Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Ryan Swope on life after football, current state of A&M program

September 12, 2014

Key quotes from Ryan Swope interview

“I am excited and thrilled to get back to College Station. It has been a long time, too long since I’ve been back there. I'm anxious to see the transformed Kyle Field at it’s best, and really just get back to Aggieland. I’ve been missing it for way to long.”

“I’m doing commercial real estate in Dallas now and really loving it. I get to meet a lot of successful people, a lot of Aggies along the way too.”

“God’s got a plan, you know one door closes and another one opens. I’ve thought about giving football another try for along time, it’ll always been in the back of my mind but for right now, I’m going to focus on commercial real estate. I don’t see myself perusing football anytime soon, but who knows it may creep up on me.”

“The support I had there in Aggieland after my concussions, it was incredible. Everyone really got behind me and it goes to show you the true colors of Texas A&M and being an Aggie. It’s incredible to come back there and see all the smiling faces and still have those fans that always have your back. It’s a pretty special place and it's the best university in the country. If I could go back and do it again, I would do it in a heartbeat because it’s a special place, and it went by way to fast. It’s great to have that support and having those fans behind me 100%. It was a game changer and a life decision that I had to make, but in the long run it’s your brain and you have to take care of yourself, and it’s great to see people support my decision.”

“I'm a little jealous of the new facilities, but me and Spencer Nealy like to think we had a little something to do with building new Kyle Field.”

“Right now I see a lot of talent on the field, I see Coach Sumlin doing his best. Kenny Hill is turning heads and showing a lot of maturity, which is what you want to have. You see the program at it’s best, seeing 12 different receivers catching the football and how it all works.”

“Coach Sumlin has done a hell of a job recruiting and he has great players to coach and he’s got the program headed in the right direction. You’re either on board or you’re off and it looks like he’s got the whole team on.”

“Coach Beaty was one of the greatest coaches I’ve every played for. I've had a bunch of good coaches,but he mentally and physically got you right for those football games. He was a teacher of the game and he is the best recruiter in the country, he could get any guy he wants. He's a great family man and a great guy.”

“I’m going to say the most memorable moment while I was at A&M was going into Tuscaloosa and beating the hell out of Alabama, it doesn’t get any better than that. People thought that we would be lucky to get out and win six games, and we went out and proved everybody wrong. We set the tone for coming into the SEC, that was one of the coolest things.”

“My junior year I was considering leaving early and going off to the pros, but I got a call from Coach Kingsbury and a call from Coach Sumlin and they said, ‘Hey we need you in this program, we want you to come back and be a part of our special offense and our special team.’ They had me hooked, I came back and we won 11 games.”

“I miss being around the guys and seeing the kids coming up wanting an autograph, that will always be in the back of my mind.”
Discussion from...

Ryan Swope on life after football, current state of A&M program

20,654 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by WN AG
bdb85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely loved watching Swope play. Good luck with the current job.........and stay out of football!
Sq. Six 89 Ag
The morning after the Cotton Bowl against LSU, my wife and I were walking out the front of the hotel to our car.

The Swope brothers were both standing out front with their family's luggage, and were needing to go get their car. They asked if we could watch their luggage while they went and brought the car around to load up all of their luggage. We said no problem, and off they both went running to the garage.

They could not have been more friendly and polite, thanking us for helping out. My wife had just started following the team, and did not know many of the players. After that, she was so impressed with their manners (she's real big on that) that Ryan became her favorite player.

Thanks for the memories, both on and off the field.

ssolari94
AG
One of the good guys!!! Good stuff right there !!!
wisdom
AG
When I see the name, Ryan Swope, the image of the 3rdquarter, 4th down pass play that put the final nail in the coffinfor the land thieves in the Cotton Bowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kr1riqTaKo" class="postlink " target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kr1riqTaKo
[url=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/RoadVersion/media/Swope_zpse1985d54.jpg.html][/url]
redjalapeno-87
My favorite Fightin' Texas Aggie receiver. Good Aggie, good people. He needs to beget a son, and get him here at the same time as Evans, Joeckel, Matthews and Johnny's sons. By that time, Sumlin's son will be Head Coach on a lifetime contract. A man can dream.
Thor77
AG
Swope!!!
Bigderk21
AG

sarancher
AG
He will be an Aggie Legend.
jaseev
Swope and Mcgee both have the hearts of lions!
freesafetyag
Favorite Swope play was a pass from Tannehill against OU in 2010 that essentially put the game away for the good guys. Wishing him the best.
Here4Beer
AG
One of my all time favorite players!
jag2k2
AG
Man I loved Swope. Always wondered if that catch in the Alabama game is what essentially ended his football career.
WN AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.