Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Buzbee is sick of A&M's contracts

12,231 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HowdyTAMU
Texas A & M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&M plummets in the rankings under Sharp so of course the regents offer a ridiculous extension.

Quote:

"You never extend an employment contract when you are not even halfway into the contract, absent some compelling reason," Buzbee said. "This isn't good government. No one has provided any justification for this extension, despite my requests."

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/21/m-system-chancellor-john-sharp-could-be-line-contract-extension/
Mike Elko
AG
Basically every contract at A&M is terrible. Our university's going down the pooper.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Sharp and Young
CrazyDayDuck
AustinAg2012 said:

Our university's going down the pooper.

No it isn't.

Our endowment is the 7th largest in the nation (approaching 11 billion the last I looked).

Money talks.

Let these butt-hurt liberals give out their high rankings to liberal universities.

Of course, now with Young as our President, people are wondering just how conservative we really are.

This could explain why we went to the Left Coast to get both our President and AD.
CrazyDayDuck
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Sharp and Young

I agree with you on the endless virtue signaler Young.

That liberal is more well-suited for Berkeley.
lakeside aggie
AG
Both men are far too liberal for me.
TXAggie2011
AG
Doesn't sound like the liberals are the butt-hurt ones here...
C Loves L
Good Ol' Boy system. So many wonder why A&M can't get over the hump in football
CrazyDayDuck
TXAggie2011 said:

If you think these rankings are not fake, then you probably went into election night thinking Hillary had it in the bag.

All the public universities went down, and it's because they emphasis the hard sciences (Math, Science and Engineering).

The private universities went up on account that they emphasis the soft sciences (liberal arts).

For a perfect illustration, Dallas Baptist went up while UTD went down. Give me a break.

An Asian kid with an engineering degree from UTD is going to make three times as much as some white girl graduating from Dallas Baptist with a history degree.

Let the liberals have fun with their fake rankings.
JPK89
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Our university's going down the pooper.

No it isn't.

Our endowment is the 7th largest in the nation (approaching 11 billion the last I looked).

Money talks.

Let these butt-hurt liberals give out their high rankings to liberal universities.

Of course, now with Young as our President, people are wondering just how conservative we really are.

This could explain why we went to the Left Coast to get both our President and AD.

Excellent post.
1876er
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TXAggie2011 said:

If you think these rankings are not fake, then you probably went into election night thinking Hillary had it in the bag.

All the public universities went down, and it's because they emphasis the hard sciences (Math, Science and Engineering).

The private universities went up on account that they emphasis the soft sciences (liberal arts).

For a perfect illustration, Dallas Baptist went up while UTD went down. Give me a break.

An Asian kid with an engineering degree from UTD is going to make three times as much as some white girl graduating from Dallas Baptist with a history degree.

Let the liberals have fun with their fake rankings.

User name checks out.
Trident 88
AG
When I leave money for A&M, it will sure as sh*t be spent on scholarships for promising young students, not to line the pockets of the rich fat cats only getting richer off the blind faithful.
greg.w.h
AG
Trident 88 said:

When I leave money for A&M, it will sure as sh*t be spent on scholarships for promising young students, not to line the pockets of the rich fat cats only getting richer off the blind faithful.
Nice try. What do you think the scholarship pays for?
TXAggie2011
AG
Yes. There aren't Asians doing hard science at the likes of Stanford, Duke, MIT, Johns Hopkins and all the top ranked schools. Yes, indeed.

I mean, come on, the rankings have their faults, no need to make stuff up.

I don't know what UTD and DBU did in the rankings, but UT Dallas is still ranked 70something spots higher than DBU.

Many public schools are seeing their funding cut while increasing their enrollment. You might have read about that in the Texas news. Still, some public universities were among the largest gainers in the rankings.
TXAggie2011
AG
greg.w.h said:

Trident 88 said:

Maybe he's means he'll give money to a scholarship fund and not one of the many other not-necessarily-a-scholarship funds?
Meximan
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Sharp and Young
Neither of which is an apt descriptor.
Trident 88
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

greg.w.h said:

Trident 88 said:

Maybe he's means he'll give money to a scholarship fund and not one of the many other not-necessarily-a-scholarship funds?

Of course, that's what I meant. Was anyone else besides Greg not already aware that you can do this?
CrazyDayDuck
TXAggie2011 said:

Yes. There aren't Asians doing hard science at the likes of Stanford, Duke, MIT, Johns Hopkins and all the top ranked schools. Yes, indeed.

I don't know what UTD and DBU did in the rankings, but UT Dallas is still ranked 70something spots higher than DBU.

Many public schools are seeing their funding cut while increasing their enrollment. You might have read about that in the Texas news. Still, some public universities were among the largest gainers in the rankings.

Oh pleeeze.

Anyone who gets worked up on the USNWR rankings needs to realize that it is increasingly becoming a liberal popularity contest.

25 years ago it was more credible. Kind of like how 25 years ago CNN was more credible.

Nobody believes SMU and Baylor are better schools that A&M... not even the liberal freaks that came up with this ranking.

We're still behind Rice and tu but that's always been the case.

This ranking is a joke and everyone knows it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Butt. Hurt.
greg.w.h
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

greg.w.h said:

Trident 88 said:

The scholarship pays for what and who benefits from the revenue?
greg.w.h
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Oh pleeeze.

Anyone who gets worked up on the USNWR rankings needs to realize that it is increasingly becoming a liberal popularity contest.

25 years ago it was more credible. Kind of like how 25 years ago CNN was more credible.

Nobody believes SMU and Baylor are better schools that A&M... not even the liberal freaks that came up with this ranking.

Another way of saying it: what evidence validates the ranking factors? And what is actually being evaluated? And at its essence can it detect any specific outcome that isn't premised on simply spending more money?

Because otherwise all it does is confirm the bias that spending more money is directly related to the value of attending a specific institution and largely confirms the bias that the coastal schools where more money is spent and the older Midwestern schools that are experiencing population decline are significantly superior.

I've never seen that in real life. They're sharp and have some cultural advantages (think not a drawl while working in the Midwest or on the coasts or being viewed--Ivies--as being more qualified for federal government leadership. But mostly the difference individuals outweighs the difference in institutions. Which I'm mildly confident is your position on rankings.
biobioprof
greg.w.h said:

TXAggie2011 said:

greg.w.h said:

Trident 88 said:

The scholarship pays for what and who benefits from the revenue?
Maybe the plan is to leave money for a "scholarship" that only pays for a sports pass and beer at Northgate.
TXAggie2011
AG
FriscoKid
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
how long til UTA passes us up ?
VanZandt92
You don't get how this education thing works.
VanZandt92
azulAg said:

how long til UTA passes us up ?

Uta has had a good business school for years.
VanZandt92
CrazyDayDuck said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Oh pleeeze.

I'm in education at an ACC institution. The ranking is no joke.
Bonfire96
AG
Seems like schools with poor rankings are the only ones that think the rankings don't matter or are stupid.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

f you think these rankings are not fake, then you probably went into election night thinking Hillary had it in the bag.
If we were higher in the rankings you and John Sharp would be bragging about them. Because we are falling you blame the boogie man liberals.
Mudpie
These threads just slay me.

If a university is the equivalent of an Elon Musk or Mark Zuckerberg, then it can thumb its nose at things like the USNWR rankings and the people who care about them. That kind of thing is rare though, and only a deluded moron would think that that is the the academic status of A&M right now.

Like it or not, these rankings matter, and A&M cannot afford to dismiss them. We're moving down the list, and this is unacceptable.
nomadic_ag
AG
It's seems like we're taking more of a Walmart approach to education. Has anyone seen our standardized testing minimal requirements? In our goal to reach 80,000 students or whatever, I think we're compromising some things.
nomadic_ag
AG
Nm
Joe Exotic
AG
Bonfire96 said:

Seems like schools with poor rankings are the only ones that think the rankings don't matter or are stupid.

Every public university in Texas fell while every private school jumped. The sips fell four spots. We fell four spots. UT-Dallas, which has been widely regarded as one of the most well run and up and coming schools in the state, also fell around 6 spots.

Why do you think that is?
TXAggie2011
AG
Undoubtedly, budget cuts often coupled with increasing enrollment have effects on Texas' public universities.

Still, UT-Dallas remains 20+ spots higher than they were, say, just 2 or 3 years ago.

Again, the rankings have faults and you can debate the intricacies about them, but let's stop ignoring the Texas public education system has not faced some serious obstacles and challenges in the past few years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.