Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Halftime as OD and cutting the Rice Victory Tree

45,111 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeon-ag
skins74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a senior in Squadron Seven in 1973 and we were assigned the job as OD's at the Rice Football game in Houston. It was a Corps Trip also. The halftime show by the MOB has been discussed in other thread but I can tell you when they lined up in Nazi Helmets and goosestepped out of the end zone, We knew we may have trouble. They started their show and the Ags got more pissed every time they did a song. Marvin Zindler did twirl with them and after all he had just shut down the Chicken Ranch in La Grange so he was not very popular with a lot of Ags. The Ags in the stands were ready to charge the field and kick some ass. At one point I looked up and saw about two hundred fish starting to charge the field. I actually drew my saber and yelled at them to stop and stay in the stands. They did. I would never have used my saber but they were fish and weren't to sure I was crazy enough to do so. At that point I ran to our yell leaders and told them to get our band which was back in the stands, to play the National Anthem or something to calm down the Ags. They cranked up with the Aggie War Hymn while the MOB was still on the field. By this time the Mob knew it was in their best interest to stop and they did so. I only know of one person that got by us and got on the field and that was a former student who ran out there and decked a trombone player. I think the cops took him off from there. After the game they hauled the Rice band out in a truck as they feared for their safety which was a joke.

So we went back to school to finish building the bonfire as tu was our next game. The night before bonfire, I told my old lady, (roommate) that it was our last bonfire and we needed to go out and work all night. So he and I went out and started piss anting small logs up to the stack. Then about 1:30 or 2 am, we ran into a couple of friends who suggested we go to the Kettle cafe and get a bowl of chili. While we were there, my buddy who was a trainer on the football team made the comment that it sure would have been cool if we could have gotten the Rice Victory Tree for the bonfire. I looked up at my other friend and we started to grin and asked where this tree was? He didn't know but he knew there was a picture and a map of it in the Rice Football Program. None of us had one so we went to the football dorm and started waking up players trying to find one which we did. At that point we went back to the stack and found two guys with pick ups willing to go and eight of us loaded up chain saws, axes, and a hand held crosscut saw in the trucks and headed for Houston. The tree was not on the Rice campus. It was at a camp in the then small town of Friendswood called Camp Manison. We got to the camp right at day break and started looking for the tree. We thought we found one that looked like it but were not sure so I got in one truck and we went and looked elsewhere but saw two little girls getting on the school bus. I ran up to the bus and beat on the door and they driver opened it. (Imagine that today?? No way!) I told her that I wanted to ask the girls that just got on the bus a question. I asked her if she knew where the Rice tree was and she told me. It was the one we thought it was so off we went. The tree was too big to bring back in pick ups so we cut off a large limb and threw it into the truck. Then we debated whether to cut down the tree. I finally said "I didn't drive down here to just trim a tree. Cut that sucker." We knew chainsaws were too loud so we used the old fashioned two man crosscut saw. When we started that saw never stopped. We would relieve each other as needed. When the tree began to fall, it was elbows and *******s. None of us saw it hit but it was a loud crash. We were in the trucks and out of there.

We got back to the campus and each of us cut a slice of the limb off for a souvenir, which I still have today. We painted RICE on the limb and it went on the bonfire. I remember that elephant walk was approaching the stack through the quad and I ran up to my buddies yelling we got the SOB!!! That limb burned on the bonfire that night. The next morning my phone rang and all they said was page one, Houston Post. I got up and got the paper and saw the headlines "Aggies axe Owl Tree" with a picture of the fallen tree and the little girl that told us where to find the tree was sitting on the stump.

How we got away with going to a private camp and cutting down a tree in broad daylight will always amaze me but we did. The next week I went to my mail box and there was a letter there from the President of Texas A&M. I was afraid to open it as I knew I was getting kicked out of school. But I finally did open it and it was a letter thanking us for the magnificent job we did as OD's at the Rice Football Game. There were eight of us that went on that gutsy and stupid trip that night but damn it was fun. By the way, my nickname that has been with me since fourth grade is Skins and anyone that knew me in 1973 probably knows this story. The class of 74. The best damn class ever.
Capt. America
AG

In all seriousness, that's an interesting story...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
Fleen
rjamizon
BQ2014
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told.
SA-AG72
AG
Good Bull!!!
Sex Panther
AG
All I took away from that is apparently you were dating your roommate
texag84
AG
Damned good bull - I've heard this story for years and never tire of reading / hearing it from others.
Lungblood
Best thing I've read on this board in a while
agbq06
AG
Good bull!
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told

you're too young to understand son
SquawkITag
AG
That's SEC ready right there!
HECUBUS
AG
Great story! That front page picture did put a big smile on Dad's face.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Juan. Good bull.
gigem70
AG
Good Bull.
jeffk
AG
So we're all square for the nazi thing?
howdy2u
goodag09
AG
Pawllll!!!

Good bull as it gets! Redass
Build It
AG
Good bull!
dimeboxaggie
AG
Good bull sir!!!

Refreshing to hear stories like this!

Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
I actually don't think this story is good bull at all. How would you feel if some ******* cut down the century tree?
DevilD77
AG
skins74, I was one of the first fish coming over the wall and I remember you well. The Sunday Houston paper (forget which one) had a picture showing a police officer and some fish and saying what a great job the police did in keeping order. How little they know. You and the other OD's with their ram pads out of their pockets pointing to us and calling many of us by name is what kept the situation under control. I was also one of the many cadets waiting to have a "talk" with the MOB after the game. Poor HPD office came out and asked us to leave so he could go home. I believe at the time the MOB had already been spirited away but we didn't know it at the time. Anyway, we had a bunch of us trying to get off campus and the Houston traffic wouldn't let anybody out of the parking lot. I got out, put on my white gloves and capaign cover (or sevice cap, I really can't remember after all these years) and walked out in the street and stopped traffic just like I belonged there. Kept traffic stopped until every cadet I saw was out of the lot and then my buddies drove up and I hopped in and we came back to campus. I think I remember seeing the "Rice" Limb on the stack.
AggieNiebs
AG
Definitely could result in jail time if you were to do it now a days
Btron
AG
Little too Harvey Updyke for my liking.
Btron
tsuag10
AG
quote:
Little too Harvey Updyke for my liking.
True, but an awesome story nonetheless
AnalogyAg
quote:
I told her that I wanted to ask the girls that just got on the bus a question. I asked her if she knew where the Rice tree was and she told me.

Ahh, the perfect crime. so did you try to kill the bus driver and the little girls after they spilled their guts?
RGV AG
AG
Hell Yeah!!! Gig'Em Skins!!!!
King of the North
AG
Does anyone remember the crazy story a guy posted about kidnapping George Blanda? Funniest post of all time.
skins74
AG
Thanks Devil D. and all that thought it was good bull. As that is what it was in those days.
YankAg13
AG
Anyone have a picture of that front page? I would imagine the story has become a little "taller" in your head over the years, but I don't doubt it really happened. And if it happened just like you said then all the better!
William_C_G
AG
Page 1! The youngsters today don't realize that the Ags also kidnapped the Rice Owl and every other SWC mascot at least once back in the day. That's how we rolled.
Capt. America
AG
quote:
the Ags also kidnapped the Rice Owl and every other SWC mascot at least once back in the day. That's how we rolled.

Isn't kidnapping essentially stealing?

"An Aggie does not Lie, Cheat, or STEAL, nor tolerate those who do"

I'm not tolerating you right now...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
InnerCityAg
I was about to TLDR this until I saw all the positive responses...

So, I'll say that is a cool story, bro.
CanyonAg77
AG
An Aggie English prof, Ray Leighman (sp?) was among those who "stole" Bevo when he was a student. Took him to his granddad's ranch until the Texas Rangers (overkill, anyone?) came and asked for him back, since they couldn't find him.

Bevo went back to Austin fatter and sleeker than when he left.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.