Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Halftime as OD and cutting the Rice Victory Tree

45,506 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeon-ag
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Son of a beetch I gotta lotta pinche trees to cut down.
VanZandt92
Wait. Somebody carved their initials in the Century Tree?
texAZtea
AG
quote:
I ever tell yall about my tour of Rice and considering going there? Walked across that campus and didn't see a dateable female on the entire 5 acres. Did not visit again.
most underrated post on this thread
DevilD77
AG
By the way, it wasn't just the CTs and BQs that got pissed off. The non-regs that were in our section were ready to fight too!
TwoMarksHand
AG
Hey 55-99 if you're still reading this thread, my grandpa class of '54 told my dad a story of him and some buddies stealing the baylor bear, as well as almost branding bevo, and stealing some other mascot (can't remember, this was all second hand). They always thought he was full of it until his funeral, when some old corps friends of his were repeating the same story.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Sounds like "New Army" needs to grow a pair! Great story!
TERRY L
Speaking of trees.....when does cut for bonfire start?
The Fife
quote:
quote:
Spanky, HEB would have taken out that tree anyway. Their store sits on top of where it was.

Imagine if they built an HEB Pantry on top of the century tree.

PTTS would find a reason to ticket the entire lot and probably of the shopping carts too.
Capt. America
AG
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
TD95
DayAg!
S
Just looking at some of the responses you can tell it still just goes right over their head. And like I said, it has nothing to do with having or not having thick skin. It has to do with the times that it happened. And I repeat, unless you lived in that time you'll never understand it and continue to have your tainted world view of how you think things should be politically correct. Millennial's and New Army, you can spot em a mile off just by the way they have been brainwashed by todays society and their half baked responses to something they cant fully comprehend.

Justice was served by the standards of that time. And no one thought that much about it. But see, today everyone would be in an uproar. Would the same thing being done today be any different than when it was done then. No. But what has changed is the idiocy of our societies mindset when it comes to understanding what's truly right or wrong. They can swallow camels , but they choke on gnats. It's twisted from what's truly important and what's not. But you guys just keep toeing the company line. Hopefully one day you'll wake up and finally start to smell the roses.
Munsoned Ag in Austin
AG
Good Bull! I love a great Red Ass story! I never heard this one and I enjoyed reading it. The old stories about branding cows, kidnapping horses, and cutting trees need to be told to all the youngsters. They may not ever truly get it, but then again they don't truly understand Bonfire either.
skins74
AG
I decided to post the story because it was how it was back then. The only thing I have to say now is BEAT THE HELL OUTTA RICE!!!
No14sDad
I remember that game so well. It changed my life. I was with a tu sweet thing that I thought would end up being the mother of my children. Well, when that MOB did the show I went crazy along with the rest of my Aggie brothers. She sees that and that night we ended the relationship. Three months later I met my soulmate/love of my life at A &M. We marry, have 2 perfect little Aggie grads and a wonderful life. Now often I would think about how things would have turned out if the rice band had not had their show. I felt blessed the way things turned out. Fast forward 33 years and I catch my soulmate playing house with an old boyfriend. Destroyed my marriage, broke up a close family, and pretty much ruined my life. Now I hate that damn Rice band.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
quote:
I remember that game so well. It changed my life. I was with a tu sweet thing that I thought would end up being the mother of my children. Well, when that MOB did the show I went crazy along with the rest of my Aggie brothers. She sees that and that night we ended the relationship. Three months later I met my soulmate/love of my life at A &M. We marry, have 2 perfect little Aggie grads and a wonderful life. Now often I would think about how things would have turned out if the rice band had not had their show. I felt blessed the way things turned out. Fast forward 33 years and I catch my soulmate playing house with an old boyfriend. Destroyed my marriage, broke up a close family, and pretty much ruined my life. Now I hate that damn Rice band.
Potd!
WN AG
DLJ
Skins I was just telling this story to a group of friends on Sunday I still have my core of that Log
Giggem
Pilsbury
Ps it's not just a story it happend I was there!
Bluff Rat
skins74
AG
Just saw my story recycled.
MetoliusAg
DayAg! said:

Just looking at some of the responses you can tell it still just goes right over their head. And like I said, it has nothing to do with having or not having thick skin. It has to do with the times that it happened. And I repeat, unless you lived in that time you'll never understand it and continue to have your tainted world view of how you think things should be politically correct. Millennial's and New Army, you can spot em a mile off just by the way they have been brainwashed by todays society and their half baked responses to something they cant fully comprehend.

Justice was served by the standards of that time. And no one thought that much about it. But see, today everyone would be in an uproar. Would the same thing being done today be any different than when it was done then. No. But what has changed is the idiocy of our societies mindset when it comes to understanding what's truly right or wrong. They can swallow camels , but they choke on gnats. It's twisted from what's truly important and what's not. But you guys just keep toeing the company line. Hopefully one day you'll wake up and finally start to smell the roses.
I have a slightly different take on it.

Cutting down Rice's Victory Tree was a big news story and a big embarrassment for A&M at the time. I was attending A&M then, and I remember it well. We Ags received a lot of criticism for it for years afterward, too.

However, Rice's band instigated it. That is the part that the critics always omit.

I was at the game. What the Rice band did was unconscionable.

Here's why.

For many thousands of older Ags from the WW2 generation, the semi-annual trip to watch A&M play Rice in Houston was a trip they and their spouses never missed. It was a big social weekend where for decades many Aggies of that generation met up in Houston to socialize with old A&M acquaintances.

Many older Ags attending that game served during WW2. And every Ag and Aggie spouse of that generation had lost friends, brothers, fathers, and/or uncles in WW2.

My two uncles were WW2 vets; both were at the game with their wives. They thought it was very poor taste what the Rice band did. But they were grown men in their 50's, successful professionals, and had cool heads. They were disgusted and shocked, but not angry.

It was us young Ags at the game who were angry. Angry because the older men and women of that WW2 generation who we held such respect for were being ridiculed and insulted in such a disgusting and totally uncalled-for way.

To call someone in America's WW2 generation a Nazi is one of the vilest, lowest insults possible.

Rice is lucky their p.o.s. band didn't receive an old-fashioned butt-kicking that day.

So too bad about the tree. It burned damn good, I hear.

aeon-ag
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told

you're too young to understand son
Yep, thats new army for you. I wonder if he has a safe space??!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.