Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Good read about our 2012 recruiting class

8,436 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Radiant
AggieArcher17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://gigemgazette.com/2017/01/31/texas-am-recruiting-a-look-back-at-the-ags-inaugural-sec-recruiting-class

Edited to fix link
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
You linked page 7

Page 1 link:
http://gigemgazette.com/2017/01/31/texas-am-recruiting-a-look-back-at-the-ags-inaugural-sec-recruiting-class/
CoachC16
Jason Ag
AG
I thought it was a depressing read overall.
Radiant
CoachC16
AG
Just a class of role players for the most part, kind of a crazy and sad group though with mike rich, polo, and Johnson.
monarch
S
Could have been better...
Radiant
AG
The lack of depth that resulted from this class was extremely noticeable in 2015 and 2016. Can't afford to miss on most of an entire class in the SEC West.
rwhitlock3
AG
That class followed up with the abysmal 2013 class are a large reason we have seen 3 straight 8-5 years... Hopefully things are better stabilized now. Really looking forward to the depth the 2017 class should provide.
Beer Knurd
It seems like this happens to us too often. I read an article on Numbers a few weeks ago that revisited the 10 highest rated players we've gotten coming out of high school over the last 20 years or so. So many busts.
Radiant
AG
It's amazing how much you can hide when Johnny Manziel is your quarterback.
PJYoung
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

That class followed up with the abysmal 2013 class are a large reason we have seen 3 straight 8-5 years... Hopefully things are better stabilized now. Really looking forward to the depth the 2017 class should provide.
100% this.
AWP 97
AG
Save this thread. We'll need it as a reference point once Sumlin is fired.
4L Aggie
AG
Think the 2013 class would be a more depressing read. On paper, it sure seemed like the best class we had ever signed. The attrition and lack of solid contributors truly made that one of the most overrated classes ever. Daeshon Hall and RSJ were the only real impact players in that class with Hardreck Walker and Shaan Washington having had meaningful playing time too.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The biggest difference between the 2012 class and the 2013 was size.
The fact that 2013 had about 10 more signees meant it left a much bigger hole.
saw em off
Read about Thomas Johnson again. Sad, the way things turned out for him.
Radiant
AG
I think the combination of the 2012 and 2013 classes made the drop off from Manziel all that more significant. Our offensive depth was fairly good, but our defense got gutted by those two classes.
TMartin
Seems a number of players were not vetted very closely for lack of a better term. I saw Trey Williams play in high school many times and he was WASTED at A&M.
beerad12man
AG
Radiant said:

The lack of depth that resulted from this class was extremely noticeable in 2015 and 2016. Can't afford to miss on most of an entire class in the SEC West.
2016? No. Those would be RS SRs. Some teams are lucky to have 5 total RS SRs on their roster, unless all you recruit are 2 stars and low 3 stars that have minimal chance of ever going pro. 2013 is what killed 2016, and even 2015 to a greater extent than 2012. By 2016, I couldn't care less about 2012. Just like in 2017, I couldn't care less about the 2013 class. It's finally gone too.
beerad12man
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

I still say it was mostly coaching. We were one of 13 teams in the country with more 4/5 stars on our roster in 2016 despite the attrition from 2012/2013. We landed a bunch of quality transfers and had plenty of talent to do better than 8-5. I won't buy that these poor coaches were so strapped with lacking talent because of classes 4-5 years ago for a second. Not when you have added nearly 80 guys in the 2014-2016 classes plus transfers.

There's a reason we are firing coaches every offseason and it goes beyond just these 2 recruiting classes that everyone wants to blame.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Disappointing class considering it's potential. Seems like half the class transferred out. Williams was the most exciting prospect I've ever seen coming in but never got into position to showcase what he could do. Johnson's story is tragic. So much defensive attrition.
dah4439
AG
Click-bait garbage.
PJYoung
AG
TMartin said:

Seems a number of players were not vetted very closely for lack of a better term. I saw Trey Williams play in high school many times and he was WASTED at A&M.

If only he had learned to pass block.
Post removed:
by user
Radiant
AG
We had so many running backs. Would have fairer much better if he was used like Ford/Williams were this year instead of getting a handful of touches a game.
Lateralus Ag
AG
beerad12man said:

rwhitlock3 said:

I still say it was mostly coaching. We were one of 13 teams in the country with more 4/5 stars on our roster in 2016 despite the attrition from 2012/2013. We landed a bunch of quality transfers and had plenty of talent to do better than 8-5. I won't buy that these poor coaches were so strapped with lacking talent because of classes 4-5 years ago for a second. Not when you have added nearly 80 guys in the 2014-2016 classes plus transfers.

There's a reason we are firing coaches every offseason and it goes beyond just these 2 recruiting classes that everyone wants to blame.

I tend to agree. Sumlin has and has had way more talent than a lot of coaches (Bill Snyder, for example) and has simply not developed that talent. The losses to the state of Mississippi over the last few years, especially in 2016, are a testament to this fact.

A coach and a team on the rise beat OM and MSU and LSU the last two years. Sumlin is floundering in his own ineptitude. But, he has a top 20 class again, so you sunshine boys think that somehow changes everything we have seen on the field.

Here is a hint: it doesn't change a thing.

HTH.
OrygunAg
AG
All things being equal, it doesn't change a thing and we will see more of same. There have been changes on staff in recent years, but I adhere to "yesterday's weather" as a pretty solid indicator of near term future results.
C4D
AG
Lets be real.

The lack of depth at the head coach position is what causes repeat mediocre years.

No way around it
GoodOldAgs
C4D said:

Lets be real.

The lack of depth at the head coach position is what causes repeat mediocre years.

No way around it
Radiant
AG
Think he'll ever find a home in the pros? I feel like he's on a new practice squad every year. Still in the league last I heard though, so clearly there is something there.
PJYoung
AG
Radiant said:

Think he'll ever find a home in the pros? I feel like he's on a new practice squad every year. Still in the league last I heard though, so clearly there is something there.

Too little but I hope I'm wrong.
Radiant
AG
Seems like he has as good a chance as Cmike right now. He hasn't settled on any team yet, and he's had ample opportunity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.