Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Where to stay for ucla game?

4,986 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 67walkon
stingaree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last game I went to, last year, yes they had alcohol. There's a big tailgate scene in the parking area which is actually a golf course called Brookside - park everywhere but the greens. It's actually pretty fun, crowded, etc. though obviously not at SEC tailgate levels. I'm guessing some Aggies will have a tailgate somewhere and there are identifying high flying banners so you'll know how to find them. It will be very friendly. The stadium is twenty plus miles from campus so no rowdy students, mostly grads.

I'd advise getting over to the stadium early just because, well, I always would rather be there early. Walk around, soak up the pretty terrific California weather and maybe find a tailgate. It's a friendly scene (laid back LA vibe) so even if you don't find Ags I'm sure some Bruins will share.

Inside the stadium, which is great and historic and needs to be experienced at least once (the pink sunset on the surrounding mountains is grand), there are club levels that have multiple TVs, food, drinks, etc. Depending on your ticket you may have access to those. One note, the general seats are not chair back, just benches and the designated numbered spot will fit someone who is 5'5, 125 pounds. Therefore people stand throughout most of the game, which is old hat for you guys.

I hope you enjoy your time our west and good luck with the game. Feel free to ask any other questions.

And yes, whoever said that the houses surrounding the Rose Bowl are in the ghetto, well, that's a ghetto I'd run to as they are some of the most expensive in Pasadena, averaging two mil and going up to ten mil. A few miles away, yes, not great, but houses surrounding the Rose Bowl are prime real estate. Go a few miles from River Oaks in Houston and you get the same deal.
Quito
AG
stingaree said:

Last game I went to, last year, yes they had alcohol. There's a big tailgate scene in the parking area which is actually a golf course called Brookside - park everywhere but the greens. It's actually pretty fun, crowded, etc. though obviously not at SEC tailgate levels. I'm guessing some Aggies will have a tailgate somewhere and there are identifying high flying banners so you'll know how to find them. It will be very friendly. The stadium is twenty plus miles from campus so no rowdy students, mostly grads.

I'd advise getting over to the stadium early just because, well, I always would rather be there early. Walk around, soak up the pretty terrific California weather and maybe find a tailgate. It's a friendly scene (laid back LA vibe) so even if you don't find Ags I'm sure some Bruins will share.

Inside the stadium, which is great and historic and needs to be experienced at least once (the pink sunset on the surrounding mountains is grand), there are club levels that have multiple TVs, food, drinks, etc. Depending on your ticket you may have access to those. One note, the general seats are not chair back, just benches and the designated numbered spot will fit someone who is 5'5, 125 pounds. Therefore people stand throughout most of the game, which is old hat for you guys.

I hope you enjoy your time our west and good luck with the game. Feel free to ask any other questions.

And yes, whoever said that the houses surrounding the Rose Bowl are in the ghetto, well, that's a ghetto I'd run to as they are some of the most expensive in Pasadena, averaging two mil and going up to ten mil. A few miles away, yes, not great, but houses surrounding the Rose Bowl are prime real estate. Go a few miles from River Oaks in Houston and you get the same deal.

Great info!

Was alcohol limited to certain "club" sections?
twk
AG
I went out to LA for the first time last February for the Pepperdine baseball series, and my observation from driving the PCH on Saturday afternoon of that weekend (a run-of-the mill Saturday, not a holiday, mind you), is that if traffic is that bad for a Saturday in February, I can't imagine the gridlock on Saturday (and probably Sunday) of Labor Day weekend. Consequently, we're going out Thursday, but will do beach stuff (maybe even something on a boat) on Friday, then do stuff inland (we're staying in the Hollywood Hills) Saturday and Sunday morning. I can see the attraction of staying on the beach, but you better plan for the traffic on gameday if you do.
Agnzona
randy828 said:

Compton or The Watts should have nice accommodations.

Wear MAGA hats and All Lives Matter t-shirts...
stingaree
Pretty sure there was alcohol available for sale in all parts of the stadium. The bonus of the club floors is that you get to watch your game while other games are on TVs around you. I agree with the person who posted about traffic. It's a snarl. If you're coming out a few days early I can certainly see spending some time at the beach or in West Hollywood, just for something different. Some people do that and then come to Pasadena the night before the game, chill in Old Town and have an easy time getting to the game and then back to their hotel. But truthfully once you get out of the Rose Bowl and on the freeway it won't be horrible getting back to your hotel on the west side. An hour to West Hollywood or an hour and a half to Santa Monica.

In Pasadena:
Great Belgian beer as well as others - Lucky Baldwins in Old Town and Congregation Ale House
Wine bar: Vertical. Owned by Gail Ann Hurd who produced Titanic.
Good sports bars in Old Town - Roccos, Barney's Beanery and The Yardhouse
Best restaurants in Old Town - Arroyo Chop House, Flemings, Union and La Grande Orange
Culture: Laemmle theatre. We are lucky to have one here that shows hard to find domestic and foreign films. Also the Huntington Library and the Norton Simon Museum - absolutely world class. Cal Tech, if you are a Big Bang Theory fan or JPL if you are interested in space exploration (this is where all the science happens).

I was in Lucky Baldwins the night the Mars rover was successful and the entire team responsible was there drinking and celebrating. It was, for me, a rock star moment.

Again, have fun out west, Ags.
C3 Gert Cattle
Dewdrop Inn on Crenshaw Blvd, offers hourly and weekend rates.
Ag pride
AG
Home
Ag1985
Courtyard by Marriott in Old Pasadena. It's pricey, but the location is excellent.
07&09Ag
Booked the courtyard for Sunday night since game probably won't end until midnight. Still haven't planned the rest of the weekend yet.
KidDoc
AG
Booked the Hollywood Roosevelt Friday-Monday, flying Jet Blue into Long Beach early Friday morning. I think we are going to hit up Six Flags MM Saturday because it is just my wife & I and we love roller coasters and have never been there.

Our seats seem pretty awesome- Section 5 Row 1 so 30-40 yard line or so.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
twk
AG
07&09Ag said:

Booked the courtyard for Sunday night since game probably won't end until midnight. Still haven't planned the rest of the weekend yet.
The game kicks off at 4:30 p.m. Pacific time. It will end long before midnight.
agnatgas
AG
Staying with Mrs. Robinson
W
AG
what about Victorville or Barstow?
Engine10
AG
I always stay in Redondo / Hermosa beach area. Drive will be longer but not as crowded as Santa Monica will be. Beaches are great, good restaurants too.
67walkon
Hotel Angeleno. Trust me
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.