Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2017 D Line

8,170 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rick Flex
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
beerad12man said:

Amazing Moves said:

Except judging by his next post, he's dead serious and it wasn't a joke.

Sorry mpaggie, you don't lose Myles Garret and get better at a position. Look at our run defense to Myles side compared to any other DE. It's night and day. No one is even close to him. I'm all for optimism, but that just goes beyond ridiculous. We've heard optimism since 2013 out of bright every year and it's all the same. Meltdown after meltdown. This one is too obvious to believe.

Lets just hope our DTs, LBs, and CBs improve enough to offset the inevitable lesser play at DE.

Actually you can. Not saying we will but it is possible to improve play with losing Myles.
AgsWin08
Looks like a solid rotation to me, but I'm no coach. You never know, a superstar leaving the DE spot may allow others to improve resulting in a better D Line overall.

OT may be the bigger question for sure. LB? When will we have any again?
Rick Flex
AG
beerad12man said:

Jim Turner can't block quick SEC DEs. You either have the guys or you don't.

Tackle is a big worry for next year. We need to stop acting like our coaches can coach our way to championships. It's still talent first. Turners a great coach, but you can't fake certain things. Good offensive tackle play, created a pass rush, coverage, etc. You either have the personnel to compete for championships or you don't.
I understand the concern at tackle, however, Martin played well in his limited opportunities and I'm optimistic about Diesch on the other side. He is a highly rated recruit that has all the measurables for a NFL tackle. Looking forward to seeing what Turner can get out of him. Reed and Green will be pushing for playing time as freshman as well.

cevans_40
AG
beerad12man said:

Tackle is a big worry for next year. We need to stop acting like our coaches can coach our way to championships. It's still talent first. Turners a great coach, but you can't fake certain things. Good offensive tackle play, created a pass rush, coverage, etc. You either have the personnel to compete for championships or you don't.

Sutherland and Diesch were rated pretty high. About right in line with guys like Jake and Ced. I think there is talent on the OL and hopefully Turner can get the most out of them. I think the situation is a great deal brighter than the doom and gloom picture you are creating.
mpaggie06
AG
beerad12man said:

Amazing Moves said:

Except judging by his next post, he's dead serious and it wasn't a joke.

Sorry mpaggie, you don't lose Myles Garret and get better at a position. Look at our run defense to Myles side compared to any other DE. It's night and day. No one is even close to him. I'm all for optimism, but that just goes beyond ridiculous. We've heard optimism since 2013 out of bright every year and it's all the same. Meltdown after meltdown. This one is too obvious to believe.

Lets just hope our DTs, LBs, and CBs improve enough to offset the inevitable lesser play at DE.

The only thing worse than biting hard on the out and up is biting twice on a double move and just falling down altogether. Consider your ankles broken. Although, the more I tried to reason out that argument the more I started to even convince myself of it. If it happens, you heard it here first.
Amazing Moves
Well it should have been a joke.
BAS for life
mpaggie06 said:

Look, I'm not going to sit here and try to debate something with you that can't be proven either way. All I'm telling you is that the (reasonably believable) speculation that I'm hearing from multiple people pretty close to the program is that we actually have a chance to make strides at DE next year. Whether that's players fitting Chavis' ideal mold better, being more open to coaching, or just a hidden gem or two that are showing signs of major upside that most aren't yet aware of, I'll leave it to you to guess. You can't replace a skill set and natural abilities of someone like Myles (at least without Bama-level recruits), but it is possible to see the sum of all D-line parts function much better next year, leading the way to improved DE production even if no single player can match his physicality. Throw in the fact that he was hurt most of the year, and you start to see that it's not as far fetched as it seems on paper. Doesn't mean that it will happen, but there are a few people with a lot more access to things than me that seem to feel pretty sure of it; even this early on in the year.

Lol
Aggieland Lady
AG
ClassOf17 said:

It'll look like four really big fat guys

Daylon be like:

GreatSullysGhost
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Amazing Moves said:

Also, Tate Pittman should get a serious look.
I wouldn't look at him too closely.
NO MORE TATES
CrazyDayDuck
Good Wood said:

beerad12man said:

I understand the concern at tackle, however, Martin played well in his limited opportunities and I'm optimistic about Diesch on the other side. He is a highly rated recruit that has all the measurables for a NFL tackle. Looking forward to seeing what Turner can get out of him. Reed and Green will be pushing for playing time as freshman as well.

Actually Koda struggled when Connor went down and London was move to RG. Turner even experimented with Colton playing RT I believe in the UTSA game. He did seem to play better in the last few games though.

We definitely two solid OTs to step up. McCollum is another potential candidate OT candidate.

I'm confident that Jim Turner will settle on the best combination.
Rick Flex
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Good Wood said:

beerad12man said:

Actually Koda struggled when Connor went down and London was move to RG. Turner even experimented with Colton playing RT I believe in the UTSA game. He did seem to play better in the last few games though.

We definitely two solid OTs to step up. McCollum is another potential candidate OT candidate.

Um, no Koda was moved to RT during the UTSA game, I think you got them mixed up. And after that the o-line as a whole looked better - it was one of the few bright spots during that game. And yes he did improve his play from earlier in the year.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Good Wood said:

beerad12man said:

I may be too black or white here, but if Diesch doesn't win a starting job at tackle and then also isn't at minimum serviceable, then I would consider him a disappointment at that point. By start of fall, he will have had a full year of bulking up and coaching up from Turner. Some mods on other Aggie websites already have him at or damn near 300lbs, and he's at least 6'6, so he's got the size to be a good tackle. With how talented he is, and how highly rated he was coming out of high school, in addition to BOTH our tackle spots being essentially wide open, there's just no excuse for Diesch not to win a starting spot.
Sparkie
AG
Slow with many holes
CrazyDayDuck
Good Wood said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Good Wood said:

beerad12man said:

Um, no Koda was moved to RT during the UTSA game, I think you got them mixed up. And after that the o-line as a whole looked better - it was one of the few bright spots during that game. And yes he did improve his play from earlier in the year.

The only two games Koda started at RT was New Mexico St and our last game against Kansas St.

London came back to start at RT against Miss St, Prater started at RT against Ole Miss and UTSA (when Koda struggled) and London came back to start at RT against LSU.

The O Line looked the best at the beginning of the year with AG at LT, Prater at LG, McCoy at C, Connor at RG and London at RT.

Hopefully Koda and Diesch can develop into to OTs we need them to be.
Rick Flex
AG
Yes you got the games Koda started correct. And yes Turner played around the personnel during the UTSA game. However, during that game, Koda came in for Prater at RT at a certain point, and Prater moved back to guard I believe. The offensive line played better after that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.