Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

For Those Who are Complaining about our offense...

10,602 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bloodsweat79
Pylon Cam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noel Mazzone is one of the top three offensive coordinators in the SEC, a league that has the best defenses in the country. Our worst offensive moments this year were when our starting QB and left tackle were injured and therefore not playing. The only offense that is definitively better is Kiffin's offense, and Kiffin's offense is loaded with 5 stars.

Mazzone was third in scoring and yards. We are scoring over a touchdown more a game than we did last year. We broke the 400 yard mark in nine games this year and the 500 yard mark four times this year. Also, our offense was more effective against LSU's defense than any other team that LSU played. We scored 39 on LSU. If our defense shows up at all, we win it. Alabama was close, but the talent gap won. This was our best offensive year since Johnny. For having a really inexperienced offensive line and a grad transfer QB under center, these stats are pretty damn good.

Although we were upset at the time of the hire, Sumlin made the best hire he could have made. Mazzone isn't going anywhere so lets support him! Keep up the good work, coach. Gig'em.
millertime40
I respectfully disagree that he is any good, but I will support him, b/c he is what we are stuck with.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I'd read the op if thoughts were separated & not typed as a pretentious wall of text
Pylon Cam
AG
We could have Urban Myer or Nick Saban as our OC and people on Texags would still be complaining. Especially for a guy in his first year in the SEC, you cannot expect him to be perfect. There are ZERO perfect coaches.
Pylon Cam
AG
Done
FriscoKid
AG
rudder2020 said:

We could have Urban Myer or Nick Saban as our OC and people on Texags would still be complaining. Especially for a guy in his first year in the SEC, you cannot expect him to be perfect. There are ZERO perfect coaches.

Who is Urben Myer?
Pylon Cam
AG
It's spelled Urban, like I said...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Meyer
Sea Gull
AG
Led the SEC West in punts
blumpkin
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Led the SEC West in punts
Like a good Conservative Republican would do. Glad to see that West Coast Lib pandering to his new surroundings. He'll do just fine here.
BanderaAg956
Mazzone's first year in the SEC - WRONG!

Scored the most against LSU - after they let up from the blowout and put 2nd and 3rd teamers in!

How many of the 400-500 yard games were against UTSA, PVA&M, and other cupcakes?

When the game is close and we need to control the clock, keep the competitions offense off the field, and make 1st downs... Mazzone failed repeatedly!

Did the defense fail as well-- OH YES! It is a team game, all facets failed under Sumlin!!!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Why do we punt so much? Like, lead the league in punting?
Ag4coal
drevans956 said:

Mazzone's first year in the SEC - WRONG!

Scored the most against LSU - after they let up from the blowout and put 2nd and 3rd teamers in!

How many of the 400-500 yard games were against UTSA, PVA&M, and other cupcakes?

When the game is close and we need to control the clock, keep the competitions offense off the field, and make 1st downs... Mazzone failed repeatedly!

Did the defense fail as well-- OH YES! It is a team game, all facets failed under Sumlin!!!
Class of 65
AG
No imagination whatsoever to his offense.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
For like the 3rd year on the trot people on texags think scoring garbage points when the game has been decided is evidence of a good offense.
Pylon Cam
AG
We are scoring over 7 points more per game than we did last year. Our offense looked great against every team we play except for Bama. We didn't pad our stats in games like UTSA where we only scored 23. Actually, we have not been scoring trash time points due to our lack of a killer instinct. If anything, we could have done even better.
Bunk Moreland
anyone who uses points scored vs. an LSU team that was embarrassing the Ags 34-10 in the 3rd before they stopped trying as evidence to support an argument should not be taken seriously.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

We are scoring over 7 points more per game than we did last year.
we're scoring 14 points a game?!
Pylon Cam
AG
Not true. LSU fans are pissed at how we carved up their defense. They were definitely still trying and Orgeron was still going full speed until the end of the game. Every LSU football fan I know was very disappointed with their defensive showing in that game.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Not true. LSU fans are pissed at how we carved up their defense. They were definitely still trying and Orgeron was still going full speed until the end of the game. Every LSU football fan I know was very disappointed with their defensive showing in that game.
Is true. LSU fans are happy at how we carved up their defense when the game was over. They were definitely still trying and Orgeron was still going full speed until the end of the game. Every LSU football fan I know was very happy with their defensive showing in that game.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
still waiting to hear why our vaunted offense punts so much?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Because we had a pass completion percentage of 50% for the year. That's a knock on Trevor and our receivers. Not much could be done about Trevor, but I think we can all agree it's about time for Moorehead to go.
BrandoC
AG
Swing and screen passes doesn't win championships.
TexasAggiesWin
S
rudder2020 said:

Moral victories... We didn't win the game, but boy are their fans upset about how their defense looked!!!!
BCR
He did pretty good with a QB that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
rondis23
AG
Too many 3 and outs. Too. Many.
phatbeast
AG
I liked how he would have a WR run toward the sideline, catch a pass behind the LoS, and then get tackled for a loss.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

I liked how he would have a WR run toward the sideline, catch a pass behind the LoS, and then get tackled for a loss.
Gotta keep the passing % over 45%
SARATOGA
I find you people amazing who think that changing coordinators like sweat socks is going to solve the problem.

Jim Turner took a HORRENDOUS offensive line situation, and turned it into something that is "almost serviceable" at its best and very bad at its worst.

On the line this year we had very young, not very talented of players. Mazzone and Turner worked very hard to try and get something that resembles an adequate attempt at offense.

Last year: ZERO BLOCKING ON ANY RUN OR PASS PLAY. TOTAL FAILURE

This year: We're better at run blocking than pass blocking, but still depends on effective zone read action and execution. Pass blocking is only going to last 1.5 to 2 seconds at best, so we do a quick pass, or a quick deep chunk to Reynolds on the sidelines. There is no time for deeper routes to develop that take 3 - 4 seconds of quality blocking.

Mazzone and Turner worked very hard with the tools they had..... But you can't ignore offensive line recruiting for 3 years and then wonder why your offense stinks.....
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

you people
txagssweetie2014
Bunk Moreland said:

anyone who uses points scored vs. an LSU team that was embarrassing the Ags 34-10 in the 3rd before they stopped trying as evidence to support an argument should not be taken seriously.

Are you saying our defense stopped trying at halftime?
Waffledynamics
AG
Lol Mazzone is not good.
JPK89
AG
Rule 1 Mrs. Mazzone....
tosull
There's a difference between scoring and scoring when you need to. We can score... but what does it matter if we can't when we're down
JPK89
AG
tosull said:

There's a difference between scoring and scoring when you need to. We can score... but what does it matter if we can't when we're down
This.

LSU knew they were going to score on every possession. Game was over at half..

Correction...game was over after kickoff.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Exactly which games besides lsu did we score touchdowns in garbage time? It was pretty clear Mazzone went to what he thought would work best with an inefficient passing game and an average offensive line. You gotta have the personnel for a system. I guess we all will blame him for 2 elite qb's transferring out and getting behind on the recruiting scene for OL? We did fine given what we had on offense. I thought our offense would suck big time this year and it didn't. That's progress...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.