Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A closer look at the QB battle

19,671 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NyAggie
CoachC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just put up a new article that dissects some film from the spring game. I might take some heat for the shameless plug but oh well I think y'all will like it lol. Race is too close to call right now but if the season started tomorrow, Hubenaks my guy. Thoughts?

[ We don't permit business promotion on the site -- E-mail the moderator if you have any questions. Gig'em]
MikesFamousJava
AG
You referenced good play calling by Mazzone on the TD by Mond, but they said Mazzone wasn't calling plays in the Spring game. I don't recall who was calling plays for Maroon...
BanderaAg956
LOL, this is going to stir the pot!

Good Luck
zephyr88
AG
Nice to see Mrs. Hubenak here in the Zoo...
CoachC16
AG
zephyr88 said:

Nice to see Mrs. Hubenak here in the Zoo...

Haha damn dude that was quick!!
CoachC16
AG
Didn't catch that, I watched majority of it without sound because I can't stand Andre Ware
rbcs_2
AG
I don't agree with any of your negative Starkel assessments. I guess that makes him my guy.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Starkel looked good in spring game throwing the ball
CoachC16
AG
^100% agree, never wanted it to sound like I was bashing the kid by any means. He showed his potential countless times, but I thought he really struggled with his presence in the pocket along with forcing some throws throughout the game. Mond showed some nice things as well. My point is though, that neither of them proved to be significantly better than Hubenak to this point. Tie goes to the most experienced candidate in my book.
zooguy96
Hubenak has the least upside of any of the 3. His downfield passing is mediocre at best. You know what you were getting with him: quarterback who is not going to be able to beat SEC defenses with his arm or with his legs.

Mond can beat you with his legs. Starkel can beat you with his arm.

Mond has the most athletic ability of the three, is the best runner, and has the most talent.

IMHO, you go with Mond first, Starkel 2nd, and Hubenak is your back up quarterback.
CoachC16
AG
Agree with you in terms of upside, however if you go back and take a look Jake really wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be last season. I don't think the other two have proved they deserve to start over him yet. In a perfect world Mond puts in some major work in the offseason and comes back in the fall to win the job outright
zooguy96
I'd rather have a guy who can make a play. Hubenak has less playmaking ability then the other two.

That's why you start one of the other two IMHO.
rbcs_2
AG
The_chum said:

^100% agree, never wanted it to sound like I was bashing the kid by any means. He showed his potential countless times, but I thought he really struggled with his presence in the pocket along with forcing some throws throughout the game. Mond showed some nice things as well. My point is though, that neither of them proved to be significantly better than Hubenak to this point. Tie goes to the most experienced candidate in my book.
I haven't watched the game, so I can't disagree with your assessments, but the negative Starkel comments just didn't match the clips provided (clips 5-7) in my opinion.
TXM Pride
rbcs_2 said:

I don't agree with any of your negative Starkel assessments. I guess that makes him my guy.

Not so sure I agree either. His first negative assessment said he threw into triple coverage which isn't accurate. At least one of the defenders was covering an underneath WR and pulled off. It was a contested ball, but not triple coverage. His second assessment of forcing a ball.. well it was 4th and 11. He didn't have much of a choice. It was either force a ball in or eat it and take a sack on 4th down. I actually see getting rid of it there as a plus for him.
CoachC16
AG
Definitely don't disagree (like I said I think for us to reach our ceiling we need Mond to be the guy), but I really think he gives us the best chance to win week 1 which is what makes things a lot trickier for KS
zooguy96
That is why I would start one of the other two. Our problem hasn't been winning in September. Our problem has been winning in November.

Starting one of the other two gives them one more game under their belt. I actually don't think Hubenak gives you more than a 10-20% better chance to win at UCLA. I expect to lose that game.

Plus, if you think Mond or Starkel will be better than Hubenak, don't you start them game 1 instead of having the whole QB mismanagement fiasco that Sumlin had for the 2014 and 2015 years?
CoachC16
AG
That's true about the 4th down throw, however I didn't think he really gave his receiver a chance to make a play on the ball. In terms of the triple coverage clip, the defense is playing cover 2 in their nickel package I believe, so the corner is funneling the shallow route over the top so he can hypothetically make a play on a ball that is thrown over his head (that's what we teach our guys at least). Obviously not true triple coverage schematically, but pretty close
CoachC16
AG
The_chum said:

That's true about the 4th down throw, however I didn't think he really gave his receiver a chance to make a play on the ball. In terms of the triple coverage clip, the defense is playing cover 2 in their nickel package I believe, so the corner is funneling the shallow route over the top so he can hypothetically make a play on a ball that is thrown over his head (that's what we teach our guys at least). Obviously not true triple coverage schematically, but pretty close
actually I just rewatched the clip I apologize they are in cover 3, so the player who jumps off of his defender is the down safety who is playing the deep hook and curl zone on that side of the field
Lungblood
Hubenak is a backup SEC qb. Starkel should prob start but Mond HAS to play this year. HAS to!
Lateralus Ag
AG
Sumlin is coaching for his next gig. Who starts this year game 1 really doesn't change any of that.
Ian Neff
AG
Yes. Lat is right.
Summy farewell tour IN EFFECT YALL.
cupofjoe04
AG
Why is it that most people seem to only want to account for physical ability when assessing these QB's? IMO The brains and heart have to play into the equation, as much as the muscles. Which of these guys can not only grasp, but execute the offense the best? Which of these guys will be a leader, and make those around him better? I think those answers are just as important as who has the best arm/legs. The brain and heart are a large part of what made Trevor so successful.
theeyetest
Mind will start week 1 against UCLA. He gives us the best chance to win. He can make plays with his legs and has a live arm.

I'm almost willing to do a poop slap bet. Almost.
gig_em02
I think it will be Jake. If he is the reason we get blown out against UCLA, maybe they switch and Starkel or Mond gets some experience over the next two games but I doubt it. Either way there will be injuries, and I expect all 3 to get significant playing time this year.
Jack Cheese
AG
Hubenak just doesn't seem to put the ball where it needs to be with sharpness and precision. Always slightly low, behind, underthrown, lacking pace, whatever. Receiver almost never gets it in his hands, in stride.

Yes, he completes most of the passes but not as effectively as they should be.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Hubenak does not seem to go through his read progressions; it looks like he focuses on his primary the entire time. Last year he missed wide open receivers because of this and Last year he under threw receivers who had their man beat quite often.

While he seems to be a nice guy, I think we are in big trouble if he is our starter at any time this season,
Al Bula
AG
Aggie click bait

Reno Hightower
We do still play in the SECW? Injuries are likely to factor into the QB position, especially with our OL being retooled. We will probably have to deal with starting quarterbacks this season.
SilverTongueDevil
When Knight went down, Hubenak had a chance to really show what he can do and for the most part he didn't. Very mediocre and not startable
Leander - Ag
RingOfive
AG
I read the OP's article. It's clear that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Quote:

Hubenak is a backup SEC qb. Starkel should prob start but Mond HAS to play this year. HAS to!
I agree with this statement!!
ashley
Is suspect the staff has an idea witch one is the best right now. If they don't it's a really bad sign.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Look at what the first line in this article is:

"For the fifth time in six seasons under head coach Kevin Sumlin, the Texas A&M football team finds themselves in the midst of a quarterback battle heading into fall camp."

Sumlin is only partially to blame for that, but that alone has set us back a ton on getting over the hump. Crazy.
CoachC16
AG
Lol good talk
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.