Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kevin Sumlin's sideline demeanor

7,116 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
jjcummings
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone think it odd that he chews gum constantly but does not appear to be that involved or ever animated? He just seems to appear like he is just there kind of passively uninterested. I know appearances can be deceiving but thats just the impression his body language gives off. Just never see him really ever involved with interacting players, coaching them up, or engaging in conversant dialogue with assistants. Almost lets say a as a spectator more than anything else. Maybe I am totally wrong but seems like there is something totally off kilter with the guy.
STX Ag
AG
Coach Sumlin doesn't do any of the "coaching". FYI.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Kirk Ferentz actually chews more gum.
John_Galt
That drives my dad crazy. He points out to me how all highly successful coaches (saban, meyer, etc.) are much more engage, not necessarily screaming but engaged with the players.
jjcummings
AG
quote:
Coach Sumlin doesn't do any of the "coaching". FYI.
Maybe you are right... He likes to delegate perhaps and let go of the reinsjust kind of give input but let his assistants do their thing and just manage game decisions, i.e. clock management and throw out ideas during game to coordinators. It makes you wonder you know how professional players performance tend to plateau and/or decline after landing big contract if it happens to coaches as well once they "get paid".
Nino Brown
Every HC has their own philosophy. I actually enjoy the fact that KDS hires a guy to do his job then gets out of the way, it's quite refreshing. He just hired the wrong guy
Goose83
AG
We used to laugh about Pelini pissing himself on the sidelines, but at least he cared (obviously a little too much, but he cared). As to what's going on with Sumin, I'm drawing a blank even bigger than the one he wears on his face while walking the sidelines.
TXAggie03
AG
It might just be me but Sumlin's expression always reminds me of Kevin Hart whenever the camera hits Sumlin after a ****ty outcome

mgreen
Les Miles is the same way. Rarely speaks during a game. Just watches like a fan.
jjcummings
AG
quote:
That drives my dad crazy. He points out to me how all highly successful coaches (saban, meyer, etc.) are much more engage, not necessarily screaming but engaged with the players.
Exactly.. it irks me too because it comes across as dispassionate which can be good and bad. But at some point if you love coaching football and want to inspire and lead, some emotion is necessary. After all this is the ultimate competitive team game. Look at Stoops, kingsbury, strong, etc differing personalities but you do see moments where they show passion, emotion, and engage with their players on sideline not just for sake of showing emotion but for a reason.
dachsie
quote:
Les Miles is the same way. Rarely speaks during a game. Just watches like a fan.
Not true. Les interacts with coaches and players. And the occasional official. He jumped all over Fournette for that Heisman pose last year.
SlackerAg
AG
Could just be the demeanor, but what irks me is if there is a bad ref call or players messing up there's no emotion.
To be a spectator, he could afford a Founder's Suite & watch.
Mr. White
Texags had to invent The Internet 2.0 because it used up all the original internet with threads re: Fran's sideline demeanor.

I was fine with Sumlin's until the LSU game in '14. 75% of coaches in the country would have been arrested on-field after that game.
Flashdiaz
AG
Sumlin is there to kick ass and chew gum... Unfortunately, he has a lot of gum.
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
I would love a firey head coach. Absolutely would eat that up. Go all Pellini and Muschamp all up in that.
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
quote:
It might just be me but Sumlin's expression always reminds me of Kevin Hart whenever the camera hits Sumlin after a ****ty outcome

That is right on
HustlerAggie
quote:
Saban and Meyer are two of the less animated college coaches.
jon gruden is intelligent
quote:
He claps like a seal:

http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/les-miles-clapping.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/184/388408448_523e19e43c.jpg

ETA - Can't post a ****ing picture to save my life

bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Same here. I think Pellini is excessive, but I'd rather someone like him than what Sumlin is doing right now. I feel like our sideline has no energy unless we're up by 20. I know Sumlin frequently talks into his headset, usually covering the mouthpiece when he does, so it's not like he's just standing there zoning out. But if you ever look at Saban on the sidelines, you get a little picture of part of why he's as good as he is. Just the way he manages his players, expectations of them, interacts with other coaches, etc. And then he doesn't get up in front of the press after a game and say he's not going ramble on and not answer certain questions and make excuses about players not executing like they were supposed to.
jjcummings
AG
quote:
quote:
Saban and Meyer are two of the less animated college coaches.
You know when Saban is mad or frustrated. He never looks happy but he is hardly ever passively indifferent or just indifferent to what is going on because he demands execution and accountability.
jjcummings
AG
quote:
quote:
Same here. I think Pellini is excessive, but I'd rather someone like him than what Sumlin is doing right now. I feel like our sideline has no energy unless we're up by 20. I know Sumlin frequently talks into his headset, usually covering the mouthpiece when he does, so it's not like he's just standing there zoning out. But if you ever look at Saban on the sidelines, you get a little picture of part of why he's as good as he is. Just the way he manages his players, expectations of them, interacts with other coaches, etc. And then he doesn't get up in front of the press after a game and say he's not going ramble on and not answer certain questions and make excuses about players not executing like they were supposed t
I agree thats what good and great coaches dothe bottom line they are more engaged and direct. I feel like Sumlin dodges responsibility and puts onus on players. I have never heard him say he did a bad job coaching or needs to coach better.
Rockdoc
AG
I wouldn't mind a coach that got fired up on the sideline during a game. He seems very disconnected.
jjcummings
AG
quote:
I wouldn't mind a coach that got fired up on the sideline during a game. He seems very disconnected.
Disconnected that's the perfect word. I feel like he doesn't really enjoy coachingjust going through the motions
spherical
AG
I swear- critiquing the coaches sideline demeanor must be one of the aggie stages of grief...
Fido04
AG
FCBlitz
I do not care how highly successful coaches behave on the sideline. They could wear lime green tuxedos on the side lines as long as they won every game.
Rockdoc
AG
So I guess sumlins way is working, right? I do feel better. Thanks.
Scotty Appleton
Sideline demeanor is a poor way to measure how engaged he is. The fact that he consistently fails to challenge calls on the field and is horrible with timeout usage is a MUCH better display of his below average gameday ability.

I still shake my head at him at the end of the 1st half V's Vandy, allowing a delay of game penalty with under 2 minutes in the red zone and 3 timeouts in his pocket. Just head shaking game awareness, and it is far from an anomaly.
Bullmoose
AG
Saban has a message for youse guys...

AG @ HEART
Some of the stuff BAS will make you ***** about I swear.
SigAg6
AG
Swag
saw em off
Come to think of it, I can't remember any Aggie head coaches being engaged or animated during games going back to Jackie. RC, Fran, Sleepy, it must be in the contract.
Rockdoc
AG
Who's *******? We're just making comments. I think we're allowed to do that on here. I've learned over the last 50 years or so to not let Aggie football bother me too much.
Citizen Reign
quote:
Every HC has their own philosophy. I actually enjoy the fact that KDS hires a guy to do his job then gets out of the way, it's quite refreshing. He just hired the wrong guy
Truth. With Sherman, folks were saying he should be a CEO type. Mike was engaged as hell and had no better results. OP's post and all others like it are dumb.

The only thing that chewing gum effects is his breath. And yes, I already know what the response to that comment will be. : )
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.