Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Pat Henry

12,079 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mullokmotx
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First men's Indoor T&F NC to go with the three double NCs in both men's and women's outdoor T&F and one each solo NCs in men's and women's outdoor T&F. That's nine in two sports since 2005 with Texas A&M.

AFR because stellar T&F should result in overall superior athleticism in the athletics programs.
texancanuck11
I seem to remember hearing that he told sumlin about Josh Reynolds. Am I remembering that right? Or was it a high school track coach?
Hu11abaloo
AG
texancanuck11 said:

I seem to remember hearing that he told sumlin about Josh Reynolds. Am I remembering that right? Or was it a high school track coach?
You are correct:

"The guy who tipped us off to Josh was Pat Henry," Sumlin said of the celebrated A&M track coach. "He was a guy Pat was talking about the whole time (Reynolds) was in high school."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Healthy-Josh-Reynolds-eager-to-take-next-step-for-6449272.php
Bunk Moreland
Give that man his money.... Err... His outdoor stadium
OrygunAg
AG
The guy just gets results. Against orygun and other powerhouses no less.
oldvalleyrat
AG
He wins. Give the man more money!
Rock1982
AG
Best coach at Texas A&M in the past 30 years.
wreckncrew
AG
Just goes to show, when you hire the right coach, they will succeed.
Maroon Flash
AG
Any updates on the new track facility?
Hu11abaloo
AG
Rock1982 said:

based purely on his accomplishments and results, how can you not say he's in the conversation for the best coach at Texas A&M, for any sport, ever?
Meximan
SeaAg96 said:

The guy just gets results. Against orygun and other powerhouses no less.
Sooo... why the sad face?
TMartin
Pat Henry was a proven winner before he got to Texas A&M. I wonder if this may make some impression on the AD, BMAsI and other "experts" in A&M athletics leadership roles?
p-wonk01
AG
Only men's coach that both recruits well and can coach well. Football, Basketball, baseball can recruit...but nothing to show for it
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Man, listening to him on TexAgs radio it sounds as if he is about to leave if they don't get the T&F facility started soon.

Sounds like our AD is just wanting to spend money on .500 basketball teams that under perform instead of on a quality coach and team.
Spotted Ag
AG
He is the Nick Saban of track and field.
redd38
AG
Hu11abaloo said:

Rock1982 said:

based purely on his accomplishments and results, how can you not say he's in the conversation for the best coach at Texas A&M, for any sport, ever?
Not just at A&M, he's in the conversation for best college coach ever. He has 36 National Championships! That's second most in D1 behind John McDonnell with 40. So winning 4+ more before he's done here doesn't seem unreasonable.
The Collective
AG
You can buy championships in non-revenue sports. This is the legacy of Bill Bryne.
redd38
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Man, listening to him on TexAgs radio it sounds as if he is about to leave if they don't get the T&F facility started soon.

Sounds like our AD is just wanting to spend money on .500 basketball teams that under perform instead of on a quality coach and team.
He will definitely leave if the outdoor track isn't done soon! The athletic department has been stringing him along with it for years and he's pretty pissed that it's taken this long.
Meximan
The impression I got was that it's designed and ready to go but the money and final approval isn't there. Any of you millionaires want to front the $50 mil to pay for it in full?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
and now getting to listen to our so-called basketball coach talk about former players playing at tcu, alabama, UNT. What a beating...
Meximan
Besides, the real trouble, I think, is that most Aggies really don't pay attention to track. It's like basketball or baseball/softball: even when the teams do well and are playing for and even winning titles, the house is still not sold out. It's a hard sell at a football school.

If $Bill were here though, it would probably have been done by 2014.
Aston04
AG
Meximan said:

The impression I got was that it's designed and ready to go but the money and final approval isn't there. Any of you millionaires want to front the $50 mil to pay for it in full?

With the boatload of sec money we bring in, there's no excuse not to start today on the stadium.
redd38
AG
It's amazing that a university of our caliber doesn't have a functional outdoor track already, regardless of the quality of our track team.
dcbowers
AG
Why does TexAgs not have a "Track & Field Board"?

Besides Pat Henry, we have Randy Matson, Rick Barnes, et al.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Collective
AG
Aston04 said:

With the boatload of sec money we bring in, there's no excuse not to start today on the stadium.

I hope we are preparing for a rainy day, because I think it will happen sooner than later in college sports.
PhatMack19
AG
He doesn't seem real happy with having the worst facility in the SEC. Hopefully they can get it done.

reddirtgigem
BMA's should be raising 9 kinds of hell about how he is being treated in regards to the outdoor facility. Ridiculous
WestAustinAg
AG
This is headed for disaster. We are going to lose Pat Henry pretty soon. Get it built now AD!
redd38
AG
reddirtgigem said:

BMA's should be raising 9 kinds of hell about how he is being treated in regards to the outdoor facility. Ridiculous
It's my understanding that the hold up is that the money isn't there. So the BMAs don't need to raise hell, they just need to raise some money.

Our current outdoor track isn't just worst in the SEC and Big 12, it would be the worst in most high school districts too. It's just not a usable track.
fightinag
PhatMack19 said:

He doesn't seem real happy with having the worst facility in the SEC. Hopefully they can get it done.

Get it Built...We can have finally a place with more then one National Championship banner !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
greg.w.h
AG
Softball is scheduled to open in spring 2018 last I heard. Would be great to hear this funded and can be ready to host some of our 2019 outdoor schedule and to start competing for major events. If sooner is possible that would be great.

The cost is high and I'm sure there are questions about issues like "return in investment." Honestly moving T&F out of Kyle Field has paid major dividends and shunting enough to build this needs to be a priority even if we can't get donations. But donations are better!!
NoahAg
Quote:

Best coach at Texas A&M in the history of ever.
FIFY.

Playing devil's advocate, looking at it from a business perspective, why sink tons of money into a program that is a net loser in terms of budget? Especially when they've been so successful with the facilities they have? What percentage of students have ever attended an A&M track meet? I'm guessing <1%.

(I believe we should pay the man and build his facilities. FB makes enough to cover it. Sumlin and Co. should donate to the cause based on Josh Reynolds alone.)
95_Aggie
AG
This is shameful:

Quote:

I don't really know if the outdoor track and field facility is moving forward. There is a lot of talk, but there are no tractors moving, that's all I can tell you. If you're going to build a facility, you build it well. There is no question, we have the absolute worst facility win the SEC, we had the worst in the Big 12. We are somewhere in the process of getting it done, but I don't know when. We envisioned running a meet here in 2018, so I don't know.

Buford T. Justice
AG
I would hope that they have looked at some format of combining the track and field seating setup with soccer. It more bang for the buck, shared services, year round use. Either way, it's going to take a corporate naming gift to get it done. I'm surprised that Henry hasn't gotten Nike money.
Ragoo
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

Best coach at Texas A&M in the history of ever.
FIFY.

Playing devil's advocate, looking at it from a business perspective, why sink tons of money into a program that is a net loser in terms of budget? Especially when they've been so successful with the facilities they have? What percentage of students have ever attended an A&M track meet? I'm guessing <1%.

(I believe we should pay the man and build his facilities. FB makes enough to cover it. Sumlin and Co. should donate to the cause based on Josh Reynolds alone.)
not everything is about revenue, well in college sports anyways....
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.