Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chavis Suing A&M and LSU

57,540 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggiehawg
texag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggball2010
AG
Yep.
Johnny Manziel
2xRetired

[url=http://media.photobucket.com/user/shj2459/media/JackieChiles.jpg.html][/url]
James Wilson, MD
quote:
Don't worry about Chavis and A&M. This is a friendly suit between those parties. We're fine.

Alleva is letting emotion dictate here, and it shows.

What does it say about our society that we use phrases like "this is a friendly suit between those parties"?

Sorry AH, you're still my favorite, but attorneys have run us into the ground, and they're still grinding...
SECTAMU#1
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2015/02/28/john-chavis-lsu-tigers-texas-am-aggies-lawsuit-defensive-coordinator/24168093/
SECTAMU#1
quote:
A&M is in the suit so that the case can be heard in Brazos County, rather than having to bring it in Louisiana.
According to article:

Chavis' lawsuit also names Texas A&M as a defendant in case it does not take care of the $400,000 buyout should LSU get what it wants. Chavis maintains A&M promised him it would take care of any of his monetary obligations to LSU over his contract.
45-70Ag
AG
Can this thing go any direction that ends his tenure here?
KW02
AG
I am interested in the letter sent to Chavis by LSU demanding the 400K before he gave notice and the basis for claiming it.
made my bed
quote:
quote:
Don't worry about Chavis and A&M. This is a friendly suit between those parties. We're fine.

What does it say about our society that we use phrases like "this is a friendly suit between those parties"?

Sorry AH, you're still my favorite, but attorneys have run us into the ground, and they're still grinding...

How is this the fault of attorneys? There is a dispute between parties about a contract. They are asking a independent 3rd party to evaluate the facts and determine who is right. Its not a big deal. How would you prefer such disputes to be settled? Duels?
monarch
S
This is not the way to start a career with a new employer...
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:

I know it is counter-intuitive, but sometimes that's how the laws work. Two parties may have a common goal, but don't have the exact same legal avenues available to get there. Hence there are causes of action like declaratory judgment, intervenor, subrogation, and indemnification. Nomenclature of "plaintiff" and "defendant" is stylistic, not substantive.

But to your last point, sadly I agree. Lawyers don't help much of the time. But when you have a party like Alleva, (think of a Cajun version of Dodds) who is behaving like this is a divorce, not a coaching move, lawyers are required.
Swagmanag
quote:
This is not the way to start a career with a new employer...

This.
wilton
Looks like you all have another mess.
Lungblood
Our slack jawed rivals are too stupid to stategerize in such a crafty manner, and it pisses them off. There's more than one way to skin a cat... right Baylor?
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Thread at the top of the board w A&M statement...

Pretty standard procedure... Chicken littles can calm down now
wtr1975
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Really guys, those of you who are alarmed by this, don't be.

Go read the tiger rant on tigerdroppings. The LSU fans are nearly giddy over this because they too feel like jilted lovers. Want revenge on Chavis. As a fan base, swamp kitties aren't MENSA members, nor do they understand what a black eye this mess is causing the LSU program.

There's a reason several assistant coaches bailed at LSU, and why Miles had such a problem finding a new DC. His name starts with an "A" as does his job title.
budaag1
AG
Non-issue...and, seriously, $400K...as much as we're paying our coaches and for facility upgrades...that's chump-change.
ntxVol
Haha, and some folks wonder why so many SEC fans hate the corndogs.
dachsie
quote:
It is called being given an immediate release after you give notice. Happens when you are privy to sensitive information (such as recruiting scoop) so your employer cuts you loose early. Anybody think Les Miles wanted Chavis around his recruits?

Had it happen to me and I got to start a new job early and draw 2 paychecks for a while. If Chavis worded his resignation letter correctly he is golden.

The LSU black eye just keeps getting bigger as this drags on.
Except LSU never gave him a release. He left first.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:
It is called being given an immediate release after you give notice. Happens when you are privy to sensitive information (such as recruiting scoop) so your employer cuts you loose early. Anybody think Les Miles wanted Chavis around his recruits?

Had it happen to me and I got to start a new job early and draw 2 paychecks for a while. If Chavis worded his resignation letter correctly he is golden.

So you are saying that when they interviewed all of those DC candidates, and hired Steele on January 13th, LSU still considered Chavis their employee as DC??? Isn't there a rule regarding the allowable number of coaches??? And did Steele do any recruiting for LSU before NSD??
SwigAg11
AG
Quick question to all you lawyers on here. Irregardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, if the other party decides to appeal, would it get kicked up to the 5th circuit in NO?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Quick question to all you lawyers on here. Irregardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, if the other party decides to appeal, would it get kicked up to the 5th circuit in NO?
"Irregardless" of word usage, that would be part of any appeals process.
FTAG 2000
AG
The fact lsu is asking for stuff like reimbursement for Kevin Steele's hiring and relocation costs shows how stupid and wheels off their suit is.

Lol at anyone worried about how Chevis is starting his career here. A&M and him are a united front on this one. F L$U.
Al Bula
AG
People who use irregardless
SwigAg11
AG
I really did forget how asinine the zoo can be.
Bankeraggie
AG
quote:

Beat me to Better Call Saul.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Would have to be removed to federal court first. Right now both cases are in state courts and respective state court appeal procedures apply.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
I really did forget how asinine the zoo can be.
Perhaps you should learn to use proper English.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
The fact lsu is asking for stuff like reimbursement for Kevin Steele's hiring and relocation costs shows how stupid and wheels off their suit is.

Lol at anyone worried about how Chevis is starting his career here. A&M and him are a united front on this one. F L$U.
Don't forget damage for loss of potential recruits and ticket sales. To hear Alleva tell it Chavis was the real attraction for LSU football, not Miles, nor uhhmm, LSfriggin'U.
Maroon Flash
AG
LSU crying like a whiny brat with piss running down their legs.

The Aggies hired their stud DC and they have been penalized for their recruiting violations. Wish their AD would man up and stfu.
Red Stick

I've got a feeling there is a copius amount of "Bayou Justice" headed CS way, both from the courts and also
on the field at Tiger Stadium come November.

And then what if the NCAA comes sniffing?

Was Chavis recruiting illegally back in January?

What a mess.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

I've got a feeling there is a copius amount of "Bayou Justice" headed CS way, both from the courts and also
on the field at Tiger Stadium come November.

And then what if the NCAA comes sniffing?

Was Chavis recruiting illegally back in January?

What a mess.
LOL! A contract dispute does not an NCAA violation make. Put down the purple kool-aid.

You guys did get screwed over that recruit signing a FAA and flipping to Bama, BTW. Ex post facto there.
dachsie
quote:
quote:
quote:

So you are saying that when they interviewed all of those DC candidates, and hired Steele on January 13th, LSU still considered Chavis their employee as DC??? Isn't there a rule regarding the allowable number of coaches??? And did Steele do any recruiting for LSU before NSD??
No, I'm saying LSU informed Chavis he owed $400,000 on Jan 2. Two days before he supposedly gave notice. Read this. Has points made for both sides:

quote:
Coughlin's Law: Things always end badly, or else they wouldn't end.It's safe to say that the Chavis-LSU divorce is officially ugly, now that Chavis has filed suit against LSU for breach of contract. Chavis went to the 272nd District Court in Brazos County, Texas to file. Now, I can't imagine why he would do a thing like that?Oh, because Texas A&M is located in Brazos County. When litigation seems inevitable, it's always best to be the side that picks its forum by filing first. I think it's pretty clear who won the race to courthouse.Essentially, Chavis' argument is that the term of his contract with LSU ended on December 31, 2015 and per the terms of the contract, he would not incur a penalty for terminated the contract in the last 11 months of the term. So, that meant the first day he could terminate the contract without cause and walk away free of any liability was January 31, 2015.Of course, Chavis didn't terminate his contract then, he terminated his contract right after the bowl game. Or did he?According to his petition, Chavis turned in his 30-day notice terminate his employment on January 5th, which would make his last day February 5th. That would, according to his argument, mean that Chavis did not terminate his contract until within the last 11 months of the deal.What doesn't make sense is that his petition also claims that Joe Alleva demanded that Chavis pay the university $400,000 in liquidated damages on January 2nd. For those of you scoring at home, that would be two days BEFORE Chavis claims he gave proper 30-day notice of his termination.Now, why would Alleva spontaneously ask Chavis for $400,000 in liquidated damages for breach of contract if Chavis hadn't already, you know, breached the contract? The petition is silent on this issue, but you can bet your bottom's dollar LSU will bring it up in their counterclaim. Especially when they start throwing around terms like "baseless" and "frivolous complaint".I do give Chavis points for a creative legal argument. He's claiming that even though he said "I quit" on January 4, those words weren't effective until February 4. Even better, he didn't provide notice that he was quitting until somehow LSU already knew he was quitting. He's trying to set up an argument that it was LSU that breached first, firing him before he had the chance to quit. And when he provided 30-day notice of his termination, LSU waived those 30-days solely to stay within the period in which Chavis would incur a penalty. That would also make LSU the breaching party. So he's got two bullets in his legal gun.This is par for the course. When one party sues for breach of contract, it's almost guaranteed the other party will sue him right back for breach. Both sides are arguing that the other one is the bad guy, and the breaching party. Because whether LSU gets a check from Chavis really depends on that question: who breached first?So what does LSU do now? Well, they sue right back and try and get the case moved back to the friendly confines of Baton Rouge. The contract almost certainly has a choice of venue clause which states any litigation needs to be in Baton Rouge courts. Furthermore, it makes perfect sense. This contract was formed in Baton Rouge, performed in Baton Rouge, and then terminated in Baton Rouge. The lawsuit should be there, too. I'm not sure what their jurisdictional hook is for Brazos County, other than the fact Chavis is there now.Really, this just drags Texas A&M to the dispute, and makes it all the more likely LSU will accuse A&M of tortious interference with an existing contract. Now, there's your jurisdictional hook to Brazos County, punk. Honestly, this likely never sees the inside of a courtroom. This is all just a move by Chavis to lower the buyout, as he doesn't have $400,000 lying around. LSU is playing hardball with Chavis, and now he's playing hardball right back. The question is, how far is he willing to go with this? Because there's really no chance LSU just rolls over and takes it.
http://www.andtheval...chavis-sues-lsu

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.