Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A closer look at the QB battle

19,710 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NyAggie
4L Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

I'd rather have a guy who can make a play. Hubenak has less playmaking ability then the other two.

That's why you start one of the other two IMHO.
Could not agree more.
Speedystooth
AG
Escobars army said:

Unless Sumlin is delusional and thinks we have a legit shot at SEC championship, we have to go with the QB of the future and let that player go through the normal bumps and bruises associated with the first year in the SEC. I think Mond is that guy, but if Starkel proves himself, start him. Hubs is the very last resort if the other two guys just crap the bed.

So throwing a true freshman into this schedule will build him up your thinking? Has that worked for us before?
Lungblood
Gigem713 said:

All the Hubes haters need to recognize that he carried us through big parts of the last two seasons. He did so with quiet pride and confidence, all the while being humble. Hubes is my man. He should be the starter until we need to make a change.

what was his record?
CoachC16
AG
700 yards, 60% completion rate & 5tds in 3 games of non garbage time downs. We might have been 1-2 in those games but it damn sure wasn't because of QB play. Defense just fell apart down the stretch last year (can blame most of that on injuries).
Radiant
AG
We still have a few months to debate this quarterback conversation. I have no doubt we'll hit every angle a dozen times. Thanks for finding some actual film to go through. I'd love to see Starkel get a shot, we'll see.
TyHolden
AG
Please pull up jff vs showers debate as well. I'm sure that one was great.
Radiant
AG
I might have to go dig through the archives now... sure that discussion will be fun to read now
AgsWin979
AG
No offense Chumbo rumbo, but this was a subpar analysis. I think that some of your comments for each quarterback were wrong or at least the examples used did not correlate with the analysis.

For example: you say that Mond throws across his body, yet he clearly sets his feet and stops motion to throw to the middle of the field.

Chummy, you need some serious work before you step into the zoo next time.
TyHolden
AG
Radiant said:

I might have to go dig through the archives now... sure that discussion will be fun to read now
it was 50-50 if I remember. After jff fight, it might have been 70-30.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Tie goes to the most experienced candidate in my book.
That makes no sense. Tie goes to the one that can improve the most.
Radiant
AG
70-30 against Johnny I would assume?
TyHolden
AG
Radiant said:

70-30 against Johnny I would assume?
si
ashley
I don't think this is enough footage for a decision. I do think at Hebernak's age he is who he is and I doubt we can win with him. It's no secret the other two have much better escape ability. In this league if your a statue you better throw like Manning or Brady.
I might need to look again but I don't think I saw enough clean pockets for going against ourselves.
Bone6
Quote:

I do think at Hebernak's age he is who he is and I doubt we can win with him.

I'm not super pro Hubanek, but thinking a player "is who he is" by 22 is absurd. A big part of the QB position simply comes down to reps.
TyHolden
AG
i honestly think showers is hands down better than johnny. johnny is too short and is way too careless with the ball. give me consistent showers all day. he just throws a better ball. we're gonna have to throw the ball in the league if we're gonna win because we'll never be able to run against bama's defense.
ashley
Bone6 said:

Quote:

I do think at Hebernak's age he is who he is and I doubt we can win with him.

I'm not super pro Hubanek, but thinking a player "is who he is" by 22 is absurd. A big part of the QB position simply comes down to reps.

We will soon see won't we. Obviously your experiences are different from mine with quarterbacks.
Maroon Flash
AG
Quote:

Mind will start week 1 against UCLA.

To have a chance to get to the top of the heap in CFB, you need to make the D play you honest and have to account for the QB making a play with his legs.

I would like to see what Blumrick can do if he can get healthy. He is a physical specimen and has the lowest 40 time in the group.
CoachC16
AG
BurtonAggie said:

No offense Chumbo rumbo, but this was a subpar analysis. I think that some of your comments for each quarterback were wrong or at least the examples used did not correlate with the analysis.

For example: you say that Mond throws across his body, yet he clearly sets his feet and stops motion to throw to the middle of the field.

Appreciate the nick name there big guy lol and genuinely appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism I can get that will make me better as a writer, coach, and film evaluator. Got to be bigger than yourself to realize where improvements can be made. However, you might want to go back and watch the clip before you so boldly claim I'm wrong. He scrambles outside of the pocket, and then ensues to throw to the middle-opposite side of the field, which to me is the equivalent of the cross body throw. Anyways, appreciate the read. Take care.
valvemonkey91
AG
7-5.
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

Mond can beat you with his legs. Starkel can beat you with his arm.

Mond has the most athletic ability of the three, is the best runner, and has the most talent.
If Mond is the guy, I hope the offense doesn't depend on him having to improvise with his feet every down.
Decay
AG
The_chum said:

BurtonAggie said:

Appreciate the nick name there big guy lol and genuinely appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism I can get that will make me better as a writer, coach, and film evaluator. Got to be bigger than yourself to realize where improvements can be made. However, you might want to go back and watch the clip before you so boldly claim I'm wrong. He scrambles outside of the pocket, and then ensues to throw to the middle-opposite side of the field, which to me is the equivalent of the cross body throw. Anyways, appreciate the read. Take care.

I'm just going to take a second to appreciate someone who's willing to write an article, discuss it, take criticism, and keep posting. Thanks for that. Keep writing and posting, I'll read it.

For the record I'd say it's more of a "back across the field" throw. One is criticism of the QB's mechanics, the other is a criticism of the target selection.
CoachC16
AG
Thanks man, really appreciate that
Geriatric Punk
AG
ashley said:

Is suspect the staff has an idea witch one is the best right now. If they don't it's a really bad sign.
They didn't know about JFF until shortly before the season, either. Not sure if it is good or bad.
Nino Brown
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2077755/2
I already have a dog
AG
Showers does have the longer NFL career...
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Unless Sumlin is delusional and thinks we have a legit shot at SEC championship

I sure hope our head football coach believes he can win the SEC every year, not matter what the roster looks like, otherwise he shouldn;t be coaching

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.