Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN Power Rankings Prediction

12,815 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Agristotle
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ESPN (using the FPI) predicts the Ags will go 7-5 next season with losses to UCLA, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and LSU. I am not surprised by this. I have learned to manage my expectations and understand that A&M will have similar records to schools like Kansas State and Arkansas. However, I think that A&M can compete with Florida, LSU, and Auburn this year.
fightinag
Im seeing 6-6 with Sumlin either getting a contract extension, pay raise, or both !
I grew sceptacle of TAMU football and the desire to win three years ago !

but........
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Bone6
Quote:

However, I think that A&M can compete with Florida, LSU, and Auburn this year.

How do you see us better this year than last year?

We lose the best defensively player in the country as well as the second best DE while playing the QB roulette game again...for the 4th year in a row.
John Francis Donaghy
Bone6 said:

Quote:

We lose the best defensively player in the country as well as the second best DE while playing the QB roulette game again...for the 4th year in a row.

Don't forget replacing the LT and RT on the oline, the best player in the secondary, a senior MLB that saw significant playing time, and our top WR.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I want to beat LSU more than anybody this year, get that thing turned around.
Bunk Moreland
fightinag said:

Im seeing 6-6 with Sumlin either getting a contract extension, pay raise, or both !

Impressive misspelling, sir.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
We knock off at least one of those losses above...agree that 7 is the over/under number

This year we are overachieving with better QB play, real TE, great RBs, and LBs finally able to compete in SEC
Schrute
I loathe ESPN, but they are probably correct here. I see no better than 7-5. Even if we beat Florida, UCLA or even LSU, we'll drop a stupid ass game to Miss State or Ole Miss.
AggieDPT
AG
Go 7-5, win ****ty bowl game and end up 8-5. It's the Sumlin way
rwhitlock3
AG
I think we will go 7-5 but have us beating UCLA and losing to either Ole Miss, Miss State, or Arkansas
Ag pride
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Bone6 said:

Quote:

Don't forget replacing the LT and RT on the oline, the best player in the secondary, a senior MLB that saw significant playing time, and our top WR.

IMO Armani is/was the best player in the secondary, so I'd say we kept that.

However the more you guys talk about it the quicker I'm going from 8 to 7 regular season wins
P.C. Principal
6-6

People expect 7-5, and Sumlin isn't the type of coach to exceed any type of expectations. 6-6.
John Francis Donaghy
Ag pride said:

Bone6 said:

Quote:

IMO Armani is/was the best player in the secondary, so I'd say we kept that.

However the more you guys talk about it the quicker I'm going from 8 to 7 regular season wins

I could see that. Either way Evans is still a big loss in the secondary.
CrazyDayDuck
Our-turn-to-rule said:

We knock off at least one of those losses above...agree that 7 is the over/under number

This year we are overachieving with better QB play, real TE, great RBs, and LBs finally able to compete in SEC

Maybe.

But that only put us at 8 wins, still not good enough to prevent a staff shakeup...especially with this Merritt debacle.
vander54
S

Bone6 said:

Quote:

Our secondary sucked last year. I will trade Evans for better CB play any day (early looks are they will be improved).

LB wasn't exactly a good position, and in my opinion we still have our two best LB on the team along with an upgrade in Hines (granted he's a fish).

As for DE we are in trouble right now. Hopefully Clemons can come in and get a pass rush. If he can we will be ok with DE, but a definite downgrade on pass rush.

The tackles may be an issue but we will have one returning with starting experience.

We are not playing QB roulette, we are replacing a one year starter. 2 years ago we played QB roulette with a little person and pretty boy. One of our QB has started a few games and has done a decent job when he has, another is a redshirt. I don't think we will have an all American QB but I think we will be in ok shape with any of them.

WR has tons of talent but very little experience. I think this is one of the easier positions to come in and compete immediately. Hopefully a few live up to their talent levels or at least close.

All that said my biggest concerns are pass rush and LB. All others I think we will be in decent shape or improved. 7 wins is a good safe quess in my opinion. I think 8 are more likely than 6. But anything could happen so who knows.
cedar
No way we beat ucla in the opener on national tv. 6-6 is the best to expect and it could be worse.
rbcs_2
AG
UCLA isn't going to be very good this year. If we don't beat them it's going to be a long season.
Ag Tag
Alabaster Jones said:

Go 7-5, win ****ty bowl game and end up 8-5. It's the Sumlin way

Do y'all think we can make it to the Liberty Bowl?
sleepybeagle
AG
I grow more sceptacle every year
zooguy96
rbcs_2 said:

UCLA isn't going to be very good this year. If we don't beat them it's going to be a long season.

Doesn't matter. They have Rosen and will be playing at home. We will be starting a new QB.

It's going to be a long season.

4-8. Book it.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
zooguy96 said:

rbcs_2 said:

Doesn't matter. They have Rosen and will be playing at home. We will be starting a new QB.

4-8. Book it.

Wager on that number sport??
vander54
S
zooguy96 said:

rbcs_2 said:

4-8. Book it.

Just like how everyone said 4-8 in 2016. Dumb is dumb.
schmellba99
AG
cedar said:

No way we beat ucla in the opener on national tv. 6-6 is the best to expect and it could be worse.

If Sumlin can do anything, it's prepare and have the team ready to play all out for the opener. We weren't supposed to beat UCLA last year. We weren't supposed to beat ASU the year before. We weren't supposed to beat USCe the year before.
BMX Bandit
schmellba99 said:

cedar said:

If Sumlin can do anything, it's prepare and have the team ready to play all out for the opener. We weren't supposed to beat UCLA last year. We weren't supposed to beat ASU the year before. We weren't supposed to beat USCe the year before.

We were picked to win those games
Deputy Travis Junior
Nobody has any idea how we'll do next year because we know so little about our OL & QB. That said, if our line looks like it did last year, and our QB experiences even moderate growing pains, I don't think we make a bowl. Our very mediocre defense lost its best players and is now ready to party like it's 2013. So if our offense isn't legitimately good, we're going to lose a lot of games
allMondjoy
Cutting thru all the pot bangers noise, the following is a realistic scenario.

If Sumlin beats the teams he is suppose to beat with no embarrassing losses, I could see a contract renewal.
He would have to agree to a cheaper buyout as part of the deal.
Another reason a 7-5 record gets him a renewal would be to encourage kids being recruited to stay with A&M.
Ag Law
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Nobody has any idea how we'll do next year because we know so little about our OL & QB. That said, if our line looks like it did last year, and our QB experiences even moderate growing pains, I don't think we make a bowl. Our very mediocre defense lost its best players and is now ready to party like it's 2013. So if our offense isn't legitimately good, we're going to lose a lot of games

speckledtrout
I'm thinking we will see a possible downside of 3 wins to an upside of 5 wins. I'm not impressed with Chavis, either on the field or on the recruiting front. Not sure if the game has passed him by or recruiting athletes from Texas puts him at a large disadvantage.
Ag pride
AG
speckledtrout said:

I'm thinking we will see a possible downside of 3 wins to an upside of 5 wins. I'm not impressed with Chavis, either on the field or on the recruiting front. Not sure if the game has passed him by or recruiting athletes from Texas puts him at a large disadvantage.

His biggest disadvantage is the overall culture of the program IMO
Meximan
WWC2001 said:

ESPN (using the FPI) predicts the Ags will go 7-5 next season with losses to UCLA, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and LSU. I am not surprised by this. I have learned to manage my expectations and understand that A&M will have similar records to schools like Kansas State and Arkansas. However, I think that A&M can compete with Florida, LSU, and Auburn this year.
In a vacuum, if you were to accept the FPI as gospel and ironclad as a projection, then it's actually 8-4 with a win over UCLA, because Sumlin always wins the opener. The streak lives on!
BMX Bandit
Meximan said:

WWC2001 said:

In a vacuum, if you were to accept the FPI as gospel and ironclad as a projection, then it's actually 8-4 with a win over UCLA, because Sumlin always wins the opener. The streak lives on!

Sucks you missed the 2012 season. It was awesome ride
vander54
S
speckledtrout said:

No way we only win 3 and no way we only win 5.
Ian Neff
AG
Let the farewell tour begin.
LtZogg
fightinag said:

but........
I'm a terrible speller, so I'm not throwing stones, but even I can tell that doesn't look right.

I love the "give it a shot and just move on method!"
rbcs_2
AG
Knight_Train said:

Cutting thru all the pot bangers noise, the following is a realistic scenario.

If Sumlin beats the teams he is suppose to beat with no embarrassing losses, I could see a contract renewal.
He would have to agree to a cheaper buyout as part of the deal.
Another reason a 7-5 record gets him a renewal would be to encourage kids being recruited to stay with A&M.

I could be wrong, but I think that would be highly irregular. Buyouts are typically written into contracts to encourage a coach to stay, not to give the school a cheap out if things aren't going their way.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.