Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Spav to West Virginia

6,698 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2thFixinAg
ChuckAggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/coaching-rumors-former-texas-oc-jake-spavital-headed-west-virginia
W
AG
fired twice in 2 years now
Vepp
W said:

Yet high profile schools keep hiring him. Apparently Cal fans liked him immensely but I think that is primarily because of spavs work with Texas Tech tranfer Davis Webb.
aggiehawg
AG
W said:

Holgy likely would have hired Spav last year if he could. But he was in a war with Gordon Gee, was in the last year of his contract and had hired Joe Wickline as OC. (Hiring an OC was Gee's mandate.)

Now, Holgy has his contract extension, more security and could bring in Spav and demote Wickline to OL coach. (Holgy and Wickline worked together at Okie Lite and has history with Spav as well.) I actually think Spav will benefit greatly from working with him and the Big XII is a better fit for Spav.
vander54
S
I always thought of Spavital as a Big 12 style coach. I fully expect him to thrive there.
biobioprof
W said:

He wasn't fired this time. And offense isn't why Cal fired Dykes.
W
AG
when you are not retained by the new coaching staff = firing (just in a nicer way).

see Herman and all of Strong's assistants
BMX Bandit
Has new coach been officially hired?
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

At Cal?? Justin Wilcox is reported to be the hire.
FishingAggie
That's a great place for him. He will learn a lot and excel with Dana. Fell into place for him
Olsen
AG
Spav is back with Dana at West Virginia.
biobioprof
W said:

when you are not retained by the new coaching staff = firing (just in a nicer way).

From what I saw, Spavital bolted before Wilcox was signed. Sure, he was playing the odds of not being retained, but it's an upgrade for Spavital to go to work with old friends at a school that is arguably in better shape than Cal. As opposed to waiting to see what might happen with someone who isn't from the same offensive philosophy who he doesn't know so well, at a school with debt, indifferent fans, and an AD who just canned the guy who hired him.

Doesn't take a genius to jump off that ship.
WTF95
Probabaly making a ton of bank off all his guarantees. Spavital not as stupid as we think. Got index cards will travel.
Meximan
biobioprof said:

W said:

From what I saw, Spavital bolted before Wilcox was signed. Sure, he was playing the odds of not being retained, but it's an upgrade for Spavital to go to work with old friends at a school that is arguably in better shape than Cal. As opposed to waiting to see what might happen with someone who isn't from the same offensive philosophy who he doesn't know so well, at a school with debt, indifferent fans, and an AD who just canned the guy who hired him.

Doesn't take a genius to jump off that ship.
BMX Bandit
aggiehawg said:

BMX Bandit said:

At Cal?? Justin Wilcox is reported to be the hire.

Exactly.

Spav wasn't fired. He may have been soon, but he took another OC job
New coaches very rarely retain top assistants from old staffs that got fired. Odd that you would use that terminology with Spav here.
Mr. Black
vander54 said:

I always thought of Spavital as a Big 12 style coach. I fully expect him to thrive there.
Yep, that's right where he belongs. Sumlin too, for that matter.
eATMup-Reveille
I always maintained that if we couldn't run block, or pass block, it didn't matter what plays were called.
ashley
eATMup-Reveille said:

I always maintained that if we couldn't run block, or pass block, it didn't matter what plays were called.

Take a seat at the front.
cedar
Slav is a good coach and the players loved the guy. He wasn't the problem here. It was is boss now on his fourth oc since he got here.
eAGer
AG
cedar said:

Slav is a good coach and the players loved the guy. He wasn't the problem here. It was is boss now on his fourth oc since he got here.

In fairness, that first one was pretty effing badass though
2thFixinAg
eATMup-Reveille said:

This X10.

The O line couldn't give a QB longer than about 2 seconds to find a receiver and the run game sucked. So what pass routes are even an option. Bubble screens and quick slants. that's it. 10 yard routes were the maximum time a QB had. and often less. His offense tore it up at Cal. Spav took the heat and ended up being another casualty of Sumlin covering his own ass. Good news is I think Sumlin has finally run out of assistant coaches to blame for his failures.

kiss his ass goodbye in 2017.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.