Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Something's Really Wrong

12,434 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Houstonag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Each sport stands on its own. No cross over except on discipline, academics, etc. AD must be effective and setting standards, and expectations. Tired of going to events and everybody smiles, drinks the beverages, and hors d'oeuvres of some Ag who pays for it.

Clearly football has multiple problems and discipline is one. Suspensions are generally not acceptable and if we have bad behavior just let them go. KS handling of bad boys has backfired.

Winners and champions pay attention to details. It starts with leadership and shows up in recruiting. That is key. I always wonder why our golf just cannot get there except for one championship. Women's BB, softball, etc. Why cannot we recruit????

terata
AG
Dirty8thirtyAg, I'm surprised no one has called you out for your post, I'm not, but it is surprising what some can get away with and others are "burned at the stake" for.
Ag4coal
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Ag4coal said:

Baseball has been consistent. I know the post seaso losses can be painful, but baseball is such a weird sport. Especially at the college level. That's why the pros play 7 game series. Any team can go win one or two games. But over a real series, the best team will win

Basketball is making big moves. We lost 3 (maybe 4) starters from last years squad. That'll hurt. But we had a solid recruiting class and another one coming up. They're record has improved every year. That's a good trajectory, unlike football. This year may be down, but it's on the right track. In college, there will always be an off year. If there is no improvement next year, then maybe it's time to make a change.

Football is the only truly stagnant one. The second half collapses and the lack of fight/passion is truly disturbing from a fan perspective.

Last year WAS the off year for Kennedy. He is a terrible coach that has been kept around because of an illness he has. He has shown us that he can have one good year out of every six so far. Dude is a bum.

So a team that consistently get more wins every single year and has their most wins in their most recent year had an "off year". Color me confused.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
He will have made the tournament 1 out of 6 seasons after this year. That doesn't cut it. The goal should at least be the NCAA tourney, every year.

If he were a salesman for your company and didn't meet his goals 5 out of 6 years, would you keep him around?
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

No WIN AT ALL COST attitude
What does this even mean? Does this mean you fire every coach after every loss? Does the AD need to be at every practice and film session so the coaches are "winning?"
usmcbrooks
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Ag4coal said:

Baseball has been consistent. I know the post seaso losses can be painful, but baseball is such a weird sport. Especially at the college level. That's why the pros play 7 game series. Any team can go win one or two games. But over a real series, the best team will win

Basketball is making big moves. We lost 3 (maybe 4) starters from last years squad. That'll hurt. But we had a solid recruiting class and another one coming up. They're record has improved every year. That's a good trajectory, unlike football. This year may be down, but it's on the right track. In college, there will always be an off year. If there is no improvement next year, then maybe it's time to make a change.

Football is the only truly stagnant one. The second half collapses and the lack of fight/passion is truly disturbing from a fan perspective.

Last year WAS the off year for Kennedy. He is a terrible coach that has been kept around because of an illness he has. He has shown us that he can have one good year out of every six so far. Dude is a bum.

agnerd
AG
Our athletics BUDGET was 15th in the country, 7th in the SEC for 2014-2015:
NCAA finances

Our Director's cup rank was 17th in the country, 5th in the SEC. for 2014-2015
Director's Cup

So we are performing at a level about equal to our expenditures. And if you look at 2016, we're over-performing our expenditures.

We'd have to increase our budget by 22% to be #1 in the SEC, 59% to be #1 in the nation. That's 59% more you'd have to spend on every ticket, every donation, every concessions soft drink and every parking fee. That $26 chicken wrap just went up to $41!

I'm not willing to pay that much extra so OP is going to have to cover my difference plus his difference. AND EVEN THEN, we would still have years like the sips have had over the last 5 years in football. All the money can't buy success all the time in all sports.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Childress is a good to very good coach who has a nervous breakdown every June.
Sumlin is a thoroughly mediocre coach.
Kennedy is a legitimately bad coach who rode an incredible lucky streak to his success last year.

Mostly agree.

Childress is a very good builder, but bad finisher. Some coaches just choke under pressure:

-The baseball coach at FSU
-Buck Showalter
-Bill Snyder
-Mark Richt
-Marty Schottenheimer
-Dan Reeves
-Wade Phillips
-RC Slocum probably deserves mention, he was a master of losing close games to inferior teams
Deputy Travis Junior
Win total by itself isn't a critical stat. Opponent quality is hugely important. If you take that into account, there was no improvement from years 1-3 (go look at rpi and kenpom rankings). What you saw in the win total was us moving from the very hard big 12 in year 1 to the weaker SEC + a horrific non-conference in year 3.

The improvement started in year 4 when Stansbury arrived, and now that he's gone our fundamentals are one again going down the tube.

I know we're weak at PG, but a team with Davis, Williams, Gilder, and Hogg shouldn't miss the tournament, and they sure as hell shouldn't mood the NIT, which we're currently on track to do.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

No WIN AT ALL COST attitude
What does this even mean? Does this mean you fire every coach after every loss? Does the AD need to be at every practice and film session so the coaches are "winning?"

Pretty sure it means be Art Briles.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.