Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why are so many recruits leaving the state?

8,159 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Saint Pablo
CoolAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because it has been a bad decade for sip football and a bad century for Aggie football sans the years under a Jonathan F Football.
fistofsouth
Escobars army said:

Because not everybody drinks the Texas kool aid and realizes the weather is way better in several states. I left the first day I could. I love the people but you can't replace LA weather.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never been to Fort Davis, Marfa, et al.
45-70Ag
AG
fistofsouth said:

Escobars army said:

Because not everybody drinks the Texas kool aid and realizes the weather is way better in several states. I left the first day I could. I love the people but you can't replace LA weather.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never been to Fort Davis, Marfa, et al.

Your argument is one the least populated and most isolated areas of the state.
Ian Neff
AG
Do kids care about weather?
BTKAG97
AG
Not an in depth analysis. just a quick, cursory look at the composite recruit rankings.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Top 10: 2 stayed in state (20%)
Top 25: 7 stayed in state (28%)
Top 50: 16 stayed in state (32%)

States keeping talent:

California: 5 IN / 2 OUT -- USC (2), UCLA (2), Standford (1)
Georgia: 4 IN / 2 OUT -- Georgia (4)
Florida: 2 IN / 6 OUT -- Florida State (2)
Tennessee: 1 IN / 2 OUT -- Tennessee (1)
Pennsylvia: 1 IN / 1 OUT -- Penn St (1)
Virginia: 1 IN / 1 OUT -- Virginia Tech (1)
Alabama: 1 IN / 0 OUT -- Alabama (1)
Michigan: 1 IN / 0 OUT
Illinois: 0 IN / 2 OUT
Texas: 0 IN / 7 OUT
Rest: 0 IN / 11 OUT -- Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Kentucky, Hawaii, Indiana, DC*, New York, Maryland, Washington, Mississippi

Schools total from Top 50:

Alabama: 7 -- 1 IN / 7 OUT
Ohio State: 7 -- 0 IN / 7 OUT
Georgia: 6 -- 4 IN / 2 OUT
Florida St: 5 -- 2 IN / 3 OUT
USC: 4 -- 2 IN / 2 OUT
Stanford: 4 -- 1 IN / 3 OUT
Michigan: 3 -- 1 IN / 2 OUT
LSU: 3 -- 0 IN / 3 OUT
UCLA: 2 -- 2 IN / 0 OUT

It seems students from most states leave thier respective states.
Georgia looks to be the biggest abnormality to that statistic.

Top schools pull a lot of OOS talent.

In Texas, Texas has been terrible lately and Texas A&M does not have the history. The rest of the schools in Texas are not considered powerhouses.
AWP 97
AG
aggieclay hit the nail on the head. Lack of pride in your home state. The sheer size of this state dilutes the population's allegiance to any one school. tu has been the most successful in overcoming this.
cevans_40
AG
Because for Dallas kids OU is as close/closer than A&M and tu and for Houston kids LSU is just as close.
fightinag
cevans_40 said:

Because for Dallas kids OU is as close/closer than A&M and tu and for Houston kids LSU is just as close.
oh yea.....and they WIN too !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Sublette County
AG
cevans_40 said:

for Houston kids LSU is just as close.

Nope.
Bone6
Quote:

A&M and texas should both be dominate programs like tOSU, USC, FSU, and Bama but there is some kind of mystic about leaving Texas to go play for a "Big Time Program".

My whole life...
The second either t.u. or a&m starts finishing in the top 25 this problem will be diminished pretty significantly. The second one of the two schools starts finishing in the top 10, we/they will shut down the state and you'll start seeing half of the top 25 kids in the state commit to that school by midway through the summer.

Look at what Mack did to the state in the mid to late 2000's.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm not sure anything before Mack brown applies to today.

Were recruits leaving Texas in any significant number in the 70's, 80's or 90's?
cevans_40
AG
fightinag said:

cevans_40 said:

oh yea.....and they WIN too !

That certainly doesn't hurt
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

the weather is way better in several states

Are these the states where the schools are that are largely taking Texas players?

The weather isn't better in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, or really anywhere else other than Florida, California, and Hawaii.
Iowaggie
AG
For those who may have a better historical perspective:

I know one of the expressed concerns of A&M going to the SEC was that Texas talent was more likely to now head to the SEC schools, as well as B12 schools.

My question: Is more top talent from Texas consistently heading to SEC Schools now?
Lone Stranger
Here is a Texags thread started in 2004 on the subject....in February. Why I absolutely HATE THE OFF SEASON!

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/302200

If you could go back to 12thfans.com and other pre TexAgs sites you might find threads about the TX Leg trying to come up with laws to keep all the TX talent home when it was all fleeing the state during all the probations in the Sure We Cheat conference in the 80's and early 90's.

AustinAggie90
Texas and OU are always going to get theirs due to location, what is alarming however is how easy LSU and Bama come in and take whoever they want. Kinda makes you wonder if A&M going sec and kicking the pipeline doors wide open to Bama and LSU is better in the long run for A&M...it's not trending in the right direction.
Scientific
AG
How many are LSU & Bama really taking? Big 10 schools actively recruit here too.

A combination of so many transplants with little connections to the state & kids just having the desire to leave. Is there a comparison to CA & FL recruits leaving the state?
aeon-ag
schwack schwack said:

They ask several:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/2/16/14611480/texas-am-recruit-tom-herman-kevin-sumlin-houston-2018

Quote:

Of the state's 47 recruits rated four- or five-stars, 30 signed with out-of-state programs.

What program in the state of Texas has a chance of winning a National Championship??!! Answer? ZILCH!!!! I doesn't take a recruiting article to tell me this!
aeon-ag
Iowaggie said:

For those who may have a better historical perspective:

I know one of the expressed concerns of A&M going to the SEC was that Texas talent was more likely to now head to the SEC schools, as well as B12 schools.

My question: Is more top talent from Texas consistently heading to SEC Schools now?
The cure for the is easy. A competent coach + WINNING!!!!!! Something we haven't had since Bryant and Sherrill!!
schmellba99
AG
Irish_Man said:

I'm not sure anything before Mack brown applies to today.

Were recruits leaving Texas in any significant number in the 70's, 80's or 90's?
Yes, yes and yes.

This is not really a new phenomenon - just one we can instantly get data on now.

OU has always taken Texas talent. In the 60's, 70's and 80's Arkansas took a fair amount of it as well. LSU started taking a few here and there in the late 90's and 2000's when they crawled out of the well of mediocrity. In the late 90's and 2000's, SCw took some Texas talent. I bet Nebraska took some Texas kids in the 80's and 90's when they were amongst the top dogs.

In the early 90's, Tennessee was the school to be at and some top Texas kids went there (Brandon Stewart, for example). I'd bet that FSU had a few cherry picks during their heyday when Bowden brought them into the spotlight, Miami took several in the late 80's and 90's when they were the powerhouse, Notre Dame has always taken a few here and there, and Michigan/tOSU/Penn State probably took a few now and again as well simply because they were powerhouse programs for so long before the SEC kind of took over as the dominant conference.
BTKAG97
AG
Again, looking at 247's composite rankings.

There are 335 combined 4 and 5 star players. 47 of those players are from Texas (14%).

# Recruits -- School -- Rankings

6 -- Texas A&M -- 63, 159, 180, 247, 248, 313
6 -- Texas -- 119, 152, 158, 199, 253, 302
6 -- Oklahoma -- 97, 101, 156, 169, 178, 210
5 -- LSU -- 37, 48, 90, 194, 257
4 -- TCU -- 91, 161, 167, 197
3 -- Ohio State -- 7, 11, 43
2 -- Alabama -- 88, 309
2 -- Notre Dame -- 67, 254
2 -- Stanford -- 10, 109
2 -- Oklahoma State -- 117, 243
1 -- Florida State -- 6
1 -- Texas Tech -- 76
1 -- Southern Cal -- 92
1 -- Michigan -- 113
1 -- Arizona State -- 139
1 -- Arkansas -- 143
1 -- Northwestern -- 217
1 -- UCLA -- 246
1 -- Colorado -- 311
Bone6
The surprise is the top end going out of state. Sure, t.u. and a&m got our fair share of 4 stars, but we each only got one player in the top 20 for the state (while t.u. didn't get any in the top 10).

Once you get out of the top 20 we're gong to get a lot of Texas kids simply because Alabama/Ohio State are only going to allocate so many resources for Texas kids, but for the cream of the crop where there was a recruiting battle against another big out of state school, Ohio State/Alabama/LSU pretty much kicked our ass.
HoustonKid
So, let's go recruit kids from the frozen lands and convince them that beer is better at Dudley's.
Bowlinag
AG
I Blame 4K TV. Parents can watch their kids from home on their newly purchased 70" 4K TV from the $$$ they got from the programs.
AGGies0311
Don't attack them, they are snowflakes and will melt with all this hate you're sending them.
Saint Pablo
Because they want to play out of state
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.