Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

cowboy fans consoling themselves that they didn't achieve their ultimate goal by...

6,580 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ag_derp
Just Tired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...saying "but the future is bright" remind me of me in 2012. the future seldom turns out as good as you hope it will. best to maximize the "now".
bigcat22
AG
As a die hard Aggie and DFW fan, this is sadly true. Cowboys, Rangers, post 2011 Mavs... so many sports crys
FW Declerk
Future isn't bright as long Jason garret is the head coach
WGann3
AG
JT said:

...saying "but the future is bright" remind me of me in 2012. the future seldom turns out as good as you hope it will. best to maximize the "now".
And non-cowboy fans are consoling themselves by saying the future rarely turns out as good as hope it will because they realize what a ridiculously good, young offensive foundation the Cowboys have built.

I'm assuming you're talking about A&M's 2012 and I would argue that college and the NFL are completely different in so many ways... In college you only have a few years of eligibility with your stars and in the NFL it's more about salary cap and durability issues.

I do agree with you that you really need to seize the opportunity when it's there though, I think that's sort of obvious because you really don't know what might happen in the future. A meteor could be the reason the Cowboys don't win it all next year for all I know.
chipotle
Future is bright = Next year
Deadwood
AG
FW Declerk said:

Future isn't bright as long Jason garret is the head coach
I'm starting to buy into the theory that after several years at the helm, a coach is what he is. Coaches who have had numerous mediocre seasons don't all of a sudden become perennial contender coaches. It just doesn't happen. Sure, they can have good seasons and outliers, but clearly there are coaches out there who do it consistently and seem to be in contention virtually every year.
The Collective
AG
Unfortunately, Garrett seems to be part of the Jones family at this point.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Future is bright. Yep, heard that before.

I am not a Cowboys fan. Don't really hate them but I do enjoy ribbing the Cowboys fans I know. But I think that the future is bright statement is probably quite true with regard to that team. I am looking at what they have built on the offensive line. When you have such a dominant line, you almost can't help but be good. Dak may very well be as awesome as he looked as a rookie. Elliot looks like he can be great. So yeah, I'd say that their future is bright.
AG
AFR because Callahan Bright?
Just Tired
i am a cowboys fan and bigcat also brought back a little pain as i thought about nellie cruz not making the catch at the wall to end the world series....but the ags inflict an order of magnitude more pain for me than the pro teams do. but hey, life is pain, highness. anybody who says differently is selling something.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I've heard a lot of people say in respect to Dak and Zeke being so good this year that, "Well, anyone could look that good behind that line."

But the Cowboys basically had the same line as last year, and won 9 more games this season. So obviously, not ANYONE could win behind that line.

The interesting thing to think about is that if Kellen Moore doesn't break his leg in pre-season, Dak probably doesn't even get the opportunity to play until week 5 or 6.
Just Tired
4 said:

afr because...

unfulfilled promise
ultimate championship remains out of reach even in best season
and "wait til next year"
Meximan
JT said:

but hey, life is pain, highness. anybody who says differently is selling something.

Unless you're a Bammer, Patriot, or a Kardashian. Then you're just spoiled rotten and don't know what pain is.
Ag4coal
I don't know how anyone could watch that team and disagree. Dak is a great leader so far. Zeke is a beast. That line is absolutely disgusting. If the DL would stop getting popped on drug tests, they're probably still playing. They're one amazing catch away from OT. They went down 18 and fought back to make it a hell of a game. They definitely seemed bought in to what Garrett is doing (12 and 13 win seasons in 3 years is impressive). If they can use the draft/FA to solidify their defense, they will be very scary next year.
TXAggie2011
AG
NFL /=/ NCAA
TXAggie2011
AG
And what was the "unfilulfilled promise" of the 2016 Dallas Cowboys?
TyHolden
AG
You're crazy if you don't think the Cowboys have a bright future. They were led by 2 rookies, a young offensive line, and a couple of nobodies on defense. Their future is as bright as anybody's in the NFL. Vegas will have them top 3 for super bowl next season.
Just Tired
TXAggie2011 said:

really??? assuming you meant "unfulfilled", the #1 seed doesn't win a playoff game and that's not unfulfilled promise? if that doesn't strike you as a lost opportunity, then the last 20 years of jerrah have conditioned you.

and i agree the cowboys future looks good on paper...but just last year they went 4-12...look at carolina and the cards this year.

this wasn't meant to be a cowboys-bashing post anyway...just recalling a time 4 years ago that if you had told me #wrts would result in 3 unranked years in a row for the ags, i'd have say you were crazy.
CoolAggie
AG
There's nothing guaranteed in football but in terms of hope for the future:
having a young dynamic duo plus one of the best OL in football for several years> having JFF for just one more year.
TyHolden
AG
Dak's first year is eerily similar to Russell Wilson's first year. Cowboys really are a couple decent defensive players away from dominating for several years. And they may already have a first rounder sitting on the sidelines right now in smith.
PooDoo
AG
chipotle said:

Future is bright = Next year
Future is bright = Dak and Romo are better QB's than the Texans have ever had... ever.
Dallasag02
AG
I remember Rangers fans saying we'll be back after the 2011 series. It's just so hard to climb the mountain in any sport. It just makes what Saban has done that much more impressive.
fightinag
TexasAggie_97
AG
You could easily say a team that went 4-12 last year and started a rookie QB and RB this year and had the NFC's best record over achieved this year. If they can shore up the defensive line and maybe add a better deep threat receiver they should be contenders for years to come. It sucks to have lost the other night but come on they went toe to toe with one of the best QB's ever.
TXAggie2011
AG
JT said:

TXAggie2011 said:

really??? assuming you meant "unfulfilled", the #1 seed doesn't win a playoff game and that's not unfulfilled promise? if that doesn't strike you as a lost opportunity, then the last 20 years of jerrah have conditioned you.

and i agree the cowboys future looks good on paper...but just last year they went 4-12...look at carolina and the cards this year.

this wasn't meant to be a cowboys-bashing post anyway...just recalling a time 4 years ago that if you had told me #wrts would result in 3 unranked years in a row for the ags, i'd have say you were crazy.

Going 13-3 and getting the #1 seed was their own, unexpected, over-achieving doing. They lost an instant classic to a Hall of Fame quarterback and the hottest team in the league.

It was very disappointing, but it's hard to say they left an unfulfilled promise when even a few weeks into the regular season no one expected them to be hosting a divisional round playoff game, yet alone win it.

A&M's unfulfilled promise is recruiting hotshots and then having some expectations, starting well, and then completely pissing away the regular season. Repeatedly.
Bodhi
AG
JT said:

The best players aren't leaving anytime soon
Lateralus Ag
AG
Y'all know I am no Cowgirl fan, but the future is bright for the Cowboys.
Bodhi
AG
JT said:

4 said:

afr because...

unfulfilled promise
ultimate championship remains out of reach even in best season
and "wait til next year"
Dak will be the QB for the next decade
Zeke at least another 4 years
Dez another 4
Witten until he wants to retire
They gonna pay the O line

Johnny played 13 more games total after the magical season
CapCityAg89
AG
FW Declerk said:

Future isn't bright as long Jerruh is the GM

FIFY
94chem
Quote:

post 2011 Mavs
Hard for me to mourn that one too much. That was a fun, magical ride. The Rangers that fall...I don't know if I'll ever recover fully from that.
Bobaloo
If Dak can overcome Jerry then he might go down as the greatest player in NFL history. The quickest path to Cowboys hope is the quick and untimely death of Jerry. Let us hope for the best...
Street_Cred_Norm
Three weeks off pretty much killed them. With the schedule next year, I doubt they get the number one or two seed and that's a good thing. It took them almost two quarters to get going. Hopefully they learn from that and just go full throttle all 16 games. The better team did not win that game.
aggiesq
AG
Dan Marino says hello
ag_derp
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

Three weeks off pretty much killed them. With the schedule next year, I doubt they get the number one or two seed and that's a good thing. It took them almost two quarters to get going. Hopefully they learn from that and just go full throttle all 16 games. The better team did not win that game.
the better team doesnt start off slow
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.