Will it allow for viewing the games? We "cut the cord" in January and I want to make sure we will be good to go. We do get regular shows live.
WhereItsWarm
AG
GreatSullysGhost said:

I never suggest that someone get an android box for their TV with the kodi app on it and download several sports add-ons.

Never.

Any specific add-ons that you would never recommend? I dont know anyone who just got one and is trying to figure it out.
SVaggie84
AG
Thanks everyone. Looks like we are on the rightop path.

Can't wait to ditch Direct TV!

Next on the list is how to reduce our mobile phone bill!
TV sucks.
AgsMyDude
AG
jtp01 said:

What about the CBS add on. It's only $5.00/mo. Will it allow for viewing the games? We "cut the cord" in January and I want to make sure we will be good to go. We do get regular shows live.

Reading my post right above yours.
Synopsis
Brice3 said:

I have SlingTv and rabbit ears and can watch all of the Aggie games. Rabbit ears covers CBS games and SlingTV Orange plus the $5 sports package gets you all the ESPN channels (including SEC Network). Way cheaper than cable, but make sure your internet package allows for 500+ GB of data downloads per month and has fast enough speed for HD streaming.
THIS. The extra $5/mo for the SEC package is well worth it. Your setup is perfect.
saw em off
I love it how your husband is getting rid of DTV yet you're the one trying to figure out how to watch football. You're hot!
schwack schwack
AG
We're screwed. We live out in the country with 5 up/down internet. Fastest we can get.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
WhereItsWarm said:

GreatSullysGhost said:

Never.

Any specific add-ons that you would never recommend? I dont know anyone who just got one and is trying to figure it out.

I don't want to know this either.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
schwack schwack said:

We're screwed. We live out in the country with 5 up/down internet. Fastest we can get.

You won't be able to do much else while streaming, but 5 down should at least be functional, though it may beuffer or pixelate occasionally.

You don't need ridiculous speed to stream stuff.
Convincingly
AG
Fine I'll say it, rule 1
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Brice3 said:

I have/do the same. Can see every A&M game no problem. There is a chance the UCLA game could be on Fox but highly unlikely, probably CBS as it is one of few games on Sunday and the premiere game on Sunday.

With SlingTV sports pass you get SECN and SECN+, so even the 11 AM games on the alternate network you will get them no problem.

I was a fairly early adopter to Sling. The one thing I would highly recommend is to have your ROKU connected via an Ethernet cable to the router such as a cable box. Makes the picture flawless. It will work wifi but not nearly as well.m

For antenna I have Mohu Curve 50.

Lastly, the picture from the antenna for CBS games is MUCH better than any cable or satellite. These days with so many replays and all highlights being just about instantly available, as well as the entire game within 24 hours online, I do not even miss not being able to pause, rewind or record. I have 2 boys at home under 5, so if I can do it and make it work anyone can.

With SlingTV orange (the original) at $20 and $5 for sports pass that is $25 total. Maybe another $50 for internet, and you are saving a lot of $. I have the Sling Blue package also for my Euro football fix, which is another $25. Still at less than $100/month.

Orange is ESPN Based, Blue is Fox based and also includes NBCSN, Fox Sports Regional, and NFLN. with SlingTV orange subscription you will also have access to WatchESPN.

Good luck. Cut the cord, quit paying the extra $100 for 150 extra channels you don't need or watch.
jja79
AG
Hasn't UCLA already been announced as a Fox game?
BRAVEAG
Quote:

My daughter goes to Alabama

I'm sorry.
SVaggie84
AG
BRAVEAG - I'm not sorry she's at Alabama. She got a full OOS tuition scholarship. She'll graduate with 2 degrees and will have money for grad school.

She's a communications disorders major on her way to becoming a speech therapist.
fistofsouth
schwack schwack said:

Well it isn't exactly cheap, but you do have options:

Satellite Broadband
Shooz in Katy
AG
SVaggie84 said:

BRAVEAG - I'm not sorry she's at Alabama. She got a full OOS tuition scholarship. She'll graduate with 2 degrees and will have money for grad school.

She's a communications disorders major on her way to becoming a speech therapist.

You know, she could get her PhD thesis on communication disorders done in one day here on the TexAgs Football forum. HTH
Jock 07
AG
SVaggie84 said:

very nice, wife is an SLP
OregonAg03
AG
Maybe dumb question -- do we need roku to get access to sling tv? We are in the exact same situation -- husband wants to cut cable but before we do that I want to get the sports thing figured out. We can access Netflix and Hulu through our PlayStation, I believe, but that's the limit of my knowledge.
AgsMyDude
AG
OregonAg03 said:

Maybe dumb question -- do we need roku to get access to sling tv? We are in the exact same situation -- husband wants to cut cable but before we do that I want to get the sports thing figured out. We can access Netflix and Hulu through our PlayStation, I believe, but that's the limit of my knowledge.

You should be able to access your sling TV content via the Playstation. I'd actually look into the Playstation vue subscription. Much cheaper than sling
farmersfightatm
I have PlayStation Vue instead of Sling...free unlimited cloud DVR for 30 days...liked the package more than Sling. Also includes Fox and CBS local channels in Austin area. Mohu leaf for HD local broadcast. PSVUE account also gives me WatchESPN capability...since I don't want to watch their liberal BS political shows...
Jock 07
AG
Do you have to have a play station for the vue?
AgsMyDude
AG
Jock 07 said:

Do you have to have a play station for the vue?
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/
fdt93
AG
When you "cut the cord," what do you use for broadband internet? Or do you just cancel all the TV packages with the cable company and keep their internet?
Aggiestro
PSVue via amazon fire (or PS4) or gtfo. Superior to any alternative currently available if u have decent interspeedwebs (10+ MBPS)
XIIthMan
That's great! She can move to Tennessee!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.