Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Halftime as OD and cutting the Rice Victory Tree

45,508 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeon-ag
55-99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I remember the story of stealing both Baylor bear cubs. They got to fighting in the backseat of the car so the guys put one out on the street in downtown Waco and took the other one back to college station. Brought it out during the game.

I don't know how many times this was done; so, I don't know if you're talking about in the 50's or not. My dad is class of 55, and he was in the car - with 1 cub, not two. The cub tore the car up, and them, and they didn't leave it by the road or bring it back to College Station. They were going to give the bear back at the half and ended up giving it back before the game because it tore them and the new car up too much.

Still, it was a different time. Right or wrong, they make for some fun stories.
WBBQ74
AG
Skins tells the absolute truth. I have seen one of the 'Rice Victory Tree' plaques at another of the Sqdn 7 bud's home many times over the years. Lots of wussies on this thread. If you weren't there you really don't understand the emotions involved and why folks to this day still remember and will never forgive/forget Rice and the MOB. They should NEVER be invited to Kyle Field, life sentence deal.

I hope we score 100 points Saturday night. And I will be there to watch every one of them. Wife is gonna need some lipstick.
annie88
AG
quote:
I only know of one person that got by us and got on the field and that was a former student who ran out there and decked a trombone player.

I knew about the band performance and their need for protection, didn't know about the tree. Awesome red ass story! Great to get away with stuff like that then as you couldn't today...
annie88
AG
Wow, bunch of pansy asses in this millennial generation... geez. grow a pair and quit listening to Obama.

quote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told.

quote:
I actually don't think this story is good bull at all. How would you feel if some ******* cut down the century tree?
Little too Harvey Updyke for my liking.

quote:
I'm not really digging that story. Maybe it was a different time, but trespassing and stealing and destroying/desecrating other's traditions isn't really what I think of when I think about what Texas A&M is all about.

quote:
I wonder if OP would have considered it good bull if he had poisoned the trees at Auburn the night after they beat us? I mean they had it coming cuz of the horse collar right? I guess it's too bad someone beat him to it. Would made for a great story I'm sure.

quote:
I've got mixed emotions on this topic. Today cutting a tree down would be deplorable but in the 70's all the SWC schools were snatching mascots or doing other similar things.
Hate this story. Cutting down trees is NOT cool. Neither is poisoning trees. How would any of you feel if the Century Oak was killed by some fool.

quote:
Based upon the article posted previously, that tree was estimated to be 104 years old based upon the rings. I'm not cool that it was cut down. Smacks a little too much of the 'tard who poisoned Toomers Oaks. However, I don't think I'll judge you for something that was done about 40 years ago when things were different. If that happened today though I would be ashamed if the people who did it were Ags.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
I remember the story of stealing both Baylor bear cubs. They got to fighting in the backseat of the car so the guys put one out on the street in downtown Waco and took the other one back to college station. Brought it out during the game.

I don't know how many times this was done; so, I don't know if you're talking about in the 50's or not. My dad is class of 55, and he was in the car - with 1 cub, not two. The cub tore the car up, and them, and they didn't leave it by the road or bring it back to College Station. They were going to give the bear back at the half and ended up giving it back before the game because it tore them and the new car up too much.

Still, it was a different time. Right or wrong, they make for some fun stories.
VanZandt92
I'm fairly left when it comes to the environment, and I have no problem with cutting that tree down. Besides, we needed the wood.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
This was less than 30 years after the end of WWII. I remember my daddy telling me that the worst insult you could throw at someone when he was a kid was to call them a Nazi or a Jap.
annie88
AG
Rice's version of the story:
http://ricefootball.net/mobday.htm

http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/197311170

and another article from the Rice Tresher...
https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/handle/1911/66646/thr19731129.pdf?sequence=1

quote:
Carl Swiere, who undid the Aggies two weeks ago, commented "We'll just have to get another tree." Campus reactions ran the gamut from amusement to annoyance.

itsyourboypookie
Awesome. Just ****ing awesome
VanZandt92
Yeah, actually we did show those commies. (referring to a quote from the Mob guy)
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
quote:
quote:
This was less than 30 years after the end of WWII. I remember my daddy telling me that the worst insult you could throw at someone when he was a kid was to call them a Nazi or a Jap.
I grew up during this time and have never ever heard this story. Your dad made up that story.

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you.

Well, given that he was a kid in a small Texas town during WWII, and a lot of his friends' fathers never made it back home, I'm pretty sure it was true in his experience.
unmade bed
quote:
Wow, bunch of pansy asses in this millennial generation... geez. grow a pair and quit listening to Obama.

quote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told.

quote:
I actually don't think this story is good bull at all. How would you feel if some ******* cut down the century tree?
Little too Harvey Updyke for my liking.

quote:
I'm not really digging that story. Maybe it was a different time, but trespassing and stealing and destroying/desecrating other's traditions isn't really what I think of when I think about what Texas A&M is all about.

quote:
I wonder if OP would have considered it good bull if he had poisoned the trees at Auburn the night after they beat us? I mean they had it coming cuz of the horse collar right? I guess it's too bad someone beat him to it. Would made for a great story I'm sure.

quote:
I've got mixed emotions on this topic. Today cutting a tree down would be deplorable but in the 70's all the SWC schools were snatching mascots or doing other similar things.
Hate this story. Cutting down trees is NOT cool. Neither is poisoning trees. How would any of you feel if the Century Oak was killed by some fool.

quote:
Based upon the article posted previously, that tree was estimated to be 104 years old based upon the rings. I'm not cool that it was cut down. Smacks a little too much of the 'tard who poisoned Toomers Oaks. However, I don't think I'll judge you for something that was done about 40 years ago when things were different. If that happened today though I would be ashamed if the people who did it were Ags.

So who is more of a "pansy ass": (A) a person who is not quick to start e-high fiving a guy for cutting down a tree without the owners permission OR (B) a person that gets their panties in a wad and feelings hurt because a bunch of mean old rice band nerds made a fire hydrant on the field?

I mean, if you want to swing your dick around and act like a bad ass because you think its awesome that OP went and cut down the Rice football team's tree, that's fine. But be a real a bad ass then and don't let some band nerds hurt your feelings by making fun of you.

Also, I'm not directing this at OP, I have no problem with what he posted and I haven't seen him whining about the Rice band like I have seen from posters on this thread and the other MOB threads. In fact from his story, he seemed to have approached the situation very reasonably and did his duty of OD. Also, like I said in my first post, I probably would have done it when I was 20 and I would have thought it was an awesome story as well.
spanky
AG
In all that quoted garbage you couldn't mention goosestepping to a German march in Nazi helmets? Sterling got removed for comparing an NBA franchise to a plantation in privacy, but it's ok to compare the Aggie band to genocidal Nazis in public. **** the MOB
VanZandt92
quote:
So who is more of a "pansy ass": (A) a person who is not quick to start e-high fiving a guy for cutting down a tree without the owners permission OR (B) a person that gets their panties in a wad and feelings hurt because a bunch of mean old rice band nerds made a fire hydrant on the field?

(A)
techno-ag
AG
quote:
unmade bed
quote:
In all that quoted garbage you couldn't mention goosestepping to a German march in Nazi helmets? Sterling got removed for comparing an NBA franchise to a plantation in privacy, but it's ok to compare the Aggie band to genocidal Nazis in public. **** the MOB

found another over sensitive Obama voter for you Annie!

the mean old MOB wore Nazi helmets? someone get the government involved to put a halt to this politically incorrect behavior immediately!!!!!!!!!!!! They have evidently hurt someone's feelings with their actions and this is just not acceptable.
Capt. America
AG
quote:
Also, for every additional post past this one, I am going to cut down a random tree.

Okay, Lungblood, that's 78 trees for you to cut down (not counting your own posts). Better get your Paul Bunyan on!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
spanky
AG
quote:
quote:

found another over sensitive Obama voter for you Annie!

the mean old MOB wore Nazi helmets? someone get the government involved to put a halt to this politically incorrect behavior immediately!!!!!!!!!!!! They have evidently hurt someone's feelings with their actions and this is just not acceptable.

Ha, no need for govt intervention. We'll just chop another random tree down 30 min from campus kind of close to the camp where the old one was around that HEB that sits there now.
Personal Best
AG
You get those mean old owls! You're really showing them.. I'm sure they're pissed about that tree
RTB Ag
AG
This thread and the modern generation.
spanky
AG
That was the thing, the tree didn't mean a thing. All of them were bulldozed later for whole foods
VanZandt92
quote:
That was the thing, the tree didn't mean a thing. All of them were bulldozed later for whole foods

Nothing is sacred when it comes to Rice.

Unmade Bed, do you actually know what the Nazis did?
spanky
AG
They just played a joke on some thin skinned Jews
VanZandt92
I ever tell yall about my tour of Rice and considering going there? Walked across that campus and didn't see a dateable female on the entire 5 acres. Did not visit again.
v1rotate92
AG
quote:
We have been involved in wars since 2001 and I have a difficult time drawing a parallel for something similar that someone would be that offended by today.
But somehow you drew a parallel between WWII and the wars we've fought since 2001. Not even close.
v1rotate92
AG
Just let it go PB...Great story of rivalries back in the day. If you don't like it, STFU and click another thread. We don't give a crap what you think.
annie88
AG
quote:
So who is more of a "pansy ass": (A) a person who is not quick to start e-high fiving a guy for cutting down a tree without the owners permission OR (B) a person that gets their panties in a wad and feelings hurt because a bunch of mean old rice band nerds made a fire hydrant on the field? ...

... found another over sensitive Obama voter for you Annie!

the mean old MOB wore Nazi helmets? someone get the government involved to put a halt to this politically incorrect behavior immediately!!!!!!!!!!!! They have evidently hurt someone's feelings with their actions and this is just not acceptable....

you seem to completely have missed the point of my pansy ass comment as everything you've spewed since then has made no sense. you are arguing the wrong point. but, why am I not surprised?
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Just let it go PB...Great story of rivalries back in the day. If you don't like it, STFU and click another thread. We don't give a crap what you think.

That's the thing though... I do like it!! I'm just making fun of the old people calling millennials *******
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
quote:
This thread and the modern generation.
You (and others) say that, but I GUARANTEE you that if this were the Century Tree we were talking about, you'd want someone's head.

I seem to remember people exploding on here because a couple carved their initials in the Century Tree. I bet some of those people are the same ones calling the young Ags pansies. Its actually funny to me that those who think this is a funny/cool story are considered the "older" Ags. I actually think I would have thought this story was cooler 10 years ago then I do today.

The outrage is all about the prospective from which you see the act. You're an Ag, so its a cool story that happened a long time ago, not surprised.
spanky
AG
Well yeah, the century is actually on campus and means something. Not some random tree at a camp that became an HEB parking lot
techno-ag
AG
This was different from the Century Tree or the Treaty Oak. It's been explained many times. Plus it was doomed to fall to development anyway.
FriscoKid
AG
annie has bigger balls than some out you pansies.

Good bull and great story.
Owlagdad
LOL on 6 page thread about team you should hammer this weekend . This story comes up every year we play. Owls, I guess now, in cost cutting mode , cut out the fancy hotel for in town Friday night homestay. We went to Camp Manison. After crappy food, Conover took us for walk, I guess to give us pregame talk. Everyone was hooting and hollering as well as griping. Conover got pissed and we stopped under this tree, and he bawled us out. Every time after, the team went to that tree. The ball team hated Manison. Going from hotel to nasty camp?? The first time, there were only twin mattresses for 6'3-6'5 guys. Cutting tree was no big deal to team, and if you think it mattered to Rice weanies who hated jocks, and everything in general that was establishment, then you were mistaken. Good bull story though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
LOL on 6 page thread about team you should hammer this weekend . This story comes up every year we play. Owls, I guess now, in cost cutting mode , cut out the fancy hotel for in town Friday night homestay. We went to Camp Manison. After crappy food, Conover took us for walk, I guess to give us pregame talk. Everyone was hooting and hollering as well as griping. Conover got pissed and we stopped under this tree, and he bawled us out. Every time after, the team went to that tree. The ball team hated Manison. Going from hotel to nasty camp?? The first time, there were only twin mattresses for 6'3-6'5 guys. Cutting tree was no big deal to team, and if you think it mattered to Rice weanies who hated jocks, and everything in general that was establishment, then you were mistaken. Good bull story though.

Lungblood
Son of a beetch I gotta lotta pinche trees to cut down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.