Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Halftime as OD and cutting the Rice Victory Tree

45,554 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeon-ag
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Would that be acceptable? It wasn't 40 years ago and it's still unaccpetable today. I would hope a bunch of their trees would be cut down if they pulled a stunt like that...

First two sentences makes sense. Third is idiotic.

You sound like someone justifying the Benghazi attack based on a Youtube video. Punishments should fit the crime.
Personal Best
AG
So when t shirt bama fans do it, it's disgraceful....

But when corps boys do it, it's good bull...

Personally I think both instances are hilarious. Just glad to see the old Ag tradition of double standards is alive and well.
Btron
AG
What does good bull even mean????
Charlie 31
AG
Good bull, skins74. Thanks for sharing. Ol' Army at its finest!

Beat the hell outta Rice!!!!!
BQ2014
If this was so acceptable back in the day, how come the OP was worried about getting kicked out of the Univeristy?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Millennial here. Think its good bull. But then again, I've never been a *****.

I think there is a difference between a couple kids in college being made fun of for defending their country, and comparing them to Hitler, and an old man that never went to Alabama being offended because someone put a jersey on a Bear Bryant statue.
CapCityAg89
AG
Interesting perspective by reading this thread.

I'm not passionate either direction although the 70's were definitely a different time and this is pretty good bull.
SPBA94
AG
RedAss Skins74! I can't believe I have never heard that story. I knew about the tussle with the MOB but did not know about the tree. Funny Stuff.
Capt. America
AG
Good Bull
quote:
Anything that conforms to the traditions of Texas A&M. Members of the Corps of Cadets also use this term to signify approval of virtually anything.

So, this would absolutely be good bull for corps standards. Good to know...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
jimscott85
AG
Great story! This is proof that things have changed. What was once a funny prank could now mean a court date, probation, etc.
HECUBUS
AG
In 1973, if you did something like cutting down that tree in broad daylight, you fully expected to get caught and were prepared to pay the price.

Who knew this guy would start the tree hugger movement? Protesters were still stoned, the war was over and streaking had no future.

Sorry, had a Forrest Gump flashback.

agnerd
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:Would that be acceptable? It wasn't 40 years ago and it's still unaccpetable today. I would hope a bunch of their trees would be cut down if they pulled a stunt like that...

You're right. No need to harm innocent trees. It would be better if people just started beating up band members...
OleAg65
AG
The Rice tree was good bull and appropriate for the times. Way earlier, the t.u. Longhorn was stolen barbecued and served to a t.u. Group with an informative mid-meal announcement. I was in school the year of the mascots roundup. By the time we got close to Turkey day, the anticipation was palpable on whether Bevo could be "borrowed". Then one night in the early morning, the Corps Quad came alive as a pickup truck with a livestock trailer containing Bevo made several circles inside the Quad before heading off to a secure location. The next morning the papers said the Texas Rangers had been called out about this case of rustling. To show how progressive the Ags had become, Bevo was not barbecued and was eventually returned unharmed.

Now all you new age sensitive Ag wussies can moan some more.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:Would that be acceptable? It wasn't 40 years ago and it's still unaccpetable today. I would hope a bunch of their trees would be cut down if they pulled a stunt like that...

You're right. No need to harm innocent trees. It would be better if people just started beating up band members...

False dilemma is false.
Personal Best
AG
Johnny manziel drinks and has a good time: old ags call his actions deplorable and cast judgments down on him, new army generally supports his actions as living in the times.

Bunch of old corps boys steal a bunch of stuff in the 60's and 70's, destroy private property... Old ags see good bull, living in the times.

Round and round we go on this board.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Johnny manziel drinks and has a good time: old ags call his actions deplorable and cast judgments down on him, new army generally supports his actions as living in the times.

Bunch of old corps boys steal a bunch of stuff in the 60's and 70's, destroy private property... Old ags see good bull, living in the times.

You forgot the part where one band made fun of our students 35 years ago and *gasp* interrupted our band's performance.
DevilD77
AG
quote:

Don't know about all old Ags, but the ones I know have no problem with Johnny's fun. It's mainly non-Ags who come down on him.
ISEN AG
AG
quote:
Go ahead and flame on me if you want, but the last time I checked, Retaliation was not a core value at Texas A&M.

I'M TIRED OF LOSING OUR TRADITIONS AND CORE VALVUES..... ITS TIME TO BRING THIS ONE BACK.
HECUBUS
AG
Entertaining thread morphs into circular argument with no basis in reality.

Da Zoo.

OldAg68
AG
Good Bull!!

New Army is way too sensitive.
ArmyAg97
AG
Good grief some of you are soft.

Put down your latte and get out of the checkout line at whole foods.
spaceaggie1975
AG
I was attending A&M that year. Even as a Non-Reg, rice became a bigger enemy than tu. The hatred for rice was very intense at that time. Even some 2%ers were thrilled that someone had cut their tree down. There were articles in the papers about the 100 year old spirit tree that someone had cut down. I even remember the rice flag above the end-zone stands was flown upside-down. Yes it was good bull. I have to admit it was one of my best memories I have.
tford12
AG
This thread
ahlongslide
Saint Arnold
AG
quote:
quote:
I actually don't think this story is good bull at all. How would you feel if some ******* cut down the century tree?

Doncha' know? Ags rule at hypocrisy.

Done to us: bad bull, no class, must be commies.

Do same thing to them: good bull, all in fun, yay us!
spanky
AG
Wouldn't the century tree need to be located at some random park in Bryan for this to be a valid comparison?
techno-ag
AG
Awesome story OP! Given the chance I'd take a turn on the saw today.
sleepybeagle
AG
newspaper article

Not sure if this has been posted or not.
lb3
AG
HeadGames
AG
Good Bull!
My uncle is class of 77, he has told me this story before.

People don't realize that it was a different time in the 70's.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I actually don't think this story is good bull at all. How would you feel if some ******* cut down the century tree?

Doncha' know? Ags rule at hypocrisy.

Done to us: bad bull, no class, must be commies.

Do same thing to them: good bull, all in fun, yay us!
Have you stopped voting for Obama yet?
TexAg75
AG
Hate this story. Cutting down trees is NOT cool. Neither is poisoning trees. How would any of you feel if the Century Oak was killed by some fool.
jeffk
AG
Or the Ticket Oak?!?!?!
spanky
AG
Or an oak at some park not on campus in another city like Friendswood
BaileyAg
AG
loved the story...thanks for posting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.