Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN will cut more than 40 on-air personalities in May

17,993 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agz win
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/espn-will-cut-40-air-personalities-may-161210167.html
Meximan
Unlike Alabama, they can't keep 1,000 players and coaches on the payroll forever.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
From the comments:

You knew ESPN was heading in the wrong direction when they awarded Caitlyn Jenner the Arthur Ashe award.
Mr. Peterman
As long as they keep Maria Taylor and Cari Champion for at least the eye candy.
aggieaviator
AG
Too bad. So sad.
Rock1982
AG
ESPN earned this.
BaileyAg
AG
Good riddance
FriscoKid
AG
The LHN didn't deliver?
FriscoKid
AG
Woobie said:

From the comments:

You knew ESPN was heading in the wrong direction when they awarded Caitlyn Jenner the Arthur Ashe award.

That too
Lungblood
Ha
Ringo88
AG
In their efforts to jettison the payroll of higher-priced "stars" a few years ago, they loaded up on JV players who no one cares about. As it is with most companies making personnel decisions behind the curve, they'll cut their bloated roster and you'll never miss the players.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Mr. Peterman said:

Did we just become best friends?
Leander - Ag
AG
Burn it down
Liquid Wrench
Lumberjack games and strongman competitions were always more interesting than their ridiculous talk shows.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They should hold a poll and let the fans select atleast on personality to be cut.
greg.w.h
AG
Our SEC Network revenue probably will go down simultaneously with ESPN's decline due to cable cutting. We might be insulated because our network is purpose specific or they might hand more of the duties and costs to the schools on non-revenue sports to attempt to slow the plunge.

I honestly just am uninterested in most of their content. And force feeding political perspectives (presumably to reach the mostly disinterested in "sports ball" millennials) makes the content unlistenable (I can turn down the sound to a light background and still catch details I care about on live actual sports broadcasts.)

I also think it's mostly not fixable. They were a juggernaut and dominated through the perception of invulnerability due in large part to being unchallenged for the first 20 years (plus novel all sports format.) Could even blame the ABC then Disney lashups but I think it's more fundamentally about overexposure than anything else. We used to starve for being able to watch SPORTS (not commenrary) and needed reliable sports news without waiting for the newspaper (that inevitably failed to report late games anyway.). The ESPN tackled both and kept it fun. Now the Internet solves the news problem and I'm out of time and attention to watch everything. And they have shifted to the MTV model of filling schedule with things that eke out revenue but really aren't compelling commentary.

It would be sad except it is exactly how commerce needs to work: innovate or die.
fredfredunderscorefred
Too bad fox sports had the opportunity to cut into the ESPN pie but decided instead that formula 1 racing all day is what the people wanted
Al Bula
AG
I watch more sports programming on FS1 and NBC Sports than I do on ESPN.

No great loss.
jja79
AG
Being able to watch so much CFB is probably going to change.
bkimble12
AG
If they cut Bomani Jones, I'll give them another chance.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Lumberjack games and strongman competitions were always more interesting than their ridiculous talk shows.

Marius Pudjanowski!
AMF 2 AMC
AG
ddp, so Magnus ver Magnusson!
GarryowenAg
AG
I hope they cut Stephan A., Hill, and Michael Smith. They're a channel changer for me.
Liquid Wrench

CrazyDayDuck
More sports and less jibber jabber from these dumb jocks.
zmurda
I love how they advertise "the 6" for being sports, music, movies, etc. like that's something that people wanted. Who was in that focus group....middle aged black women that were forced to watch sports center with their husbands?
ClassOf17
You know damn well they won't cut Michele and Jameal from the Six thing
ViralAg
They'll keep all of their minority liberal talking heads. You can count on that.
Sex Panther
AG
What the **** is The 6? Is that like ESPN's version of The Five on Fox News?
Mr. Peterman
raging_agaholic said:

Mr. Peterman said:

Did we just become best friends?

Yes
BostonAg74
For all but the marquee games, they could save a lot of money by simply contracting with the home school's broadcast team for each game instead of bringing their own overpriced morons. Telecast by ESPN. Play by play and color by anyone but ESPN.
Liquid Wrench
Just imagine the glory of Dave & Dave going nationwide.
RedlineAg08
bomani jones and Steve a Smith have to go. Both of these are **** personalities that try to act hard or gangsta and it's painful... but I pretty much can't tolerate any of them outside of Russilo and Kanell.

Would be nice if they just went back to being a highlight show. I'd love to watch more strongman, lumberjack stuff.
BostonAg74
ChiliBeans said:

Just imagine the glory of Dave & Dave going nationwide.
That was my thought.
monarch
S
Don't laugh to much folks; the SECN is tied in heavily to ESPN and we get a good chunk of change from that relationship. The contracts ESPN has will eventually become, if they haven't already, to expensive to maintain and consequently, that will translate to a reduction in fee's which will translate into a reduction in revenue, etc, etc, etc. This is going to happen to FOX also and BEIN Sports, and others that are set up as ESPN. OH CRAP- it might impact the LONGHORN Network also! Oh well.

Be prepared.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.