Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Realistic Hire (Secondary Coach) -- Aaron Glenn

8,171 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by M-176
Pylon Cam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If our coaches are serious, they should go out and hire a secondary coach like Aaron Glenn.

Glenn is the current secondary coach for the Saints. He took a ravaged SECondary in the NFL and made it an above average NFL secondary in just two years. The players love him.

As an A&M alumnae and former player, I think he'd love to coach in Aggieland. We just have to ask. Alert the people with the stars next to their name as well!

AggieGreg06
AG
Glenn has been with the Saints for one season and they gave up 4,380 passing yards this year, which was the most in the NFL. Opponents attempted 582 passes against their defense, which was tied for 11th most in the league, so it's not like they gave up the most yards because they allowed the most attempts.

27 pass TDs allowed (tied for 12th most, so not great) to 9 interceptions (tied for 27th most, so well below-average)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm
Meximan
NFL... College... NFL... One of these is not like the other.
maxnow21
Not a bad hire. Of course I'm still gonna roll my eyes because cliche TexAgs- always wanting to hire Aggies at every job opening, for every position, just they're Aggies. No matter how far fetched or how much of a downgrade it could be. Would be nice for someone on this site to get out of their maroon fantasyland and discuss realistic hires for once though.
Pylon Cam
AG
Thanks for bringing stats. Glenn has improved the secondary in the year he's been there. The three Aggie coaches with the saints all survived the mass assistant firing this year. The players love him so far. They dealt with run well. He is still a fairly young coach so it would be nice to snag him before he becomes a defensive coordinatior. He has only been a secondary coach for two or three years now.
Chuck Gay
AG

Quote:

which was tied for 11th most in the league
So their stats weren't in the best 25% or worst 25% of the NFL. Is that good or bad considering the Saints pass rush and talent in the secondary?
Pylon Cam
AG
I believe Aaron Glenn would be a huge upgrade to Terry Joseph. Terry Joseph was) in my opinion) one of the weakest links of our staff. I am glad that he chose to be with us, however. I wish him much sucsess at UNC. Thanks and Gig'em coach Joseph.

The family approach works well. Dabo Swinney at Clemson preaches it. They hire almost entirely Clemson alum. Aggies would not leave A&M for lateral jobs, leaving a stable and therefore better coaching staff, especially considering the fact that we a lot of grads in coaching.
Pylon Cam
AG
Meximan said:

NFL... College... NFL... One of these is not like the other.
That is why I think he would be more effective in college. Glenn's secondary at A&M would not be facing receivers as scary as the Saints do.
biobioprof
I really know very little about the DB coach landscape, but the polar opposite of hiring Glenn might be:

Try to steal Duane Akina from Stanford. When Akina left tu for Arizona in 2011, he came back for family reasons. Strong didn't keep him and he went to coach DBs at Stanford, but maybe he still has reasons to want to get back to the State of Texas. Stanford's been pretty decent on D and as I recall tu was pretty good for DBs when he was in Austin.
TXM Pride
If my memory serves me correctly Akina is a real high energy type of guy. I like to see that from coaches. Wouldn't mind seeing him on staff.
maxnow21
rudder2020 said:

I believe Aaron Glenn would be a huge upgrade to Terry Joseph. Terry Joseph was) in my opinion) one of the weakest links of our staff. I am glad that he chose to be with us, however. I wish him much sucsess at UNC. Thanks and Gig'em coach Joseph.

The family approach works well. Dabo Swinney at Clemson preaches it. They hire almost entirely Clemson alum. Aggies would not leave A&M for lateral jobs, leaving a stable and therefore better coaching staff, especially considering the fact that we a lot of grads in coaching.

Aaron Glenn is an excellent coach, no doubt. Would be a home run hire IMO. He just isn't a realistic option for us. And he has no logical reason to leave his situation in the NFL. And likewise, successful NFL coaches don't make moves down to college ball unless it's a huge increase in money & coaching autonomy.
Meximan
maxnow21 said:

rudder2020 said:

Aaron Glenn is an excellent coach, no doubt. Would be a home run hire IMO. He just isn't a realistic option for us. And he has no logical reason to leave his situation in the NFL. And likewise, successful NFL coaches don't make moves down to college ball unless it's a huge increase in money & coaching autonomy.
This is what I was getting at with my post. NFL coaches don't ordinarily go down to the college level; the NFL is perceived to be the highest level, so they don't have an incentive to drop down unless the money is exceedingly too good to ignore. NFL coaches also typically get paid substantially more at the same positions than their college counterparts.
Jack Cheese
AG
Alumnist
Post removed:
by user
LukeDuke
AG
I don't think Glenn would be interested in coaching college ball.

I suspect he'd rather coach and not mess with recruiting.
94chem
I was too young to see Lester Hays in college, but Kevin Smith and Aaron Glenn were the 2 best I ever saw at CB. Glenn could still cover guys better than our current secondary.
TMartin
Will be interesting to see WHO actually makes this hire.
"...alumnist..."

Please tell me you are not in school now. wtf?
AGSWON
AG
I'd like to see Chavis bring in some DB coach that he has worked with in the past and was very successful.
JJxvi
AG
As long as the most important question is not "can he coach" but "is he an aggie" then I'm good with it.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
I'll be glad to have Glenn, but I also want to say that our DB play needs HUGE improvement, so I am pleased to see a change in our DB coach.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
AFDave13
AG
maxnow21 said:

Not a bad hire. Of course I'm still gonna roll my eyes because cliche TexAgs- always wanting to hire Aggies at every job opening, for every position, just they're Aggies. No matter how far fetched or how much of a downgrade it could be. Would be nice for someone on this site to get out of their maroon fantasyland and discuss realistic hires for once though.
So much this. I get the whole Aggie Network thing, but geeze people. It's better to have a winning program (or business) than a 100% all Aggie program (or business).
agforlife97
AG
what we need are players like Aaron Glenn...
selk
AG
AG wants to be an NFL GM one day not sure he'd come to college to coach/recruit but you never know
MaroonStain
AG
Why on Earth would anyone leave a NFL assistant coach gig to do the same in college? Retraded...
InMyOpinion
He would not even consider an offer to come back here as a position coach.

And seriously if you remove the "former Aggie" from his list of qualifications does this thread even exist? I think not
TX AG 88
AG
Dabo Swinney did not attend Clemson. /some TexAgs minds blown
Spyderman
AG
AgCynic2 said:

what we need are players like Aaron Glenn...
Indeed, we need a recruiting beast along with x&o guy.
Amazing Moves
New Orleans defense has steadily lost players in the last 5 year without solid replacements. I wouldn't blame this year's pass d. woes on Glenn.
M-176
AG
Well, if you would consider Glenn why not Patrick Thomas. He has the credentials.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.