Story Poster
Photo by Lindsay Caudle, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M No. 18 in AP's list of all-time top 100 football programs

August 2, 2016

The Associated Press just revealed its first-ever ranking of college football's all-time top 100 programs, basing the list on a combination of poll appearances, No. 1 rankings and championships.

Unsurprisingly, Texas A&M joined half the SEC inside the top 20.

The Aggies, who have appeared in 38.44 percent of all AP polls and are credited with 6.5 No. 1 rankings and one AP championship, came in at No. 18 — just ahead of programs such as No. 19 Michigan State, No. 20 Washington, No. 22 Clemson, No. 24 Wisconsin and No. 28 Oregon.

Alabama at No. 4, Florida and LSU at Nos. 10 and 11 and Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn  carrying Nos. 14 through 16, along with A&M, gave the SEC (which has 14 members) seven of the top 20.

Arkansas placed No. 21 to round out the conference's representation.

Per the AP list, the A&M program's best decade was the 1990s, during which the Aggies were ranked in 83.43 percent of all AP polls. Conversely, A&M was ranked in a mere 2.38 percent of 1960s AP polls (the program's worst decade, obviously).

The Aggies most recently finished the 2012 season ranked No. 5, as well as reaching the AP top 10 at one point in all three seasons since. The Aggies have not failed to break into the AP rankings over the course of a season since 2009.

Topping the rankings was Ohio State with five titles, a 77.24 percent poll appearance rate and 105 No. 1 nods.
Discussion from...

Texas A&M No. 18 in AP's list of all-time top 100 football programs

19,373 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Triple-T
Womackster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool
Bob Harris
Admittedly I'm a dark soul - I am shocked we're that high.
Ag1985
CentexAg
AG
This has to be BS. We all know the NUT is the premiere college football program in America- how can they barely crack the top 10?
MondayMorningQB
AG
You win some you lose some and end up where we should be
marble rye
AG
I ****ing loathe Ohio St. Damn them.
MassAggie97
AG
quote:
Admittedly I'm a dark soul - I am shocked we're that high.
ditto
Triple-T
AG
Really surprised we are above Arkansas. We are 28-41 vs. them all time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.