Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chance Murphy. Kyle football announcer

13,274 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by phatpat21
Yell Practice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Good afternoon football fans and welcome to Kyle Field, home of the fighting Texas Aggies"

There was no one who could say that like C.K. Bless Him.
McInnis80
Yes, like the Dodgers are "replacing" Vin Scully.
Yell Practice
One of the funniest stories I ever heard about CK Esten was when a highway patrol pulled him over and recognized him as the voice of Kyle ..
BoerneGator
AG
Yell Practice said:

"Good afternoon football fans and welcome to Kyle Field, home of the fighting Texas Aggies"

There was no one who could say that like C.K. Bless Him.
Quote:

The last memorable PA announcer I heard was the late Bob Sheppard at Yankee Stadium.
I seem to remember CK was from Brooklyn. His and Sheppard's voices were very similar.

I recall the story about CK wherein he allegedly uttered into an "open mic" (but he didn't realize it was open), directed to the students during a break in the action, "wildcat you bastuds"! He was a legend.
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo
AG
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64296575
Jim Benson 63
AG
Back in the fifties, he would say: "In the Aggie backfield, Osborne, Taylor, Crow and Pahhhhdee."

He was a great announcer and a nice guy with a sense of humor.

He taught my Shakespearean Literature class.
BoerneGator
AG
Jim Benson 63 said:

Back in the fifties, he would say: "In the Aggie backfield, Osborne, Taylor, Crow and Pahhhhdee."

He was a great announcer and a nice guy with a sense of humor.

He taught my Shakespearean Literature class.
I loved the way he pronounced Gary Kovaaaah (Kovar) and Ray Kubalaaaaaah (Kubala)
Yell Practice
He had a unique accent he could turn on and off. .
Yell Practice
He was probably from Brooklyn. I know he grew up in the East.
jja79
AG
Providence, RI.
dcbowers
AG
I grew up listening to Roger Feldman. Always my favorite. Announcer at A&M football (1977 - 2000), basketball and countless graduations. Dr. Feldman called out my name when I graduated.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yell Practice
Providence, RI.

I think that is correct.
abat51
AG
Aggies of the last 4 or 5 decades have missed a truly unique experience...C.K.Esten was the best Kyle Field announcer eve.
Gig'em... abat51...
The Original AG 76
AG
" Ed Siiiiimonniiiiiiiniii"
Yell Practice
Aggies of the last 4 or 5 decades have missed a truly unique experience...C.K.Esten was the best Kyle Field announcer ever.

Absolutely --
Yell Practice
Perhaps Murphy would reconsider ???
AgDotCom
Mr. (or Dr.) Esten's wife was my 4th grade English teacher at South Knoll.

I thought he was from Massachusetts with that Boston-ish accent of his, but I guess Providence, RI is close enough.

It's a crying shame that the younger generations never got to experience him addressing the crowd. C.K. was the very definition of "less is more". He didn't speak very much, he didn't interfere in what was happening in front of you. But I and the other 50,000 people there found ourselves hanging on the edge for the next words out of his mouth, just waiting for what was coming next.

When was the last time, if ever, you couldn't wait to hear the PA announcer? Think about that. Never have I heard one more colorful or profound. His words were few, but each one of them weighed a ton.
Jock 07
AG
JMR_2016 said:

Quote:

Trying to think back in time....is Murphy only the third PA announcer at Kyle over the past 50 years?

- C.K. Esten
- Roger Feldman
- (anyone else ?)
- Chace Murphy

Who's next? In case I missed it.
From what he says in this video, I'd guess that he took over from Roger Feldman.

Wow, he's lost a ton of weight
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
agneck said:

Really like his voice and personality. Sorry to hear he quit. Wish he would have taken over for Dave South.

Chace has a real job with a major company and has had for many years.

Probably decided to free his life up for family, etc

BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

Quote:

It's a crying shame that the younger generations never got to experience him addressing the crowd. C.K. was the very definition of "less is more". He didn't speak very much, he didn't interfere in what was happening in front of you.

PJYoung
AG
pepe the dog said:

agneck said:

Really like his voice and personality. Sorry to hear he quit. Wish he would have taken over for Dave South.

Chace has a real job with a major company and has had for many years.

Probably decided to free his life up for family, etc

His tenure isn't exactly associated with on field success (save for 2012). Maybe it weighed on him like it does most season ticket holders.
EKG1996
AG
Thought he did a good job. Hope all is well with his health.

Any news on who will replace him at Kyle?
NCAG
AG
My favorite was 'Beeaann on the carry'. Grew up on Kyle Field in the 70's sneaking in via the RV parking log behind the south end zone. Only announced what was needed.

NCAG '88 ESL / IYACYAS
Post removed:
by user
85AustinAg
AG
Audio | Texas A&M University Libraries - Search

Current students. You should be able to login to the University Library system and do an audio search of the library. Would someone have a look and see if there are any audio recordings of CK that can be shared? It would make some of us olds day even better!
GoneGirl
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It borders on a little creepy when some of you have such an opinion about a man based on his voice only.
Seems like most critics acknowledged he was a super nice guy. But their comments were based on his announcing -- not him personally.
I've known him for many years, and yes, he really is a super nice guy.
eloc62
NCAG said:

My favorite was 'Beeaann on the carry'. Grew up on Kyle Field in the 70's sneaking in via the RV parking log behind the south end zone. Only announced what was needed.

Me too, NCAG. Me and my friends snuck into every game from the south end zone under the fence. it really wasn't that hard back in the 70's. we used to sit in the spaces under the overhangs. you couldn't see the ball flight on punts or kickoff's, but if you sat in those places, you know what i am talking about.
phatpat21
Yo Gabe, you going to land this dig?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.