Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

4 reasons the SEC should replace its divisions with this scheduling plan

3,945 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by petey88
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation
sleepybeagle
AG
I suppose that would work too.
Agnzona
I like that way better and see no real downside especially for us.
jrico2727
AG
This makes Alabama everyone's problem not just the West. The East wouldn't sign up for it because they wouldn't likely have a team in the championship every year.
FL_Ag1998
AG
For some reason I just can't bring myself to give a **** about playing Missouri. Ever.
Ben Puig 97
AG
I like it.
vander54
S
I've always liked this method. It might not be perfect but it works.
Raptor
AG
But will the cable companies care about their current contracts ..or.....

TexAg75
AG
No thanks to Missouri...ever. Even South Carolina would be much preferred.
JJxvi
AG
I like how the article completely fails to mention that they don't have Arkansas paired up with LSU, even when commenting on which rivalries were left out. Almost like they hope you dont notice.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I would trade getting beat by Bama every year for playing Missouri every year and getting beat by Bama every other year.
JJxvi
AG
OK, Alabama should be paired with Ole Miss and LSU should be paired with Arkansas and that fixes it. Pairing Alabama and LSU is just schilling for a compelling matchup over the past several years and not a rivalry. They can play each other when it comes around, they dont need to be rivals. Ole Miss-Alabama, LSU-Arkansas both more of rivalry games.
Leander - Ag
AG
mizzu ... meh
AnalogyAg
i actually made this EXACT proposal to Mike Slive in 2011 (with some of the matchups different).

it is superior to what we have now. you would have a home-and-home with every SEC team at least every 4 years, and you preserve at least your top rival and generally top 2 every year.

i think they stole my letter...
zephyr88
AG
I'm pretty sure Saban hasn't approved these yet...
ironmanag
AG
I like this alot except the Mizzou part.
Ag Tag
Not a bad idea.
I don't care about the divisions but I think the SEC should play a 9 game conference schedule.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not sure what there is that appealing. We play Auburn, LSU, Bama, Ark, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Carolina annually. Nine games would fix the cross-division rotation from a game every six years to home-and-home every six.

The division is round robin annually so there is no escaping divisionmates to get to the conference championship. This pod-style pairings doesn't solve any problem and eliminated solid potential rivalries that are still forming.

By comparison successfully getting rid of Carolina and annual games with the other West teams and gaining Missouri and reinforcing the "team we used to occasionally play in the Big 12 as a key rival in the new conference" is surprisingly the opposite of the one thing I was looking for in a proposal: how to improve the rotation through the east division. Maybe protect important rivalries and rotate the rest.

I have to admit: it's a scheduling scheme that can be accomplished. But should all things that could be done be tried? Chocolate-covered cherries soaked in pickle juice suggests no.
Spicewood Ag
AG
I just like the thought of losing to Alabama every other year
Meximan
An interesting idea, though A&M once again gets hosed on SoS in odd years. I still champion four four-team divisions, with one permanent matchup in each of the other 3 divisions; you get a 6-year home-n-home rotation with 9 conference games, plus a final four playoff for the conference.

This wouldn't be terrible, however.
Agnzona
Does anyone like the current system?
aglaes
AG
Not sure how it worked out this way, but our avg schedule opponent rank is toughest - 31.4 - of all the avg schedules.
Ag Tag
Agnzona said:

Probably.
Maroon Dawn
AG
This is how it should be!

....just with us getting to go to Oxford every other year instead of Mizzou!

I know, I know....but I have simply never managed to get excited about playing Mizzou ever and often even forget they're in the SEC too
85Photon
AG
AnalogyAg said:

i actually made this EXACT proposal to Mike Slive in 2011 (with some of the matchups different).

it is superior to what we have now. you would have a home-and-home with every SEC team at least every 4 years, and you preserve at least your top rival and generally top 2 every year.

i think they stole my letter...
Uh huh. Hey, I'll take a Dr. Pepper!
greg.w.h
AG
Agnzona said:

I prefer the current system to any proposal except tossing the cross-division rivalry in favor of either two or three cross-division games. Moving to 16 teams essentially requires an AFC/NFC division system just for viability. That's only time to introduce a radical change. And remember: LSU hates playing Florida annually and the only new cross-division rivalry that really makes sense for both teams is Mizzou v Ark. of the other ones Bama v Tennessee and Auburn v Georgia are rivalry-style mainstays that it would offend the SEC previous members for a new member to campaign against. Indeed: just the eight teams of the AL/TN, AU/GA, Vandy v OM, and Mizzou v Ark have the votes to thwart change largely because each pairing is considered valuable to the participating schools in individual, somewhat esoteric ways.
dixichkn
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
Under this system, UK gets probably the easiest set of permanent opponents. If UK is tearing it up one year, facing the average (for them) State, Vandy, and Mizzou teams is not going to threaten the derailment of their SEC finish. Same is true to a lesser extent for the hogs, though I'd hope A&M would rise above UK's perm. opponent levels.
TexanJeff
AG
Oh man, those schedules look way easier than the **** we have to go through now.
cdowl38
AG
We'd still lose
Triple-T
AG
Far better than what we have now. I like the prospect of visiting ALL the SEC stadiums - in less than the next decade.
njohn87
AG
I don't really care about Missouri one way or another, but if playing them every year meant we got to see the rest of the current Eastern teams more than once in a blue moon, it would be worth it. If we're annual against Arkansas and LSU, there's really not anybody else that I'm just dying to play every year instead.
petey88
33 said:

I don't care about the divisions but I think the SEC should play a 9 game conference schedule.

thanks for your opinion,

I think the sips and baylro should play with each other every week of the BDF season, ya'll deserve each other
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.