Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2017 D Line

8,162 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rick Flex
AgsWin08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's our 2 deep D Line look like for the fall?
Inspector Javert
Underachieving
OrygunAg
AG
More like 3 deep, amirite?
Meximan
Looks like a defensive line.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Meximan said:

Looks like a defensive line.

Debatable
68RebelE
AG
Such pride. This thoughtful insight I why I keep coming back.
vander54
S
DT will probably be Henderson and Keke starting, with Moton and Mack as seconds.

DE will be between Cunningham, Johnson, and Clemons starting as for back ups I'm not sure.

DT is set and safe. DE is the question mark but we have a couple of players that came into the program as DE and either have moved to OLB or rumored to have moved to DT.
The Collective
AG
Some walk-on is destroying it in workouts and will be providing an edge to the 2017 pass rush.
mpaggie06
AG
Hearing that DE might actually be better in '17 than it was in '16, even without Myles.
Jack Cheese
AG
mpaggie06 said:

Hearing that DE might actually be better in '17 than it was in '16, even without Myles.

Sounds about right. All the discussion on texags after the season was about how Myles sucked anyway.
ClassOf17
It'll look like four really big fat guys
GoodOldAgs
mpaggie06 said:

LOL, I'd like to hear someone who truly believes this sell me..
vander54
S
mpaggie06 said:

I'm sure you are joking but if not, it's actually possible but I'll believe it when I see it. until then I'm calling bs
SpringAg92
Looking forward to seeing Moton in the mix.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Don't forget madubuike (spelling?). Also tyree Johnson should work his way in.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Oh and Reggie chevis
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
DE Johnson, Clemons, madubuike
DT keke chevis moton
Dt Zay Mack peevy
De Cunningham tyree
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I'm probably wrong on positions but at least the names are there
Amazing Moves
Also, Tate Pittman should get a serious look.
beerad12man
AG
mpaggie06 said:

Lol come on bro. De and ot are by far the biggest concerns for next season. Most are very concerned with de and our lack of a pass rush next year. Now we might be solid against the run which would definitely help, but I'll have to take a wait and see approach on that.

Now dt looks really good. On paper we should be one d the best dt rotations in the country. With chevis we got a legit 5. Most teams beg to find 3.

Overall it has a chance to be solid but we have to find a pass rush otherwise the defense will struggle and Chavis will be forced to bring extra help. I'm not sure we have the corners for that.
Amazing Moves
Meximan
beerad12man said:

mpaggie06 said:

Lol come on bro. De and ot are by far the biggest concerns for next season. Most are very concerned with de and our lack of a pass rush next year. Now we might be solid against the run which would definitely help, but I'll have to take a wait and see approach on that.

Now dt looks really good. On paper we should be one d the best dt rotations in the country. With chevis we got a legit 5. Most teams beg to find 3.

Overall it has a chance to be solid but we have to find a pass rush otherwise the defense will struggle and Chavis will be forced to bring extra help. I'm not sure we have the corners for that.

I'm not worried about OT because Jim Turner. In some ways though, it's better to get your pass rush up the middle because it collapses the pocket; if Mack can step up and provide that, the pass rush should be acceptably strong.
AWP 97
AG
I'm going to go ahead and question the "we might have the best DT rotation in the country" take.
cevans_40
AG
We may not get after the passer as well but I believe there is a strong possibility we will be better against the run if our DE's aren't always trying to run around the tackles.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Amazing Moves said:

I wouldn't look at him too closely.
mpaggie06
AG
Look, I'm not going to sit here and try to debate something with you that can't be proven either way. All I'm telling you is that the (reasonably believable) speculation that I'm hearing from multiple people pretty close to the program is that we actually have a chance to make strides at DE next year. Whether that's players fitting Chavis' ideal mold better, being more open to coaching, or just a hidden gem or two that are showing signs of major upside that most aren't yet aware of, I'll leave it to you to guess. You can't replace a skill set and natural abilities of someone like Myles (at least without Bama-level recruits), but it is possible to see the sum of all D-line parts function much better next year, leading the way to improved DE production even if no single player can match his physicality. Throw in the fact that he was hurt most of the year, and you start to see that it's not as far fetched as it seems on paper. Doesn't mean that it will happen, but there are a few people with a lot more access to things than me that seem to feel pretty sure of it; even this early on in the year.
vander54
S
If true it would be a nice surprise. There a few examples of how I think it could happen but I haven't seen anything to believe it will happen, like 99% of the posters on here. I hope it's true because that would be a huge plus to next year.
jt16
AG
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Amazing Moves said:

I wouldn't look at him too closely.

I hear he's flashing good play at times
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
There is no debate that our 2016 DE situation against UCLA >>>>>>> 2017 DE situation against UCLA.

But if we are talking October and November DE play....with an absent or 70% Myles - I absolutely would expect our DE play to be as good or better than that.
Hu11abaloo
AG
Buceesnuggets said:

Oh and Reggie chevis
is it me or has this guy been on the team for like 6 years
TMartin
Moton was offered by bama and lsu so I expect him to contribute quickly. Alaka and Moore at outside linebacker with their speed is going to be important due to the big drop-off at DE.
The Collective
AG
Hu11abaloo said:

Buceesnuggets said:

Oh and Reggie chevis
is it me or has this guy been on the team for like 6 years

It might be because the only player that I remember generating more offseason talk than him was Johnny.
wbt5845
AG
Hard to fathom that a guy with the skill set that Mack has can't do more with it. Maybe it'll finally click this spring (but I doubt it).
beerad12man
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Except judging by his next post, he's dead serious and it wasn't a joke.

Sorry mpaggie, you don't lose Myles Garret and get better at a position. Look at our run defense to Myles side compared to any other DE. It's night and day. No one is even close to him. I'm all for optimism, but that just goes beyond ridiculous. We've heard optimism since 2013 out of bright every year and it's all the same. Meltdown after meltdown. This one is too obvious to believe.

Lets just hope our DTs, LBs, and CBs improve enough to offset the inevitable lesser play at DE.
beerad12man
AG
Jim Turner can't block quick SEC DEs. You either have the guys or you don't.

Tackle is a big worry for next year. We need to stop acting like our coaches can coach our way to championships. It's still talent first. Turners a great coach, but you can't fake certain things. Good offensive tackle play, created a pass rush, coverage, etc. You either have the personnel to compete for championships or you don't.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.