Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC Expansion in NC Might Become a Reality

13,363 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Radiant
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this bill is as likely to pass as the no jerking off bill in texas
champagnepapi
CrazyDayDuck said:

tandy miller said:

I'd love to see Virginia Tech join. Went and visited a friend there when I was in college. Blacksburg is a cool town, and VT reminds me a lot of TAMU

Va Tech is A LOT like A&M.9

It even used to have a Corps of Cadets too.

Va Tech and UNC would be a great combo for the SEC.

The hell with the land thieves though.

It still has a Corps of Cadets. Two new 2LT VT grads arrived at my BN a couple months ago
TXAggie2011
AG
agnerd said:

I see it more of the big dog finally getting tired of the annoying yappy dog. I think the ACC has been treating the NC universities as a insubordinate and inferior because of something outside the universities' control, when in reality they can't afford to lose them. Seems like the state looked around, saw they were sitting on the high ground with superior weaponry, defenses, and soldiers and decided they will no longer be harmed by a conference that doesn't have the best interest of its member-schools in mind.

I understand your viewpoint, but it's quite ironic, isn't it, considering the NC legislature got pounded and had to repeal the law that started this with their tail embarrassingly tucked?

This is the legislature that just introduced a bill banning gay marriage (it has been shut down already) and yesterday, we had Lincoln called the "same kind of tyrant as Hitler."

The point isn't to take sides, but point out there is a lot of political showing off with the goal to make the newspaper and excite the voter base a little bit and not the sincere goal of actually getting some of these things passed.

Again, until this bill goes somewhere, no reason to get excited and treat this as anything but political theatrics.
Loyalty
AG
Meximan said:

This smacks more of political foot stamping and lip pouting than any real, rational legislation. The bill is nothing more than a very public "I'm telling Daddy!" reaction to their precious bigoted law being repealed than anything. If you can't win your battles, cry about it, I guess is the new-age tactic.
"bigoted"?? whatever...
TXAggie2011
AG
SJW
Liberal
Fascist
Sheep

How many more buzzwords can we get in to criticize Meximan's use of the buzzword 'bigoted'?
Max Power
AG
ACC isn't breaking up anytime soon. After Maryland left they made sure to protect the conference contractually. The only Big 5 conference that could, and probably will, break up is the big 12. Then there are 4 regional superconferences: SEC, ACC, BIG, PAC. Not sure where everyone would end up but A&M and Arkansas would surely veto texas, and SEC would have no interest in baylor, tcu, or tech. Only schools they would consider at that point would be OU and maybe KU, though I don't know what kind of state political issues there would be with leaving out OkSU and KSU. Don't see SEC adding WVU or ISU either.
Aftermath
AG
OU will eventually be in SEC....to much talk of it already, and it will be a big fight to keep texas out....they bring lots of money and for some reason prestige.If we don't pick it up performance-wise, and start showing some muscle we will be out voted. We have not embraced the "I'm for everyone in the SEC attitude" that others have, so we are not that likable member.
ZEEB
AG
Aftermath said:

OU will eventually be in SEC....to much talk of it already, and it will be a big fight to keep texas out....they bring lots of money and for some reason prestige.If we don't pick it up performance-wise, and start showing some muscle we will be out voted. We have not embraced the "I'm for everyone in the SEC attitude" that others have, so we are not that likable member.
uhhh not sure if I want to take the bait. surely nobody is this dumb
MSU/SECALUM
Attorney wants Greg Sankey off NCAA hearing regarding UNC

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/attorney-wants-greg-sankey-off-ncaa-hearing-regarding-unc/
rbcs_2
AG
Aftermath said:

This is so wrong it's not even worth the Trump "WRONG!" meme.
PhatMack19
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Dumb.

If we're blaming the NCAA for regular season game locations then the idiocy of that meme outdoes itself because UNC, Duke, NC State, and a whole bunch of schools played 1000s of games in...North Carolina.

Regular season /=/ NCAA postseason
RedlineAg08
Good for NC! Sorry if it hurts some sick ****s feelings..
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

There's so much wrong in this post I don't know where to begin. The SEC adds footprint when TV sets are added to the SEC Network. Blowu and the sips aren't going to increase market share significantly and if we don't want them in - they won't get in.
AnalogyAg
Quote:

Fourteen has proven to be larger than optimal in some respects; 16 would be downright unwieldy.

disagree. i believe 16 presents alot more solutions than 14. thats not the reason to go there, but if sec believes adding two is good, the added number will NOT be a big problem as far as managing schedules/tournaments etc.
FlyingAg
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

I would say the SEC should add UNC but not NC State and add OU instead. UNC to the East and OU to the West so the SEC map will look complete.

Would make both FB and BB even more interesting (as if its not challenging enough).
[i][b]Time to bring back the Wrecking Crew![/i][/b]
CrazyDayDuck
champagnepapi said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

tandy miller said:

I'd love to see Virginia Tech join. Went and visited a friend there when I was in college. Blacksburg is a cool town, and VT reminds me a lot of TAMU

Va Tech is A LOT like A&M.9

It even used to have a Corps of Cadets too.

Va Tech and UNC would be a great combo for the SEC.

The hell with the land thieves though.

It still has a Corps of Cadets. Two new 2LT VT grads arrived at my BN a couple months ago
VanZandt92
Good Aggie Hunting said:

I would say the SEC should add UNC but not NC State and add OU instead. UNC to the East and OU to the West so the SEC map will look complete.

Ou has the potential of crushing us in North Texas recruiting so no.
Bonfire1996
AG
Realignment priorities for the SEC

1. Adding Zero Schools - Currently, with the "out of network" States paying a rate of $.40 per month per subscriber, and with "in network" States paying a rate of $1.40 per month per subscriber, there isn't a significant enough delta in that amount to make adding schools a financially beneficial decision to the current 14 member conference. Yes, even adding the population centers in Virginia and North Carolina make it an actual financial loser versus staying put. Sure our overall revenues would likely increase, and per school distributions would continue their upward trajectory, but not as much as if we stay at 14.

2. If we are forced to add schools through a dissolution of the ACC - which isn't going to happen with the advent of the ACC Network that will be similarly situated as the SEC network - UVA is the prize with its proximity to Washington DC and the other Virginia markets it can deliver. Listen, school sport history has nothing to do with it. Being in the SEC raises your prestige. Being the only SEC school in your State gives you instant credibility. As Loftin correctly called it a "100 year decision" these decisions are not based on your existing sporting prowess. It is about what you could be if given the resources. The State of Virginia has outstanding demographics for athletes, and UVA is a premier academic institution with a rich heritage. It is ripe for athletic prowess and just needs an athletic budget that matches its rich academic history.

3. If ACC dissolves the hierarchy goes, UVA, UNC, Va. Tech, NC State. Beyond that, I don't think SEC expands.

4. If Big 12 dissolves, Kansas is our first target. Not OU. OU will not be added to the SEC unless a new governing body of a 64 team new NCAA forces the SEC to take OU in some sort of geographic need, which I still don't see happening. OU is a financial and marketing albatross. In the new media marketplace, OU does not have the financial clout long term to compete with the schools that are close to population centers. They just don't. Take a look at how their facility expansion has gone, how anemic their tv ratings are, even during the Stoops era which has been some of the most successful football records in America, and they can't buy ratings. They are not a decision maker in the future of college athletics. They will be followers and go where they are told to keep their membership.
Yell Practice
VanZandt92
I live in NC. Ain't much of anybody really talking about this.
SchizoAg
AG
14 members is already too many. 12 is the ideal conference size in the current college football environment.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
The SEC has had digestion issues with 14 teams. This is evident with number of games we play, and our rotation through inter-division play. Our league is not willing to play 9 league games because of the OOC tie-ins with 4 SEC-E schools. UGA and USC both like to play an additional P5 OOC school in addition to their in-state OOC rival. They can forget that if the league went to 9 games.

The SEC was willing to take us, and then Missouri. But I seriously doubt the SEC expands again for a long time, unless it is forced to.
Al Bula
AG
I really don't get how anyone who is an Aggie fan would advocate OU joining the SEC. sheer idiocy.
longeryak
Has anyone told the NCGA that those schools signed a GOR with the ACC that lasts until around 2036, to land Notre Dame, and it would cost about a billion to leave?
aggiehawg
AG
longeryak said:

Has anyone told the NCGA that those schools signed a GOR with the ACC that lasts until around 2036, to land Notre Dame, and it would cost about a billion to leave?
You are assuming the GOR is enforced in a North Carolina court against North Carolina state schools in the face of a law withdrawing authorization for the transfer of those rights under certain conditions.

This isn't as cut and dried as it may appear.
Radiant
AG
Similar discussion on the premium board this week: https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2847917

Driven by this article: http://gigemgazette.com/2017/04/14/sec-expansion/

VT and North Carolina were the suggested expansion teams.
greg.w.h
AG
The gg article is precisely click bait. Lots of separate pages and the presumed chances aren't based on any realistic argumentation.

Expansion would need to be a cultural fit and provide at least an argument for either a solid population center or a national audience or best yet both.

Clay Travis argued for one school from Va and one from NC and it seemed to me he felt VaTech and NCState were both attainable while UNC, Duke, and UVA were long shots.

The key is whether specifically UNC and NCState are kicked out by the ACC (ignore Duke because it is private and can through its private status accommodate perception-wise the intent of the NCAA without being considered an organ of the state government.) If freed of the ACC GoR then anything is possible and the upgrade in basketball and academics (ignoring their NCAA issues) is a positive. The population in NC is solid and somewhat still growing (though Northern Virginia is still experiencing spectacular grown especially in income.)

The GoR has public perception teeth as proven by the situation with Marryland. The B1G had to buy its way into both Maryland/DC and New York markets. If the SEC chooses to do the same for strategic reasons you have to hope the strategy is very carefully planned and just as carefully executed. Expect for GoR litigation to be the indemnification the Conference offers but not compensation for lost media rights. And expect the media providers to work out the terms so as not to have a bruising public fight.

The ACC dislodging UNC and NCState seems the most workable way to get a potential national program (in basketball.) I, for one, am not holding my breath in anticipation. The media companies are nearing free fall due to cord cutting. Most conferences and schools have been apprised of the situation which is largely why the Big 12 stood pat (to the embarrassment of Houston.) Supposedly the conference was carefully warned of the consequences of adding program that didn't bring additional eyeballs into the Tier 1/Tier 2 media footprints.
BattleCattle
Battle Cattle says NC politicians are doubling down in stupidity.
NE PA Ag
Bonfire 1996 said:

4. If Big 12 dissolves, Kansas is our first target. Not OU. OU will not be added to the SEC unless a new governing body of a 64 team new NCAA forces the SEC to take OU in some sort of geographic need, which I still don't see happening. OU is a financial and marketing albatross. In the new media marketplace, OU does not have the financial clout long term to compete with the schools that are close to population centers. They just don't. Take a look at how their facility expansion has gone, how anemic their tv ratings are, even during the Stoops era which has been some of the most successful football records in America, and they can't buy ratings. They are not a decision maker in the future of college athletics. They will be followers and go where they are told to keep their membership.
If more TV sets is the goal, then why would Kansas be the target over OU? Oklahoma has a million more people than Kansas and is growing faster. If you are looking at the Kansas City market, it only has maybe 650k more people than the OKC metro area, and is not growing as fast. Also, most of it is in Missouri, a state the SEC is already in.
Bonfire1996
AG
NY Ag said:

Bonfire 1996 said:

If more TV sets is the goal, then why would Kansas be the target over OU? Oklahoma has a million more people than Kansas and is growing faster. If you are looking at the Kansas City market, it only has maybe 650k more people than the OKC metro area, and is not growing as fast. Also, most of it is in Missouri, a state the SEC is already in.
Cable TV Households. Kansas has more than Oklahoma. Plus the SEC is looking for basketball ratings.

Again, the only way the SEC is adding teams is if they are required to go to 16 by some future governing body.
Radiant
AG
If you want tv households you definitely go east instead of into the midwest. Lots of cows their, less people.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.