Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Halftime as OD and cutting the Rice Victory Tree

45,567 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeon-ag
NE PA Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
the last time I checked, Retaliation was not a core value at Texas A&M

Perhaps not a "core" value, but a we all lived by it as a non-reg on campus in the 80s through various dorm wars, floor wars or simply individual prank battles. I also understand it was fundamental that fish in the corps were considered ignorant of the rules and therefore encouraged to try to get away with as much as they possibly could, usually in retaliation for poor treatment by upperclassmen. Retaliation was constant back then and if you weren't doing it, you were probably an outcast.
Lungblood
quote:

I think there is a difference between a couple kids in college being made fun of for defending their country, and comparing them to Hitler, and an old man that never went to Alabama being offended because someone put a jersey on a Bear Bryant statue.

Thank God somebody sees the distinct difference.
Lungblood
Also, for every additional post past this one, I am going to cut down a random tree.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about y'all cutting down their tree. Definitely a version of the story never told.

I bet you're one of those BQs that kisses everyone's ass and your buddies do not enjoy your company. Please find a redass bone in your body.

I bet you're one of those Ags with a tiny pecker
I don't have to whine and complain about old army stories to make my pecker any bigger, Mr. Millennial. You take yourself way to seriously to lecture someone who sacrificed a lot more and grew up in a much tougher environment than your sniveling azz can even comprehend. Keep showing your backside.
BQ2014
quote:
Also, for every additional post past this one, I am going to cut down a random tree.
jeffk
AG
quote:

Is it really random if you are pre-planning it?
Lungblood
That's 1.
Predmid
AG
And it couldn't be too random, else he'd be flying all over the world (if not universe if there are "trees" elsewhere).
Lungblood
Lungblood
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I really question whether or not he understands what "random" truly means.
BQ2014
quote:
You take yourself way to seriously to lecture someone who sacrificed a lot more and grew up in a much tougher environment than your sniveling azz can even comprehend. Keep showing your backside.

Im so glad the guy "who sacrificed a lot more and grew up in a much tougher environment than [my] sniveling azz can even comprehend" thinks I take myself way too seriously.
combat wombat™
AG
Based upon the article posted previously, that tree was estimated to be 104 years old based upon the rings. I'm not cool that it was cut down. Smacks a little too much of the 'tard who poisoned Toomers Oaks. However, I don't think I'll judge you for something that was done about 40 years ago when things were different. If that happened today though I would be ashamed if the people who did it were Ags.
Lungblood
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
Based upon the article posted previously, that tree was estimated to be 104 years old based upon the rings. I'm not cool that it was cut down. Smacks a little too much of the 'tard who poisoned Toomers Oaks. However, I don't think I'll judge you for something that was done about 40 years ago when things were different. If that happened today though I would be ashamed if the people who did it were Ags.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:
You take yourself way to seriously to lecture someone who sacrificed a lot more and grew up in a much tougher environment than your sniveling azz can even comprehend. Keep showing your backside.

Im so glad the guy "who sacrificed a lot more and grew up in a much tougher environment than [my] sniveling azz can even comprehend" thinks I take myself way too seriously.
You just proved my point. I wasn't even talking about myself, Mr. Millennial.
combat wombat™
AG
I'd change my name to Tree Hugger if it weren't already taken.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Based upon the article posted previously, that tree was estimated to be 104 years old based upon the rings.

I'm sure we've cut and burned older trees for our bonfire. 40 years ago was a different time.

Enjoyed the story regardless!
Froppe
AG
I was a p*sshead BQ at that game. After the game, we tailgated with my parents and some other Old Ags, while patiently "waiting" for our opportunity to visit with the sorry rice b*stards. My dad was Old Army BQ '38, and he was gonna skin a few of those sorry rice b*stards by himself. That was one prime example of 38 years' difference in class years coming together for a common cause. We were quite disappointed when the Houston cops managed to rescue & remove the sorry rice b*stards. I hate rice to this day.
BQ2014
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well then tell me exactly how what I said is complaining about old army? do you think it's really ok for someone to destroy something that others hold dear? That's not the aggie way and you know it.
spanky
AG
GD it, hurricane Ike was gonna take out that Friendswood tree anyway
skins74
AG
Spanky, HEB would have taken out that tree anyway. Their store sits on top of where it was.
DayAg!
S
Different time indeed. I see quite a few of the new army types have given over to the Politically Correct movement. If some of you live to be a hundred, you'll never understand the divide in our country at that time. A&M stood for everything hated at that time in our society by young people with mush for brains and no sense whatsoever of patriotism, whether we should have been in the war or not. Couple that with the fact that the MOB were a bunch of Berkeley wanna be's and you get the picture. Those times people still had a sense of right and wrong when it came to societal endeavors . What Rice did was wrong. And waged war with an indictment on what the Corps actually stood for.

While the guys cutting down the tree may not have been right in their actions, they were right in their meaning of why they did it. A&M hadnt done anything to incite the MOB to do what they did. But they did learn that there were consequences for their actions. Unlike today's society, they payed the price.

But like I said, if you didnt live in that time, you dont know what it was like.

Lungblood
16... Gonna get a 2nd chainsaw
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well then tell me exactly how what I said is complaining about old army? do you think it's really ok for someone to destroy something that others hold dear? That's not the aggie way and you know it.
Good grief--go read DayAg's response about 50 times and it might sink in instead of pissing on everyone's leg about how offended you are that an ag chopped down an effing tree after being called Nazis.
Capt. America
AG
I'm just gonna go ahead and post because I doubt seriously Lungblood is going to cut down this many trees. That's 18 BTW
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
Lungblood
I will too.
AgBQ1994
AG
Rice Article
Capt. America
AG

I also want pics...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
spanky
AG
quote:
Spanky, HEB would have taken out that tree anyway. Their store sits on top of where it was.

Imagine if they built an HEB Pantry on top of the century tree.
Mr. Lahey
AG
great story
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
quote:
The tree was not on the Rice campus. It was at a camp in the then small town of Friendswood called Camp Manison.

I remember hearing this story from a different perspective as a 7-8 year-old kid at a family gathering. My aunt and uncle owned that camp.

musicman55
AG
What DayAg said.

And I was there that day.

The MOB does what they do because they have no money and no talent. When you lack those, the only way you can get anyone to pay any attention to you is to tear down somebody else.

As an old BQ, I always stay and watch the halftime especially when the other school brings their group to Kyle. But not this Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to time my "deposit" in the head when the MOB is on our field which is close to sacrilege in itself.

Some things are beyond forgiveness... like Jane Fonda. And the MOB.
v1rotate92
AG
All of you new "Aggies" must not be attending the same fish camp I attended...Yes retaliation is a core value...It is defined in The Standard on page 92:

"In the event of an attack or a fart-off (ridicule) from an aggressor, Aggies will massively retaliate by using a force disproportionate to the size of the attack. The aim of massive retaliation is to deter an adversary from initially attacking. For such a strategy to work, it must be made public knowledge to all possible aggressors.

The adversary also must believe that Aggies will answer disproportionally in the event of an attack. It must also believe that Aggies are willing to go through with the deterrent threat, which would likely involve the use chainsaws, axes, crowbars, chains, pitchforks, sledgehammers, ice-picks, brass-knuckles, cock-punches, and even explosives. Massive retaliation works on the same principles as mutually assured destruction, with the important caveat that even a minor conventional attack on Aggies could conceivably result in all-out nuclear retaliation."
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
This was less than 30 years after the end of WWII. I remember my daddy telling me that the worst insult you could throw at someone when he was a kid was to call them a Nazi or a Jap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.