Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Briles suing Baylor regents and VP

10,852 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DFCStrider
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...for libel and slander saying he had knowledge of the rapes.

Dude either got severely screwed over (1% chance of this) or his hubris and self-deception are even more extreme than I thought.

Either way, I hope Baylor never recovers from this debacle.
Joe Exotic
AG
I hope he loses and burns for enabling the rape of women for wins. Briles is human trash.
BMX Bandit
This will end very badly for Briles.

Aggie_Eric98
AG
They'll reach an out of court settlement as both sides would look horrible.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
OldArmy91 will be by shortly to defend AB's honor.
Tobias Funke
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Briles wouldn't be doing this if he was okay with settling out of court. He wants his name cleared bc he believes this is keeping him from another coaching job.

Seems like a Hail Mary, and it's going to be ugly
blumpkin
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I don't believe that. If there was proof he knew things why would he do this? Career suicide if he comes out looking bad.
vander54
S
blumpkin said:

BMX Bandit said:

I don't believe that. If there was proof he knew things why would he do this? Career suicide if he comes out looking bad.

I think there already have been hints that were released that he knew enough to do more than he did. Also, I am pretty sure several victims have said either they talked to him or that they made him aware of the situation.
phatbeast
AG
Well since truth is an affirmative defense to libel and slander.....
Aftermath
AG
.....they screwed him....he will coach again. Everybody just played against him and recruited against him wanted him out....couldn't stand losing to Baylor....he was the scapegoat.
Bucketrunner
What color is the sky in your world?
Tobias Funke
AG
Aftermath said:

.....they screwed him....he will coach again. Everybody just played against him and recruited against him wanted him out....couldn't stand losing to Baylor....he was the scapegoat.

Wtf are you talking about?
Lateralus Ag
AG
he is probably suing because he didnt get the UH gig.

Same day that was announced he files the suit?
aggiehawg
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Suit has been in the prep stage for awhile, I would wager. The Houston situation caused him to lose his mind and pull the trigger to file it.

Going to be very hard to keep the full PH findings out of court. They can try to seal it, but people acting on the basis of what PH reported they found in their investigation will have to be part of their defense.

Briles just needed to shut up and go on a mission to Haiti or Africa for a while. Waging war like this only serves to make future prospective employers even more leery of hiring him.

Which is a good thing.
Lateralus Ag
AG
As usual, AH, your comments ring true. And I agree. That is a good thing.
TexanJeff
AG
If he is telling the truth and he is right about not knowing I hope he wins big and coaches again soon.

If he is lying and they prove he knew I hope he has to pay Baylors Attorneys Fees and never coaches again.
marble rye
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

He was also in Lubbock. For tech not to take him...
Joe Exotic
AG
Aftermath said:

How does it feel to make excuses for those that condone rape?
TempleAg97
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Aggie_Eric98 said:

Briles wouldn't be doing this if he was okay with settling out of court. He wants his name cleared bc he believes this is keeping him from another coaching job.

Seems like a Hail Mary, and it's going to be ugly

Baptists don't believe in Hail Mary's.
FriscoKid
AG
Actually it would be better for him to win the suit and all of the rape victims too. Drain the swamp of all of their money. I'm hoping for bankruptcy.
FroggieBreath
Sandusky, OJ, Hillary, and Charles Manson still insist they are innocent. No surprise.
Joe Exotic
AG
TexanJeff said:

If he is telling the truth and he is right about not knowing I hope he wins big and coaches again soon.

If he is lying and they prove he knew I hope he has to pay Baylors Attorneys Fees and never coaches again.

Dont forget that Briles didn't just know about these incidents. He also brought in many of these violent thugs just to win football games. He is scum and will do anything for a win. Sandusky was trash but he was just trying to satisfy his sick desires. Briles was subjecting women to rape to win college football games.
DM44
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Bri...405514426.html

By Julie Hays |
Posted: Thu 4:37 PM, Dec 08, 2016 |
Updated: Thu 5:39 PM, Dec 08, 2016

WACO, Texas (KWTX) Fired Baylor head football coach Art Briles filed a defamation suit Thursday in state district court in Llano County claiming that three Baylor regents and a university official aided by a California public relations firm so damaged his reputation with "false information and defamatory statements" that he may never again hold a head coaching job.

The libel and slander have "already cost him one or more prospective head football coaching jobs and likely ended his profession and career as a head football coach at any level," the suit, filed by Stephenville lawyer Ernest Cannon, says.

The suit, which names Board of Regents Chairman Ronald Murff, Regents J. Cary Gray and David Harper, and Senior Vice President for Operations and Chief Financial Officer Reagan Ramsower, seeks unspecified damages in excess of $1 million.

Baylor did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

On May 26, after hearing a lengthy report from the Pepper Hamilton law firm, regents, saying they "were horrified by the extent of these acts of sexual violence on our campus," reassigned Chancellor and President Ken Starr, fired head football coach Art Briles and put Athletic Director Ian McCaw on probation in the wake of the scathing Pepper Hamilton report.

Briles and Starr later reached settlements with the school and McCaw remained on the payroll until he was hired by Liberty University.

Pepper Hamilton produced a 13-page findings of fact that didn't identify any specific cases or name Briles or any other individual and until late October, Baylor and the board maintained it couldn't provide any details about the specific cases in which Pepper Hamilton found university and athletic department failures.

"Months later," the suit alleges, "in a complete about-face and acting on the advice of its PR firm, (G.F. Bunting and Co.), the Baylor Regents Defendants made themselves available for interviews with Buntings media friends, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, CBS Showtime's "60 Minutes Sports," the Dallas Morning News and others"

On Oct. 28, citing regents as sources, The Wall Street Journal published an article in which it reported that the scandal that cost Briles his job "involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes since 2011."

"These new allegations made in the Wall Street Journal are false and were manufactured by Bunting to re-create the story line expose Coach Briles to public hatred, contempt, ridicule and cause him financial injury.

"The purpose was to provide a newly created story line replete with details of false information and defamatory statements about Coach Briles," the suit says.

The suit says Briles was fired in May "without explanation to him or the public" and that despite repeated requests was never provided with the "so-called facts" that were the basis of the 13-page Findings of Fact the school released.

"Prior to their publication in the Wall Street Journal, Coach Briles had never heard these facts or these numbers. These statements and alleged facts had never before been disclosed by any member of the Baylor Board of Regents and were never discussed at the time of Baylor's investigation of and settlement with Coach Briles," the suit says.

"These defendants have been relentless in their false attacks upon Coach Briles in the media despite his repeated requests that they cease and retract their onslaught of untruths," the suit alleges.

"In their actions to defame Coach Briles, the Baylor Regents Defendants have expended and continue to expend millions of dollars contributed to the University in good faith by large and small donors and (alumni)."

The suit was filed in Llano County because Briles was in residence there at the time of the alleged defamation.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The suit says Briles was fired in May "without explanation to him or the public" and that despite repeated requests was never provided with the "so-called facts" that were the basis of the 13-page Findings of Fact the school released.

"Prior to their publication in the Wall Street Journal, Coach Briles had never heard these facts or these numbers. These statements and alleged facts had never before been disclosed by any member of the Baylor Board of Regents and were never discussed at the time of Baylor's investigation of and settlement with Coach Briles," the suit says.
Oh that's total BS. Why the hell would Briles have settled with them in the first place? He's not a nice man who didn't want to ruffle feathers. If he didn't know why he was fired, he wouldn't have settled for less than his full contractual pay-out.

That being said, Waco has some very weird people. The BOR is riddled with them.
Joe Exotic
AG
Briles was enough of a narcissistic scumbag to think he would be able to take his settlement from Baylor then cherry pick his next coaching job. Only it turns out people draw the line at things like enabling rape.
DrZ
AG
How on earth could he not know. The players knew. The assistants knew. The AD knew. But he didn't? This is silly on his part. I can not believe he actually thinks he will coach again. His son may not coach again.
TxAg76
AG
Briles could/should have done things different, and he knows it, and he owns it.
He was aware of all allegations. Obviously.

But he then blindly (and naively) trusted the police/investigators/administration to do their jobs, find the facts....and if the player was then found guilty, he'd cut em without question/hesitation.
Right or wrong, (obviously wrong), he deferred to the legal system, and took the "innocent until proven guilty" approach with the players. Sign of trust/loyalty. Thought they were owed the benefit of the doubt.
Could/should have suspended them during investigation periods. Knows he probably F'd up there. But he didn't.

Problem became the ethics-challenged big money boosters and administration. He was stupid enough to assume they'd play the game straight up. Obviously they were bending every possible truth and paying whatever dollar required to keep the guilty/non-guilty verdict in the gray area.

Art and family really thinks he got mega screwed. Thought he was playing it right by giving the player the benefit of the doubt, and then deferring to authorities to do their jobs and let him know the outcome of a thorough investigation.

Acknowledges he should have suspended them in the interim. But then also knew that a suspension is essentially the same as finding them guilty (without the literal legal ramifications), and that a suspension would also result in the player getting negatively pasted all over the media, casting negative shadow over a kid who MIGHT (ahem, cough) have been innocent. It's not like women haven't targeted players before. Certainly not saying that's the case here at all. But it's happened. Hence the need (in his opinion) for thorough fact finding and truth.

He's going guns blazing at ALL the people involved who weren't playing straight and opted to chunk him under what he thinks should have been THEIR bus. Acknowledges in hind sight that he could/should have done it differently himself. Feels like he deserves a glancing blow from the bus, no doubt. But feels like the direct hit from the tire tread belongs elsewhere. And that the repeating blows of backing up, then forward, then backing up, then forward again are necessary for those parties.

He's about to blow the doors on this thing wide F'n open, and it's about to get incredibly ugly.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Texas 1836
AG
My theory -

He knew about it. But knows about a lot of other stuff at Baylor.

I could see this as him telling Baylor to settle and clear him or he goes scorched earth on the show school.

What has he got to lose? And he's a big enough dbag to do it.
TMartin
Baylor paid off Starr so Briles wants his.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I don't think he's that delusional. He may be, but surely his attorney has set him straight, at least privately.

What is at play here is the fact that, as stated in an earlier post, NEITHER party wants who said what, who did/didn't do what, and when to come out AT ALL. He's playing on the idea that those he sued have just as much to lose as he does and perhaps there is an insurance policy in place somewhere that will cover this.
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

Art and family really thinks he got mega screwed. Thought he was playing it right by giving the player the benefit of the doubt, and then deferring to authorities to do their jobs and let him know the outcome of a thorough investigation.

If by "family" you mean penn st fans I agree.

Edit: sorry, I meant Baylor fans.
Sparkie
AG
Totally agree that he is looking for some cash.

I'd expect the insurance company to refuse payment much like Penn State. Force both Briles and Baylor to fight it out first in the public.

No dog in the fight, but I do hope karma bites Baylor and Briles is screwed out of coaching.

Paying players, buying them cars, etc.. I call it a net gain if the kid gets a degree if he would otherwise miss the opportunity. It's breaking the rules and such but the bigger picture is someone benefitted for life.

Contrasting that to Baylor, anyone person or organization that willing or complacenctly destroys another persons life is a waste and should not be tolerated.

sharpdressedman
aggiehawg said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Suit has been in the prep stage for awhile, I would wager. The Houston situation caused him to lose his mind and pull the trigger to file it.

Going to be very hard to keep the full PH findings out of court. They can try to seal it, but people acting on the basis of what PH reported they found in their investigation will have to be part of their defense.

Briles just needed to shut up and go on a mission to Haiti or Africa for a while. Waging war like this only serves to make future prospective employers even more leery of hiring him.

Which is a good thing.
I added the bold emphasis. This information has been the elephant in the room since the PH summary was released. Without revealing the details, virtually everyone in a position of authority (except AB) was vocal in their expressions of horror and dismay.

I have a strong feeling that AB is just looking for more $$$ and is not willing to have the PH facts exposed. Moreover, he is again playing chicken with BU, probably because he won the first go-round and got a settlement.

The TV screenwriters are salivating.
cheeky
AG
Briles already was paid off by Baylor. Ernie Cannon is a dic_. LMAO UH said no thanks. He done and he deserves it.
RockInspector
The Briles camp has claimed innocence through ignorance since day one (complete BS). That said, he knows what is in the report and he is banking on the fact that Baylor and the people named in the suit do not want this going public and dragging this out any further than necessary.

If he gets any kind of a settlement, he will claim victory and push the narrative that he was not to blame. If he truly feels he won't be able to coach again, then he has nothing to lose. If they settle, he wins in the court of public opinion (at least in his mind). If they don't, it's not like anyone (other than Baylor fans) will think he is a bigger POS than they already do.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.