Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I'm a Sumlin fan.

11,675 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Habanero Guero
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
However, I expect us to not have as good a season this next year and then Sumlin may be fired.

I feel like we lost a lot from this years team and the schedule next year is brutal. Freshman or young QB. Improved but not SEC read o line depth. Defense will also be improved but we don't really have defensive ends to replace what we lost and our linebacker recruiting and play will be average at best.

I do not want to see him be fired as I think that he will get there. Recruiting seems to be doing well and I like the coaching staff. Would like to see what Mazzone and Chief can do with a few more years but I just feel like it's already been decided.

Bunk Moreland
Ok
fredfredunderscorefred
Sumlin doesn't coach offense
Sumlin doesn't coach defense
Sumlin seemingly only is (relatively) good at recruiting, though it's because he has that "swag" so he is recruiting 17-18 year olds that care about that
Then sumlin absolutely sucks at managing said 17-18 yr olds when they act exactly like the prima donnas as expected since they care about swag

What exactly does sumlin do?

I had hope. But seems he clearly is in over his head
Swill94
AG
If I was the actually AD ( not behaving like an irrational fan that thinks a program can be built over night) I'd give him 2 more years with he's coaching staff. I am curious to see how our new S&C coach effects our teams toughness this year!
MaxPower
On your first two points, how many HC coach the O or D? Dabo has never even been an OC.....
MaxPower
I'd guess he goes 7-5 and the question becomes whether you fire a coach whose never had a losing season. The answer is likely no and the fact he preferred Mond to Stidham certainly supports he isn't feeling the heat.
The Debt
I was expecting an oscillating fan with KDS' face that chews as it moves side to side.
george92
He will go 10-2 and get a big extension. Then 4 more years of 8-4 and 7-5. We are the Aggies. Its what we do.
The Debt
10-2 with what defense?
Jock 07
AG
Neat. Thanks for sharing.
chipotle
8-5
BTHOB-98
MaxPower said:

I'd guess he goes 7-5 and the question becomes whether you fire a coach whose never had a losing season. The answer is likely no and the fact he preferred Mond to Stidham certainly supports he isn't feeling the heat.

This is more along the lines of what I am thinking.
Charlie 31
AG
Ag pride
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

However, I expect us to not have as good a season this next year and then Sumlin may be fired.

I feel like we lost a lot from this years team and the schedule next year is brutal. Freshman or young QB. Improved but not SEC read o line depth. Defense will also be improved but we don't really have defensive ends to replace what we lost and our linebacker recruiting and play will be average at best.

I do not want to see him be fired as I think that he will get there. Recruiting seems to be doing well and I like the coaching staff. Would like to see what Mazzone and Chief can do with a few more years but I just feel like it's already been decided.

What makes you think "he'll get there"?

Other than, "I just think he will"

I've yet to here a remotely convincing argument
Bone6
Quote:

Defense will also be improved
I just don't see it with Garrett gone. When he was banged up it became abundantly clear just how many warts he covered up for us.

I think our biggest problem is that our offense relies on elite QB play, and we haven't had it since Johnny. That falls on him. One QB transferring and I chalk it up to "okay, maybe he was a bad egg" or "you can't always get it right in evaluations"...but 3 blue chip recruits leaving in Hill, Allen, and Murray when they either had or would have been in the mix for the starting job for a program of our caliber just seems like a red flag.

Unless he catches lightning in a bottle with Starkel, Mond, or Hubanek takes a big jump, it will be another year of QB play of not nearly enough quality, and I think we'll be looking for a new coach.
cedar
People like you are the reason he's still here. Unbelievable.
jml2621
7-5
NyAggie
AG
If we go 7-5 but we don't collapse down the stretch then sumlin should get another year because the lack of a collapse will show that the new S&C coach is working

New DC, new PC, now new S&C coach

Need to give this thing 2 more years and if we are still no better than 8-5 then you blow it up
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

And yet when Slocum demoted Babers mid season and promoted Sumlin to OC, he instantly resurrected our offense and became one of the best OCs A&M ever had.
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Sumlin doesn't coach defense
Sumlin seemingly only is (relatively) good at recruiting, though it's because he has that "swag" so he is recruiting 17-18 year olds that care about that
Then sumlin absolutely sucks at managing said 17-18 yr olds when they act exactly like the prima donnas as expected since they care about swag

What exactly does sumlin do?

I had hope. But seems he clearly is in over his head
This takes me back to a time when we had a head coach that also coached the offense.
Wooahhhh
AG
I agree with giving Chavis and Mazzone another year, at least.
ghollow
AG
I think Sumlin gets two more years. They need the time to pick a QB and stick with him for several years. these one year QB's are hurting us from setting up any kind of stability in our offense.
They have had a couple of good recruiting years and need the time to get it right on the field.

I like Trevor. He was a decent QB and a great leader.He was not a great QB. Wished we had him for 3 or 4 years instead of just one.

In reference to Hill, Murray and Allen, glad to see them go. None of them are SEC caliber QB's. Look at what they have accomplished since leaving.
EKUAg
AG
ghollow said:

I think Sumlin gets two more years. They need the time to pick a QB and stick with him for several years. these one year QB's are hurting us from setting up any kind of stability in our offense.
They have had a couple of good recruiting years and need the time to get it right on the field.

I like Trevor. He was a decent QB and a great leader.He was not a great QB. Wished we had him for 3 or 4 years instead of just one.

In reference to Hill, Murray and Allen, glad to see them go. None of them are SEC caliber QB's. Look at what they have accomplished since leaving.

Hill I agree with you. The other two are TBD on accomplishments since they had to sit last season due to tranferring.
ghollow
AG
EKUAg said:

ghollow said:

Hill I agree with you. The other two are TBD on accomplishments since they had to sit last season due to tranferring.
True but they sure were not anything to get excited about when they were playing for us.
agfan2013
AG
and whos fault is it for recruiting "non caliber SEC caliber" QBs?

At some point you have to accept that you have enough data points and move on. If we give him another two years and go 7-5 or 8-4, yall will have some new excuse in a couple of years to give him even more time.... "but this new coordinator is REALLY the real deal" or "look at what recruits we have coming in now" "next year the the players will be really hungry to win it all".

Too many enablers these days, you dont pay a coach top 10 salary money to have three mid season collapses in a row. Not everybody is Nick Saban and will have a bad year or two mixed in their seasons, but at this point its a trend with Sumlin and the 10 win season was the exception.
Ag pride
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

And yet when Slocum demoted Babers mid season and promoted Sumlin to OC, he instantly resurrected our offense and became one of the best OCs A&M ever had.

Half a season of good offense =/= offensive mastermind

Especially considering the time period
texancanuck11
ghollow said:

But that comes back to Sumlin's inability to coach/manage prima donas. He could have had a QB for 3/4 years, but instead tried to play whoever had the hot hand on that particular drive. No QB is going to stay around for that. Sumlin shot himself in the foot when he tried to split time between 2 QBs and essentially split the locker room.

I firmly believe that if we stuck with Kyle Allen and never tried to alternate drives with Kyler Murray, Allen would still be here, our results last year would have been similar to what we had, and Sumlin's seat wouldn't be as hot.
jja79
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Wasn't he made OC for the last 3 games of 2002 and we lost 2 of them?
heddy Lamarr
AG
For the 13 years before Sumlin arrived we averaged 6.5 wins per season as members of the Big 12 and had the worst loss in Aggie history. Since his arrival we've averaged almost 9 wins per season. He's done a great job converting a crappy Big 12 program into a competitive SEC program. Its going to take a while for us to be LSU or Alabama....Aggie fans who think we should already be those two programs have mental problems.

The other reality is had we been assigned to the East - we'd likely have been in at least three if not four SEC Championship games.

Those are truth bombs...and the only argument that counts.
GoodOldAgs

ebag02
AG
Sumlin coached the last 9 games of 2002.
OrygunAg
AG
NyAggie said:

If we go 7-5 but we don't collapse down the stretch then sumlin should get another year because the lack of a collapse will show that the new S&C coach is working

New DC, new PC, now new S&C coach

Need to give this thing 2 more years and if we are still no better than 8-5 then you blow it up

I do not think s&c is the biggest reason for the mid-season nosedive, I think the team needs better shrinks. It seems after playing bama, there is a huge mental let down, this program seems to deflate. Guessing, but I think the team gets built up beating inferior teams, by polls, by family, by staff, by each other, whatever. When the bama loss happens, the realization sets in and they are unable to deal with it. It manifests differently across the team but I think the result is what we've seen the last half of seasons recently. Not sure how Sumlin changes that now, as it seems systemic and his efforts to stem have had similar results. This is why I see little hope for this staff.
TangoMike
heddy Lamarr said:

For the 13 years before Sumlin arrived we averaged 6.5 wins per season as members of the Big 12 and had the worst loss in Aggie history. Since his arrival we've averaged almost 9 wins per season. He's done a great job converting a crappy Big 12 program into a competitive SEC program. Its going to take a while for us to be LSU or Alabama....Aggie fans who think we should already be those two programs have mental problems.

The other reality is had we been assigned to the East - we'd likely have been in at least three if not four SEC Championship games.

Those are truth bombs...and the only argument that counts.
These are not facts, they are opinions. hope this helps
zooguy96
Admitting that you are a Sumlin fan after the regression that we've seen the last 5 years and despite changing every coach except himself is like admitting you are addicted to something while changing everything except what you are addicted to.

Maybe its as easy as ... Sumlin is the problem.
Ian Neff
AG
The problem, again, is US.

WE are the problem. It doesn't matter who we bring in here. We're like a virus.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.