Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jake Hubes...2017 starting QB?

7,837 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zooguy96
badharambe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know much about football technique / fundamentals for Qb's, I like Hubenak, and believe he could be successful with an improved o-line (expectant for second year of Jim Turner), a solid RB core (Ford, Trayveon "Tesla" Williams, and the Bus[sey]), receivers that can catch (dear God, please?) and play calling designed for his skills (Mazzone).

Can we discuss his strengths, flaws and why people do not think we should start him next year?

TL;DR: why don't people like Jake Hubes / think he is the solid choice for starter next year?

- Bad Hombre
Matsui
AG
B\c he has shown what he can do already
he will get a shot to play
85AustinAg
AG
This offense seems to be at its best with a dual threat QB (think TK before injury). That's not Hubes...
HoustonAg2106
AG
The player that gives us the best chance to win will start against UCLA. If it's not Hubes then that tells you that one of the freshmen have proven they are better...simple as that.
RDV-1992
If Jake starts I'd look for more short passes & fewer designed QB running plays (like zone read). Hopefully we will mix in some slants along with the bubble screens we will run.
vander54
S
Hubes and most likely Starkel only have a chance if the line blocks better. If the line hasn't improved there is a very good shot Mond will be named the starter. Of course Mond may be that good that he is named the starter anyways.
The Collective
AG
#Pubes4Hubes.

Get it trending, Ags.
Post removed:
by user
KansasCity Ag
Jake is a great kid and good Ag but we've got some serious issues if he is starting. Starkel is my likely pick with Mond as a darkhorse. As good as Mond is advertised, I still don't like the idea of taking a true freshman to the Rose Bowl for his first collegiate start
Spyderman
AG
85AustinAg said:

This offense seems to be at its best with a dual threat QB (think TK before injury). That's not Hubes...
Pioneer
He lit it up at blinn. The kid can play, but needs the right offense.
BrandoC
AG
Nah
W
AG
the Ags are in trouble if Hubenak is starting the opener vs. UCLA. He just doesn't have elite enough skills in each facet of QB play.

as I've posted before...he strikes me as a combination of Farris and Long. Will play just well enough for the Ags to lose a close game in the 4th quarter. We've already seen that 3 times in his 2 years
_mpaul
AG
W said:

the Ags are in trouble if Hubenak is starting the opener vs. UCLA. He just doesn't have elite enough skills in each facet of QB play.
I think that's probably true of each QB on the roster right now, simply because lack of experience.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Quote:

and play calling designed for his skills (Mazzone).

Mazzone doesn't even know who his personel is during the game. He has already said he doesn't care who is in the game. He's just going to call plays.
NyAggie
AG
I'm thinking starkel is going to be the opening day starter, but if we can't muster up a ground game throughout the early part of the season and w have a loss or two, the the coaches will go to mond
Lateralus Ag
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

The player that gives us the best chance to win will start against UCLA. If it's not Hubes then that tells you that one of the freshmen have proven they are better...simple as that.

Proven that they are better to a coach that has proven hes a terrible game manager...
ClassOf17
Pioneer said:

SEC defenses =/= JUCO defenses.
Lateralus Ag
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Pioneer said:

Cam Newton says hello
maxnow21
Lateralus Ag said:

ClassOf17 said:

Pioneer said:

Cam Newton says hello

/TexAgs
Claud
Lateralus Ag said:

ClassOf17 said:

Pioneer said:

Cam Newton says hello

Using Cam Newton in a Hubes topic makes no sense at all.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Proven that they are better to a coach that has proven hes a terrible game manager...

I'm not sure what your point is, I'm just saying Sumlin will play the best player...like he did with Manziel even though none of us knew what he could do
Ag4coal
Mr.NiceGuy said:

Quote:

Mazzone doesn't even know who his personel is during the game. He has already said he doesn't care who is in the game. He's just going to call plays.

Did I miss him saying that? I mean, it would explain a lot. I just never saw that posted.
OrygunAg
AG
Ag4coal said:

Mr.NiceGuy said:

Quote:

Did I miss him saying that? I mean, it would explain a lot. I just never saw that posted.

Yes he said it during presser one time, responding to questions because he seemingly took a hot rb and swapped with cold one. I think he calls for packages and it is up to positional coaches to provide the horses. Seems sort of obvious that as a positing coach you go with whoever is hot
AggieTFA06
AG
No Hubes as starter. Hubes couldn't lead us to a win over either of the Mississippi schools.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
good nuggets
AG
Will protest and take a knee during the game if this happens
texancanuck11
badharambe said:

play calling designed for his skills (Mazzone).

I don't know if you watched last year, but Mazzone's offense needs a QB who can run. Hubes is not a runner.
TexasAggie_97
AG
texancanuck11 said:

badharambe said:

play calling designed for his skills (Mazzone).

I don't know if you watched last year, but Mazzone's offense needs a QB who can run. Hubes is not a runner.
If he is either unwilling or unable to mold his offense around the talents of his QB then we have the wrong guy as OC. If he can only be successful with a running QB then what will we do when we play SEC teams that can stop the QB run?
Gigem713
You nay-sayers forget what Hubes has done for us. He stepped up when we didn't have a QB for the last 2 seasons. He never once complained that he wasn't named starter when the prior starter came back. He epitomizes what an Aggie should be: do your best, don't complain, team player. It's high time this was recognized.
Meximan
Mazzone has used QBs of both types before. He tailored the offense from what he used to do to an option heavy offense to suit Knight. I expect him to utterly confound and confuse Texags when he debuts a rollout heavy pocket movement offense next year (he doesn't have option QBs on the roster anymore; if I can see that, he can see it).
Meximan
PS I presume he didn't change the offense when Knight went down out of a fear of having to reteach players midseason, particularly with so many young players at key positions.
Ulrich
Retooling between seasons is way different than during the season.

Imo Hubenak is stronger at going through progressions and making accurate throws. If our OL improves to the point where we can run effectively without the zone read, we don't need a burner at QB. At that point, if our QB can identify and attack blitzes with the passing game our offense gets better even if he's a slower guy. But it all comes back to having a strong OL... as football always does.
Pioneer
Need to use him as Kiffin did Jalen. Establish the run with a much improved o-line, simplify the passing game, i.e. get the ball to Kirk. Of course this goes for all our qb's next year.
Nashvegas
AG
Mr.NiceGuy said:

Quote:

That's part of the Mazzone plan. He wants to develop system QBs, so it doesn't matter who the starter is.
Just have to manage one handoff, a bubble screen, and a sideways pass. Then you're off the field.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.