Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Starkel vs Mond

17,552 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GreatSullysGhost
randy828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

He's coming into the season with motivation, mastery of the offense
Eike Mlko
Texasaggie2016 said:

Johnny Manziel.....yeah, yeah "but he is a once in a lifetime player"...Crablegs Winston....Jalen Hurts...it is becoming more and more common that underclassman come in and start. Not saying it will happen but it is happening an awful lot lately
please dont compare hurts and manziel. Hurts played on a really good team
H-town ag
AG
Is there a complete list of our current QBs, including preferred walkons? I get the top 3, just curious who else is in the mix.
Tmoneyag99
AG
H-town ag said:

Is there a complete list of our current QBs, including preferred walkons? I get the top 3, just curious who else is in the mix.
Under the Football Tab there is a list of our roster that can be sorted by position.
EliteZags
AG
gimme Mond, I rather a shot at winning between 4 and 10 games than between 6 and 8
AgEngr16
AG
Not once did I compare the two. I made a point that underclassman/freshman are coming in and proving they can succeed on the big stage. I don't expect Mond to even compare to Johnny. However Mond could be an impact freshman like the players I mentioned in the OP.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Texasaggie2016 said:

Not once did I compare the too. I made a point that underclassman/freshman are coming in and proving they can succeed on the big stage. I don't expect Mond to even compare to Johnny. However Mond could be an impact freshman like the players I mentioned in the OP.
Come on man...
jml2621
Mond.
BrandoC
AG
If Hubes plans on winning starting spot he is going to have to quickly learn how to throw a spiral. He does throw some accurate passes but also throws alot of ducks all over the place.
Jim Benson 63
AG
Whoever the QB is, his play will be greatly influenced by the quality of our OL. Look at JFF and Hurts. Both played behind outstanding off lines. The OL play will determine how our QB looks.
Bunk Moreland
Whenever I make my prediction, take the other guy.
PatAg
AG
Jim Benson 63 said:

Whoever the QB is, his play will be greatly influenced by the quality of our OL. Look at JFF and Hurts. Both played behind outstanding off lines. The OL play will determine how our QB looks.
Are we sure JFF was playing behind an outstanding OL, or did his superior ability on the field make them look outstanding? None of them have excelled in the NFL so far.
TyHolden
AG
Matchup discussion about 2 qbs nobody has seen play college ball...I'm going with whoever can run the ball better because our line is not great and we have little experience at wr. Remember many on here thought showers looked better in the spring game prior to heisman.
aeon-ag
TXM Pride said:

Unless Hubenak is far and away better than the other 2 I would give it to one of the underclassmen. They have a chance of developing into a better QB with time. We know what we get from Jake and with him it's another 1 and done starter we will be replacing in a year.
IF HUBA....whatever, is the best we have, were in trouble!!!!!!!!!
Bone6
PatAg said:

Jim Benson 63 said:

Are we sure JFF was playing behind an outstanding OL, or did his superior ability on the field make them look outstanding? None of them have excelled in the NFL so far.
All 5 of them are in the NFL still.

Jake Matthews has locked him self down as a starter for the Falcons while Cedric and Luke have logged a lot of NFL starts despite some injury issues. Turner and Harrison have strung together a good string of years as NFL reserves at this point. Sure, there are no pro bowls so far in the group, but you won't find a lot of college offensive lines that are much better.
USMCAggie96
AG
Look forward to a great battle at the QB position. If Starkel and Mond aren't clearly ready then I wouldn't mind seeing Hubenak get the nod. Something to be said for experience and in spot duty, Hubenak has actually been surprisingly good. Only real question I have is if the O-line is good enough to give him time to throw. Hubenak doesn't seem too comfortable making quick reads and getting the ball out under pressure, this might be where Mond's feet prove advantageous. Starkel may be similar but don't know. Would be a nice surprise to see if Starkel emerges as the most ready between him and Mond and if that is enough reason to redshirt him.
Semper Fi and Gig’ Em!

USMC
Texas A&M Class of 1996
Johnstown, CO
FishingAggie
Jim Benson 63 said:

This. This. This.

No qb will be successful without this ^
TyHolden
AG
Hurts situation is unlike any true freshman in a while. Although good to great, he could have been average at most places.
Snap E Tom
Man, Starkel's pic on the front page looks like puberty steamrolled him.
mcag83
AG
Snap E Tom said:

He does look all growed up ass my dude.
merch
As I addressed during last season, the coaching staff obviously thinks Jake gave us a better chance to win than Starkel...hard to see that mind set changing over one offseason. Staff obviously likes Jake. If staff thought Starkel gave us a better chance he would have been playing at the back end of last year.

So yes, Jake is in the mix for the starting role. Hard to see Mond being ready.
RDV-1992
merch said:

As I addressed during last season, the coaching staff obviously thinks Jake gave us a better chance to win than Starkel...hard to see that mind set changing over one offseason. Staff obviously likes Jake. If staff thought Starkel gave us a better chance he would have been playing at the back end of last year.

So yes, Jake is in the mix for the starting role. Hard to see Mond being ready.
And when Jake was playing he was hurt.
The Collective
AG
Snap E Tom said:

It does look like he could probably kick Tate's ass at least.
sincereag
That pic of Starkel shows something. He's put on some good weight and looks much different than your normal fish QB.
Fizban
CJS4715 said:

Snap E Tom said:

It does look like he could probably kick Tate's ass at least.
Tate Martell is listed as 5'10.5" and 203 lbs.

Starkel was listed as 6'3.5" and 186 lbs in his recruiting profile... 247 now lists him as 207.

It is safe to say that Starkel has a much bigger frame than Martell and will almost certainly end up being much bigger when all is said and done. That doesn't mean he will be the better player... but it helps.

Seven Costanza
AG
Starkel's dad has an interesting background. West Point grad, Carnegie Mellon MBA, etc.
CrazyDayDuck
Nick will be deja vu of Josh Rosen '15.

Tate will be riding the pine with his teammates saying, "He's ass my dude".
74OA
AG
TXM Pride said:

Unless Hubenak is far and away better than the other 2 I would give it to one of the underclassmen. They have a chance of developing into a better QB with time. We know what we get from Jake and with him it's another 1 and done starter we will be replacing in a year.
Snap E Tom
NICK STARKEL HYPE TRAIN!!!!! GET ON BOARD M*****F******!!!!!! CHOO CHOOO!!!
DuckDown2013
AG
Snap E Tom said:

NICK STARKEL HYPE TRAIN!!!!! GET ON BOARD M*****F******!!!!!! CHOO CHOOO!!!

I'm on board!
W
AG
the program needs Starkel to impress and win the job
GreatSullysGhost
4 said:

TXM Pride said:

They have a Janice of developing into a better QB with time..

I knew a chick named Janice once. Nice cans.
Rule.One.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.