Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC Expansion in NC Might Become a Reality

13,369 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Radiant
GoodOldAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New North Carolina bill would require UNC, NC State to exit ACC if state is boycotted again
THEamc
AG
It's happening....
Wabs
AG
Eventually there will be 4 power conferences with 16 teams. I'd take UNC and NC State to round our conference out.
GoodOldAgs
Wabs said:

Eventually there will be 4 power conferences with 16 teams. I'd take UNC and NC State to round our conference out.
I don't think the SEC would take both, just one. It's all about adding new tv markets, and expanding the footprint- so you just take UNC ideally. That would give you Charlotte and the research triangle markets. Their basketball program also has a HUGE national following, and they would bolster the academic reputation of the conference as well. Ideally the SEC would pair them with VT (which would add DC/Richmond/Hampton road metros)
Olsen
AG
I would say the SEC should add UNC but not NC State and add OU instead. UNC to the East and OU to the West so the SEC map will look complete.
twk
AG
Wabs said:

This silly notion, again? If it happens, it will be by accident, not design.

As to the North Carolina schools leaving the ACC, I'll believe it when I see it. If you were to put a gun to the heads of the SEC presidents and tell them that they have to take 2 more schools, UNC would probably be at the top of the list, and NC State wouldn't be a bad option, either, but taking both wouldn't be optimal--better one school from North Carolina and another from Virginia.

But, again, that was if the SEC had to expand, and there does not appear to be anything on the horizon that will trigger an SEC expansion. Fourteen has proven to be larger than optimal in some respects; 16 would be downright unwieldy. If these schools somehow get involuntarily pushed out on to the market, expansion would be discussed, but don't look for the SEC to do anything to seek to bring that about.
Wabs
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

I would say the SEC should add UNC but not NC State and add OU instead. UNC to the East and OU to the West so the SEC map will look complete.
Wouldn't be opposed to this either.
Ag4coal
F ou and all other big 12 schools. Adding a state that borders us hurts the biggest recruiting advantage of the sec. nc state is the best natural fit for the sec, but not much name brand. UNC would be the most logical fit.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Their basketball program also has a HUGE national following, and they would bolster the academic reputation of the conference as well.
Not sure I'd mention UNC basketball and academic reputation in the sentence, especially calling it a good thing
rbcs_2
AG
Wabs said:

Eventually there will be 4 power conferences with 16 teams.
I doubt this ever happens.
GoodOldAgs
Good Aggie Hunting said:

I would be opposed to OU. That would really hurt our recruiting IMO. Also OKC/Tulsa markets wouldn't add as many tv sets as DC/Hampton roads/Richmond would. UNC and VT is the ideal expansion IMO.
hunter2012
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Don't forget what the land thief b*tches did to us in the BDF, they took every opportunity to keep us down per the tsips wishes. Remember the $20 million incident, a pure publicity stunt to make us look bad. They are the biggest gimp in the 40 acres basement. Leave them to the hell they made.

No more schools from this side of the Mississippi. If we expand, expand east.
GoodOldAgs
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Their basketball program also has a HUGE national following, and they would bolster the academic reputation of the conference as well.
Not sure I'd mention UNC basketball and academic reputation in the sentence, especially calling it a good thing
Lol, I was referring to 2 separate entities; first 'they' (UNC basketball program) and second 'they' (the University itself)
Goose06
AG
Not happening, but the SEC dream scenario is UVA/UNC. They'd probably take UNC/NCState if that was on the table.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I think the SEC dream scenario is UNC or NCST, and then VT. I think UVA would be a very poor cultural fit in the SEC.

With that being said, the ACC isn't going to lose UNC. They will cave and keep them happy. The ACC IS the state of North Carolina.
FabricatorAg
Wabs said:

I'd much rather be flying to the Carolina's in the fall, than trekking into the hills have eyes territories of Oklahoma. Frantic fan bases, good baseball teams, bring it on..shaft NC State and get Clemson..
FabricatorAg
MichaelJ90 said:

Wabs said:

I'd much rather be flying to the Carolina's in the fall, than trekking into the hills have eyes territories of Oklahoma. Frantic fan bases, good baseball teams, bring it on..shaft NC State and get Clemson..

I know Clemson is in SC..
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
tandy miller
AG
I'd love to see Virginia Tech join. Went and visited a friend there when I was in college. Blacksburg is a cool town, and VT reminds me a lot of TAMU
Meximan
This smacks more of political foot stamping and lip pouting than any real, rational legislation. The bill is nothing more than a very public "I'm telling Daddy!" reaction to their precious bigoted law being repealed than anything. If you can't win your battles, cry about it, I guess is the new-age tactic.
ZAC-AG
AG
We are getting the Confederacy back together through football...it was the plan the entire time...
Falsedawn
AG
I personally think the ideal would be UNC and UVA. North Carolina for their basketball, and Virginia for their academics. Football wise, Virginia Tech might be better, but 16 seems like it's a hard cap and you have to square off academics to stack up to the Big 10 and the CIC.
halfastros81
AG
VT>>>UVa
TXAggie2011
AG
Eh. The North Carolina legislature has been throwing a temper tantrum the past few days and a bunch of stuff has been proposed that won't go anywhere and is just for making the 6 o'clock news back in home districts.

It'll be worth paying attention to if the bill starts moving substantially forward in the process.
agnerd
AG
Meximan said:

This smacks more of political foot stamping and lip pouting than any real, rational legislation. The bill is nothing more than a very public "I'm telling Daddy!" reaction to their precious bigoted law being repealed than anything. If you can't win your battles, cry about it, I guess is the new-age tactic.
I see it more of the big dog finally getting tired of the annoying yappy dog. I think the ACC has been treating the NC universities as a insubordinate and inferior because of something outside the universities' control, when in reality they can't afford to lose them. Seems like the state looked around, saw they were sitting on the high ground with superior weaponry, defenses, and soldiers and decided they will no longer be harmed by a conference that doesn't have the best interest of its member-schools in mind.
CrazyDayDuck
tandy miller said:

I'd love to see Virginia Tech join. Went and visited a friend there when I was in college. Blacksburg is a cool town, and VT reminds me a lot of TAMU

Va Tech is A LOT like A&M.

It even used to have a Corps of Cadets too.

Va Tech and UNC would be a great combo for the SEC.

The hell with the land thieves though.
TMartin
North Carolina has growth, TV sets and money. These are how the decision are made.
twk
AG
Meximan said:

Typical SJW crap. You throw that term around without knowing what it means, Your only intent is to use it as a weapon to shout down those who disagree with you. I've got news for you: the person exhibiting intolerance is you.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Not this **** again. And you *******s couldn't help yourselves. You just had to make it political.
schmellba99
AG
Meximan said:

What exaxtly is this "bigoted" law that is causing such an uproar?
W
AG
for the folks talking about the great academic reputation of North Carolina...I assume you're excluding the athletic department --- yes?

it's an absolute disgrace what's gone on for so many years at UNC in that regard
Sparkie
AG
The Chicken Ranch
AG
All anyone needs to know is that the North Carolina schools aren't leaving the ACC any time soon. And that the SEC has zero appetite for further expansion at this time.
ViralAg
Meximan said:

It's not bigoted, but congratulations on outing yourself as a fascist liberal sheep.

Baaaa. Baaaaaaa. Baaaaaa.
Spyderman
AG
add OU instead
Maroon Flash
AG
This is what happens when a conference starts letting politics get mixed in with sports. If NC & NC State left the ACC, I expect both Va Tech and UVA would become available also, as there would be no ACC network.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.