Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Our schedule is looming large for 2017...

17,721 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BrandoC
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You don't like our chances with Mond/Starkel in what you witnessed in the last three years?

Do you think Starkel or Mond will get kicked off the team?

Do you think Mond or Starkel will do no better than a 53% on their passing?

Do you think between those two the locker room gets turned upside down?
Deputy Travis Junior
If you're optimistic about our qb situation next year you're huffing paint. Hubes, Starkel, and a true fish is not a good pool to draw from, especially as our OL still isn't very good.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Nope. Not even close.
Lateralus Ag
AG
C Loves L said:

You don't like our chances with Mond/Starkel in what you witnessed in the last three years?

With 18-22 year old kids, your first question is always in play.

Trevor was a grad transfer with a ton of experience. Do I think it is possible for a freshman or RS freshman to do worse? Yes.

Again, with 18-22 year old kids, your last question is always in play.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Lateralus, are you a BMA or have some inside knowledge or is the his pure speculation? And if the decision makers know we won't get to 9 wins why struggle and prolong the inevitable another year? That is called setting a program back which if they have 0 faith in Sumlin is what they are doing.

We can't keep stepping on our dongs and actually be forward looking. You don't sink a season with the amount of money that goes into a program over 1 year that would shock us more than Johnnys first year in the SEC.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Lateralus, are you a BMA or have some inside knowledge or is the his pure speculation? And if the decision makers know we won't get to 9 wins why struggle and prolong the inevitable another year? That is called setting a program back which if they have 0 faith in Sumlin is what they are doing.

We can't keep stepping on our dongs and actually be forward looking. You don't sink a season with the amount of money that goes into a program over 1 year that would shock us more than Johnnys first year in the SEC.

I am an Ag, but nowhere near a BMA. Not even in the ballpark.

I have a source that all of you have access to if you would just pay attention.

It isn't about the money. It is about timing. No one knows how many games can be won this year. Could be 12, could be 5. Plus, and this is my own speculation based on the information I have gathered, it could simply be that Sumlin was told if he won 8 in 16 he would have 17 to win 9. IF that is the case, and that BMA is a man of his word, he is going to give Sumlin 17.

Not to mention, again, this is speculation, I don't think the BMA making this decision wanted to get in a bidding war over a basically unproven coach in Herman. There weren't a ton of coaches out there to choose from...so it becomes a question of timing. You line up your new coach while Sumlin, who is a decent recruiter, closes out a decent class. If he wins 9 this year, he deserves another year. If he doesn't he goes away with his 5 million and the next coach has some players to start with next season.

Not saying I agree, not saying all of this is fact. Not saying I like the next coach I have been told is basically on the way if Sumlin doesn't make the 9 regular season wins.

Just putting together a storyline I have come up with based on what I think is a highly reliable source.

At the end of the day, there are two facts that remain. After 5 years, all indications are that Sumlim won't win the SEC anytime soon. Every coach we hire is going to be a crap shoot to beat Saban on a regular basis and compete in the West.

I am just going to sit back and see what happens, remembering that it is just a game...
HoustonAg2014
AG
I respect your opinion and the info that you heard. I didn't mean to call you out by the way I had just heard from my "source" that knows the texags staff very well and has been on the radio with them before that they would give him 2 years.

Personally o said worst case scenario in 2016 is that we win 8 games and people are split. 7 was going to give him the boot and 9 would probably help dramatically in recruiting. 8 was stagnant but in a year where no coach really emerged 8 may have prevented us from making an impulse desionion that could have been more damaging long term.

Looks like we are playing the game ut did last year. Support the coach and stockpile recruits. Give Sumlin an ultimatum and if he doesn't meet them then cut ties and have good recruits for the next coach. If so we finally got smart assuming a coach does emerge. I know Chad Morris name has been thrown out there but he would have to keep Cheif I think for that to work. As good as Myles was I think our defense in THIS league could be better with pure run stopping DEs.
C Loves L
Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

Trevor was a grad transfer with a ton of experience. Do I think it is possible for a freshman or RS freshman to do worse? Yes.

Just answer this question. What do you think our chances of our QB pool falling into the same trend as the last three years? Kicked off team, locker room cancer and a 53% completion...
Lateralus Ag
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I respect your opinion and the info that you heard. I didn't mean to call you out by the way I had just heard from my "source" that knows the texags staff very well and has been on the radio with them before that they would give him 2 years.

Personally o said worst case scenario in 2016 is that we win 8 games and people are split. 7 was going to give him the boot and 9 would probably help dramatically in recruiting. 8 was stagnant but in a year where no coach really emerged 8 may have prevented us from making an impulse desionion that could have been more damaging long term.

Looks like we are playing the game ut did last year. Support the coach and stockpile recruits. Give Sumlin an ultimatum and if he doesn't meet them then cut ties and have good recruits for the next coach. If so we finally got smart assuming a coach does emerge. I know Chad Morris name has been thrown out there but he would have to keep Cheif I think for that to work. As good as Myles was I think our defense in THIS league could be better with pure run stopping DEs.

I agree with you pretty much across the board. I didn't take what you said as calling me out.
Lateralus Ag
AG
C Loves L said:

Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

Just answer this question. What do you think our chances of our QB pool falling into the same trend as the last three years? Kicked off team, locker room cancer and a 53% completion...

To answer your original question, no. I don't like our chances with a freshman or a RS freshman starting.

Just because the qb position isn't the train wreck it has been for three straight seasons doesn't mean it will be good.

To answer your last question, no. I don't think it is very likely that whomever starts next year will get kicked off the team, divide the locker room, and only complete 53% of passes. However, see above. Just because it isn't a total clown show doesn't mean I have much confidence that it will be good to have a true freshman or a res shirt freshman starting.
Pylon Cam
AG
It looks less intimidating than it did last year, in my opinion. It will still be a big challenge, though.
vander54
S
Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

To answer your original question, no. I don't like our chances with a freshman or a RS freshman starting.

Just because the qb position isn't the train wreck it has been for three straight seasons doesn't mean it will be good.

To answer your last question, no. I don't think it is very likely that whomever starts next year will get kicked off the team, divide the locker room, and only complete 53% of passes. However, see above. Just because it isn't a total clown show doesn't mean I have much confidence that it will be good to have a true freshman or a res shirt freshman starting.

I think Hubes most likely starts but Starkel is right behind him. Mond will only start if our line sucks again next year. Which I don't think it will be. I hope I'm right.
twk
AG
Quote:

Not to mention, again, this is speculation, I don't think the BMA making this decision wanted to get in a bidding war over a basically unproven coach in Herman. There weren't a ton of coaches out there to choose from...so it becomes a question of timing. You line up your new coach while Sumlin, who is a decent recruiter, closes out a decent class. If he wins 9 this year, he deserves another year. If he doesn't he goes away with his 5 million and the next coach has some players to start with next season.
If Sumlin is fired at the end of next year, we'll owe him $10 million. It would be $5 million only after 2018.
Lateralus Ag
AG
twk said:

Quote:

If Sumlin is fired at the end of next year, we'll owe him $10 million. It would be $5 million only after 2018.

Fair point. I just meant for the next year. But yes, 10 million. Good catch.
C Loves L
Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

Lateralus Ag said:

C Loves L said:

To answer your last question, no. I don't think it is very likely that whomever starts next year will get kicked off the team, divide the locker room, and only complete 53% of passes

Good to know. Eliminating those things will be nice for the offense and defense
AGGies0311
Loss at UCLA prompts Sumlin being fired! Start the dumpster fire!.
trm94
AG
Everybody said Sumlin was safe this year, and then the annual slide occurred. He was on thin ice yet again. Looking at the schedule next year I see four guaranteed losses in Bama, LSU, Florida, and Auburn. Two more likely in MSU, and OM. Truth be told, he probably won't win more than seven. That won't be enough from the sources I have - same ones that I have been sharing information on these past few years about what the sips would do. I'm very confident.

We hire our Herman next year, but Sumlin will get a chance to fight for his job. He "earned" that this year. Though I disagree with the timing once again. Our BMA's weren't going to get in a bidding war for Herman with the sips. Lose that every single time.
VA_Ag94
AG
Another 5-0 Start only to have the wheels come off after Bama... can't wait!
Lateralus Ag
AG
trm94 said:

Everybody said Sumlin was safe this year, and then the annual slide occurred. He was on thin ice yet again. Looking at the schedule next year I see four guaranteed losses in Bama, LSU, Florida, and Auburn. Two more likely in MSU, and OM. Truth be told, he probably won't win more than seven. That won't be enough from the sources I have - same ones that I have been sharing information on these past few years about what the sips would do. I'm very confident.

We hire our Herman next year, but Sumlin will get a chance to fight for his job. He "earned" that this year. Though I disagree with the timing once again. Our BMA's weren't going to get in a bidding war for Herman with the sips. Lose that every single time.

You pretty much re-ordered the words in my post.
trm94
AG
Then I would say we are on the same page - didn't read your post. Just saw the topic and chimed in
Lateralus Ag
AG
trm94 said:

Then I would say we are on the same page - didn't read your post. Just saw the topic and chimed in

And I would agree.
BrandoC
AG
I wish we would freaking make Alabama our first conference game of the year!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.