Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mark Hocke is new S&C Coach

23,357 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FightinTAC08
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The truth is somewhere in the middle. In previous classes we haven't been recruiting to the size profile necessary to have success in the SEC. Whereas this 2017 class is bigger across the board, height and weight-wise. Also, whether some on here want to accept it or not, a lot of players haven't developed or bulked up as hoped and S&C is a big part of that.

So if we continue to recruit bigger players like we have in 2017 compared to previous classes, on top of getting better production in S&C, it SHOULD yield better results.
Dunbar
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Hopeful Agg16 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Seems like a very good hire.

On a related note, I don't think this is about Larry Jackson's knowledge as a S&C coach, but rather about how motivated or lack thereof he made the players. The short news I've read up on this guy is that he's a motivator. He served under Scott Cochran of Bama who is an absolute firecracker of a motivator and constantly keeping those guys on their toes. Larry Jackson did not come across as that type of guy at all. He clearly knows what he's doing as he got the highest honor in S&C (http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/football/a-m-s-jackson-receives-strength-and-conditioning-award/article_005d06f0-095d-547a-a941-8dc79074a125.html), but he seems very laid back and soft spoken.

I've seen people saying Sumlin let Jackson go as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies, and I couldn't tell you for sure if that's the case. What I do know is that to be successful in the gauntlet that is the SEC, you got to have these kids competitive at every step, and that includes of course the physical part of S&C. However, as this hire makes clear, the mental and motivational part of S&C is equally as important.

To suggest or imply that Jackson was even partly responsible for our lack of results on the field is disgusting.

Jackson had NFL offers and stayed around only due to his loyalty to his alma mater.

And this is how Ags show their appreciation for him.

Hocke is a good hire but this is a chicken sh** move by a desperate HC.

And if you think this is going to motivate the players, think again. It will have the opposite effect. Players don't respect HCs that throw assistants under the bus.

If this was a new hire for Receivers or DEs then players could understand the move. But that wasn't the case here. S&C wasn't the problem. The problem was that our D was on the field too damn long.

Jackson will get better offers. I wish him the best of luck.

To imply that S&C is not a big deal is disgusting. We consistently have some of the smallest players in the SEC. If you haven't noticed, that **** doesn't fly. Need a guy that focuses on increasing strength AND size while maintaining speed. We have speed and no size.
If we have the smallest guys in the SEC, it's not simply because our strength and condition are bad. Much more of the size of our players is based upon the types of players we are recruiting. A guy that is 6 foot 210 pounds playing LB will always look undersized. And the great majority of the time, if you add 30 pounds to that player's frame, he no longer can play LB because he becomes too slow.

Point being (and I've said this for years) is that size of the players on your team is based more on the types of players you recruit rather than simply your strength and conditioning program. Sure, your strength coach can add strength and size to certain players, but you can't expect Rudy to become Ray Lewis solely due to the strength and conditioning coach.

Exactly! Spot on. Watch this video beginning around 5:30 where Mark Rippatoe talks about S&C programs
Bobaloo
Our trend is to fade after 6 games. I think it is a physical issue. Let us see if this guy makes a difference.
NyAggie
AG
All I know is that watching the NC game the other night, the Bama players all looked jacked up

If hocke learned even a little of how to get players to look like that while he was at Bama then this is going to be a good hire for the program

Just not sure it can have enough impact in just one offseason to make a significant difference
stetson
AG
This thread is a mirror of the Jackson hire thread.
R E L
AG
Strength and conditioning was a problem, and it has been for at least a couple of years. We walked away from the Arkansas game 2 years in a row too beat up to finish the rest of the season. If Jackson did his job better then the post season collapse wouldn't have happened. Maybe Sumlin had a hand in it, maybe he didn't. As far as loyalty to Jackson is concerned, just because someone was in high demand previously doesn't mean you have an obligation to keep them around when they start failing at their job. Every person has the right to demand their market worth each year. If they choose not to take advantage of that, it's their own fault. I know it sounds ****ish, but that is the real world.
Maroon Flash
AG
All Aggies like Larry Jackson as well as Dat Nguyen. A problem with coaching at your alma mater is that it doesn't void the old standard that coaches are hired to be fired.
Hopeful Agg16
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Hopeful Agg16 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Tamu_mgm said:

On a related note, I don't think this is about Larry Jackson's knowledge as a S&C coach, but rather about how motivated or lack thereof he made the players. The short news I've read up on this guy is that he's a motivator. He served under Scott Cochran of Bama who is an absolute firecracker of a motivator and constantly keeping those guys on their toes. Larry Jackson did not come across as that type of guy at all. He clearly knows what he's doing as he got the highest honor in S&C (http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/football/a-m-s-jackson-receives-strength-and-conditioning-award/article_005d06f0-095d-547a-a941-8dc79074a125.html), but he seems very laid back and soft spoken.

I've seen people saying Sumlin let Jackson go as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies, and I couldn't tell you for sure if that's the case. What I do know is that to be successful in the gauntlet that is the SEC, you got to have these kids competitive at every step, and that includes of course the physical part of S&C. However, as this hire makes clear, the mental and motivational part of S&C is equally as important.

To suggest or imply that Jackson was even partly responsible for our lack of results on the field is disgusting.

Jackson had NFL offers and stayed around only due to his loyalty to his alma mater.

And if you think this is going to motivate the players, think again. It will have the opposite effect. Players don't respect HCs that throw assistants under the bus.

If this was a new hire for Receivers or DEs then players could understand the move. But that wasn't the case here. S&C wasn't the problem. The problem was that our D was on the field too damn long.

To imply that S&C is not a big deal is disgusting. We consistently have some of the smallest players in the SEC. If you haven't noticed, that **** doesn't fly. Need a guy that focuses on increasing strength AND size while maintaining speed. We have speed and no size.
If we have the smallest guys in the SEC, it's not simply because our strength and condition are bad. Much more of the size of our players is based upon the types of players we are recruiting. A guy that is 6 foot 210 pounds playing LB will always look undersized. And the great majority of the time, if you add 30 pounds to that player's frame, he no longer can play LB because he becomes too slow.

Point being (and I've said this for years) is that size of the players on your team is based more on the types of players you recruit rather than simply your strength and conditioning program. Sure, your strength coach can add strength and size to certain players, but you can't expect Rudy to become Ray Lewis solely due to the strength and conditioning coach.

First off, nobody is saying gain 30 lbs. That type of weight gain is usually not feasible (in most players) considering calories burned during practice, games etc. S&C has evolved by leaps and bounds over the years. These kids can easily gain significant size while maintaining speed with proper conditioning and nutrition.

I agree that the type of players you recruit make an obvious difference, however, what use are they when their bodies break down mid season?
RDV-1992
Hopeful Agg16 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Those small players are almost all young players that should be red shirting or playing Special teams. Look at Shaun Washington, Myles Garrett, Dae Dae, Reggie Chevis, others. Those guys are older and look the part. If we could let these kids develop versus throwing them in too early they wouldn't be getting pushed around so much. Those young guys that aren't strong enough also have a tendency to get hurt. When they are hurt they can't work out as hard, have to rehab, etc.

TL/DR: Depth/older players will help S&C.
claym711
AG
This idea that a S&C prog that worked in conference USA would work is the SEC was a miserably failed experiment that didn't show up in season 1&2 for one reason alone. It wasn't long after he left that we altered the program.

Jackson had these guys getting their asses kicked by inferior opponents in the second half of the season for 3 years in a row. Scapegoat? Maybe, but Jackson failed at his job.
TXAggie4Christ
AG
Saw him at the BK game Wed night......good to see him getting involved right away.

I think it's a strong hire.
AggieDruggist89
AG
hunter2012
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

AggieDruggist89
AG
hunter2012 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Point being...you're missing the point..

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1287589
Hu11abaloo
AG
Almost everyone in this thread playing armchair QB without credible insight to how "responsible" Jackson was for our results on the field.
Bob Harris
I hope we pay him enough to buy a suit...
Old Animal
AG
Will wait and see.... everyone else has been fired except for the grounds keeping crew.... I don't think S & C is the issue for the meltdowns every season. I think a good mirror is needed. Jackson has been doing this awhile, you don't stay at this level unless you are good. Wish Hocke well. This move was also made under Sherman I believe, because the team was out of shape and couldn't hang with teams in the fourth quarter as well ?.....
BrandoC
AG
When you flat out stop strength training altogether once the season starts you might not necessarily know what your doing, but pretty close to it.
jenks
AG
it's despicable the way dismissal of Jackson was handled. I can't shake the sick feeling. What does this say about our current leadership?
cevans_40
AG
jenks said:

it's despicable the way dismissal of Jackson was handled. I can't shake the sick feeling. What does this say about our current leadership?

Care to elaborate on what was so despicable
aggiepaintrain
AG
Is LJ gone from campus?

He didn't recruit 6' LBs.

vander54
S
cevans_40 said:

jenks said:

I think this is said everything we fire a coach.
bigfoot10s
AG
BrandoC said:

When you flat out stop strength training altogether once the season starts you might not necessarily know what your doing, but pretty close to it.

Do you have knowledge of the situation that this actually happened?
TxAg76
AG
vander54 said:

cevans_40 said:

jenks said:

Sumlin hasn't said anything to LJ other than "we're letting you go", pretty much.
No details or specifics.
Buddy of mine went to high school w LJ, and they still talk.
BrandoC
AG
jenks
AG
TxAg76 said:

vander54 said:

cevans_40 said:

jenks said:

Sumlin hasn't said anything to LJ other than "we're letting you go", pretty much.
No details or specifics.
Buddy of mine went to high school w LJ, and they still talk.
Thank you! This says it all. Larry is a classy guy and people need an explanation when they are dismissed,

Aside from the dismissal, the chairs are being rearranged on the Titanic deck.
Hot Boudin
Hocke is a good hire for you guys. He is a young energetic guy who will employ some new school philosophies and techniques. He has learned at some good places and will do well there. If I were an Aggie, I would be happy with this hire.

The Collective
AG
What else would Sumlin say to LJ? He needs a sacrificial lamb... no more, no less. I doubt Sumlin wanted to fire him.

I'm kind of shocked LJ was the guy who got sacked, considering the fact he's an Aggie. I figured some BMA would protect him.
Tamu_mgm
AG
bigfoot10s said:

BrandoC said:

Do you have knowledge of the situation that this actually happened?
Would like to know this as well? Doesn't make any sense that the team would stop lifting during the season if true.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Hot Boudin said:

Hocke is a good hire for you guys. He is a young energetic guy who will employ some new school philosophies and techniques. He has learned at some good places and will do well there. If I were an Aggie, I would be happy with this hire.

I sincerely hope so, but not so sure on this. "New school" lifting philosophies are the problem in today's S&C. To get the most out of high level athletes (and any athlete for that matter) is to have a lifting program based off of the fundamental exercises that build strength.....which are not sexy but get the job done better than any new school, functional BS.
The Collective
AG
BrandoC said:

The Pulse makes it seem like this is not the case unless they are just pulling preseason lifts as filler.
FightinTAC08
AG
Spirito***gieland said:

gigemJTH12 said:

https://www.theknot.com/us/katherine-freeman-and-mark-hocke-feb-2017/photos/844573
Outkicked the coverage once...

yeah he did.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.