Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Important FOOTBALL (Dixie Chicken) question

6,086 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by crunchyo
DecadePlan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a pic of, or know the rules for 42 that used to be posted on The Chicken?

Pic is preferable but a long shot. If the zoo can't provide it can't be found.
Al Bula
AG
Axe Vints
DecadePlan
AG
Already did. Quit reading when he told me he never bid above 10 because "fingurz"
Azariah
AG
I'm guessing the rules at the Chicken differ slightly from the normal rules of 42?
tamc93
AG
Never knew they had "posted rules"... hard enough to remember the marked bones.
schmellba99
AG
Chicken rules always meant the following:

Forced Nello
No Sevens
Splash on 2 marks
Plunge on 3 marks

Seems like there was another, but it has been a long, long time since I played at the Bird.
Meximan
Rule 1: Count to 42.
Rule 2: Have another drink.
Rule 3: See Rule 1.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Did you check wit Cote also too tambien???
DecadePlan
AG
Yes! I remember that now. TY
Canyon99
Sevens is for Okie *****es.
Flexbone
What's "42"?
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Flexbone said:

What's "42"?

Domino game
schmellba99
AG
Flexbone said:

What's "42"?
42, also known as "Bones" is a game of skill, deception and sometimes luck. 4 players are required, 2 per team. Teammates sit opposite one another at a table.

This game requires a few things - actual communication with people, the ability to read your opponent, read your partner and being able to bet not only on what you have in your hand, but what you think your partner has in theirs and what your opponent has in theirs. One must abandon their cell phone to play this game. The game is better played in dark rooms with sketchy lighting and cold beer readily available. It's also a great way, or was back before the likes of tinder and metrosexual hookups, to meet chicks.

Back before smart phones, the Chicken was a prime gathering spot for the game to be played. Laughing, cussing, crap talking, wooing of the fairer sex and clanging of beer bottles and dominoes as your shook them between tricks was a normal set of sounds on just about any given night. If you played your cards right, you could clang your balls against poon later than night as well.

The new generation will likely never know what it was like to have a hell of a good night with good friends and conversation. You live a sad and pitiful life as a result, and I pity the way you go through this world. May God have mercy on your souls.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
schmellba99 said:

Flexbone said:

What's "42"?
42, also known as "Bones" is a game of skill, deception and sometimes luck. 4 players are required, 2 per team. Teammates sit opposite one another at a table.

This game requires a few things - actual communication with people, the ability to read your opponent, read your partner and being able to bet not only on what you have in your hand, but what you think your partner has in theirs and what your opponent has in theirs. One must abandon their cell phone to play this game. The game is better played in dark rooms with sketchy lighting and cold beer readily available. It's also a great way, or was back before the likes of tinder and metrosexual hookups, to meet chicks.

Back before smart phones, the Chicken was a prime gathering spot for the game to be played. Laughing, cussing, crap talking, wooing of the fairer sex and clanging of beer bottles and dominoes as your shook them between tricks was a normal set of sounds on just about any given night. If you played your cards right, you could clang your balls against poon later than night as well.

The new generation will likely never know what it was like to have a hell of a good night with good friends and conversation. You live a sad and pitiful life as a result, and I pity the way you go through this world. May God have mercy on your souls.
agfan2013
AG
Canyon99 said:

Sevens is for Okie *****es.
Agreed.

And thumbs down for splash and plunge. Just play straight 42, maybe allow nello on a forced bid but thats it...
bero88
7's is bs. There is no skill involved. It is literally the luck of the draw.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
What is sevens?
bero88
SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
Basically you play a domino that adds up to 7. When all the 7's are up then you play the next closest domino. Like I said. No strategy. Just pure luck of the draw.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
bero88 said:

SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
Basically you play a domino that adds up to 7. When all the 7's are up then you play the next closest domino. Like I said. No strategy. Just pure luck of the draw.

Interesting. Is a 6:1 better than a 5:2 and so on? I'm just trying to figure out how trumps work. Besides, there's only 3 dominoes so that seems like a weak trump set.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
It's a good way to get cut at my house.
bero88
SECond2noneAgs said:

bero88 said:

SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?

Interesting. Is a 6:1 better than a 5:2 and so on? I'm just trying to figure out how trumps work. Besides, there's only 3 dominoes so that seems like a weak trump set.
Whoever plays the first 7 wins. There are no trumps. So after the last 7 is played and I throw out a 4-2 and you throw out a 5-3 I win the hand bc I played first.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

bero88 said:

SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?

No, 6-1, 5-2 and 4-3 are the only ones that add up to 7. As long as the person who bid or their partner can play a domino that equals 7 or is no farther away from 7 than the other team they win the trick. If I recall correctly you have to catch them all if you bid this way. It is pretty crappy IMHO.
Prescient
SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
Have you never played 42? Just kidding. Hard core 42 guy here.

Sevens is when any domino adding up to seven is the dominant domino. It's an all or nothing bid. 1 or 2 marks. You or your partner have to take all tricks. So, the 4/3, 5/2, and 6/1 are the big three. Once the 4/3, 5/2, 6/1 are off the table, the domino which totals 8 or 6 and after they're off the table, 5 and 9 (and so on) wins the hand. Ties go to he who led. For example, you lead the 5/2, and the next two players play the 4/3 and the 6/1, you win the hand.

Once you've played a couple of hands you'll get the hang of it. It's one of my favorite bids. I use an android phone, and there's a free 42 app which you can use to get better at the game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.droid42app&hl=en

Can't address whether Apple offers one.

Prescient
bero88 said:

SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
Which bid ISN'T "just pure luck of the draw"?
bero88
Prescient said:

bero88 said:

SECond2noneAgs said:

What is sevens?
Which bid ISN'T "just pure luck of the draw"?
What? You can bid 32 and have jack**** and still get the points. There are several times when you have to pull it out of your ass bc you were delt a crappy hand.
agfan2013
AG
Quote:

What? You can bid 32 and have jack**** and still get the points. There are several times when you have to pull it out of your ass bc you were delt a crappy hand.

Exactly, you have a chance to making something out of a crappy hand in regular 42. There should never be any ties in 42, one of the dominos played should always be the winner. Not this, tie goes to the first person who played BS.

For those of you who want to play but can't always get people togeather for one, a guy here on texags developed an app for both iphone and android over in the nerdery. It's not 100% perfect but it beats a lot of other apps I've tried.

Texas 42 by MaroonEntertainment
https://appsto.re/us/lQMaG.i
gigemags-99
AG
agfan2013 said:

Quote:

Exactly, you have a chance to making something out of a crappy hand in regular 42. There should never be any ties in 42, one of the dominos played should always be the winner. Not this, tie goes to the first person who played BS.

For those of you who want to play but can't always get people togeather for one, a guy here on texags developed an app for both iphone and android over in the nerdery. It's not 100% perfect but it beats a lot of other apps I've tried.

Texas 42 by MaroonEntertainment
https://appsto.re/us/lQMaG.i

CRAP!!! Welp...there goes the rest of my afternoon.
Flexbone
schmellba99 said:

Flexbone said:

What's "42"?

I was just kidding.
tamc93
AG
schmellba99 said:

Flexbone said:

What's "42"?

This was also back in the day when Pearl and Lone Star where under $1 and you could buy your own pitcher for under $4. Sat many a day/night at the slate table by the saloon doors...
Moe 92
AG
The creatively titled "42" by Droid 42 is solid, too, if you're looking for an app. Good AI and interface.

But, man, I sure miss playing at The Chicken or a crap apartment while getting hammered on cheap beer with my boys.

I may be in the minority, but I can go either way on force 7s. No much worse than nello in my opinion as far an option for a chance at winning if you're stuck. My opinion on it changes radically, however, depending on whether I last made a forced bid with 7s or my opponent did.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Flexbone said:

What's "42"?

Your mom's age when I ****ed her.
crunchyo
schmellba99 said:

Flexbone said:

What's "42"?

This is the best response I have ever read to a question on here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.