Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Nearing completion, Kyle Field project reps give latest update

August 10, 2015

Normally, people on the East side of Kyle Field take pride in their procrastination abilities.

Luckily for Kevin Sumlin and fans of Texas A&M Football, the Kyle renovation wasn't left up to the students that usually fill up those sections.

Instead, it was put in the hands of Chancellor John Sharp and businesses who are much better at dealing with deadlines.

Those in charge of leading the $450 million renovation spoke with media in the East side press box on Monday to provide updates on the nearly finished job. The first order of business at Kyle Field was addressing the field itself.

“In January, a guy named Sumlin called me and said, ‘I want my first practice (in Kyle Field) to be August 22nd," Sharp said. "I told him, ‘Coach, that isn't possible.' Well, after some more research, we found out it was possible.”

Through discussions with various members of his team, construction schedules were shifted and a drainage system was moved to the top of the list.

This drainage system was not only designed for a hundred-year flood, which is six and a half inches of rain per hour. This design is for 10-12 inches. If you have ever been in that kind of rain, it is worse than a hurricane, but this field can take it. - Populous' Craig Kaufman {"Module":"quote","Alignment":"left","Quote":"This drainage system was not only designed for a hundred-year flood, which is six and a half inches of rain per hour. This design is for 10-12 inches. If you have ever been in that kind of rain, it is worse than a hurricane, but this field can take it.","Author":"Populous\u0027 Craig Kaufman"}
As many will remember, grass and rain mixing caused quite a few problems last year. According to Greg Kaufman, head of Populous, that won’t be an issue moving forward.

“This drainage system was not only designed for a hundred-year flood, which is six and a half inches of rain per hour," he said. "This design is for 10-12 inches. If you have ever been in that kind of rain, it is worse than a hurricane, but this field can take it.”

Another big change from a year ago will come in the form of Kyle Field’s state-of-the-art WiFi technology. Phillip Ray, A&M System Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, touched on how the connectivity compares to other stadiums across the country.

“I’ve been on the west coast and seen the new stadium that is supposed to be the ‘true standard’ and I would not trade them today, no way," he said. "This is what the Aggie Family deserves.”

Ray did go on to mention that Verizon and AT&T customers will have full use of the connection, but they are still in discussions with Sprint and T-Mobile. However, they are hopeful an agreement will be reached soon.

The real details of the WiFi came when Todd Christner of Corning Optical Communications Wireless, spoke.

“It is hard to test a system like this without 100,000 people in the stadium," Christner said. "So the only way we can optimize this system, and really make it hum and perform, is by getting 100,000 people to use it.”

With a program of this magnitude, there will always be kinks to work out along the way.

“Game one, it will function better than what you have seen in the past with other stadiums," Christner added. "Game two it will function better, and even better in game three. Each game, the system will get better.”

In addition to all the technology and turf science, it was also announced that Slovacek has made a hot dog specifically for Texas A&M that will not be available anywhere else in the country.

The stadium is expected to reach its ‘substantial completion’ on September 5th — one week before Kyle Field opens its doors against Ball State.
Discussion from...

14,093 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggiehawg
Cavender Neutze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
45-70Ag
AG
Who's going to complain about wifi first
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
Who's going to complain about wifi first

Wait? Is this a complaint?!?
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
In addition to all the technology and turf science, it was also announced that Slovacek has made a hot dog specifically for Texas A&M that will not be available anywhere else in the country.
Good. Glad to hear they're stepping up as a true corporate partner to truly help Kyle Field create a true competitive advantage over the other SEC schools. I can't wait to see what those wizards came up with.
trailrunner
AG
I must be an old ag now...who gives a crap about wifi - there's a game going on!
Post removed:
by user
One Tooth Man
One Dollar 19 Inch Hotdogs!
AggieBarbee959595
Wifi is very impt for people who use flash seats because I have AT&T and have no signal once I'm on campus for tailgates and sometimes could not access my online tickets to gain entry.
It is also important to find your friends and family before and after the game especially if weather changes, someone gets sick, etc
Then there is the fact it is 2015 and social media is a primary form of communication and students and families alike need to be able to get in touch! The campus I love may as well have been back in the 1800s as far as communications go, especially if you did not have Verizon.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Better be all beef! Hate those chicken/turkey/mystery meat/pork hot dogs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.