Story Poster
Photo by Stewart Wade
Texas A&M Football

A&M presented with Bear Bryant's original contract

April 8, 2014

It’s common knowledge that Paul “Bear” Bryant coached Texas A&M for four seasons in the 1950s.

Now, it can be common knowledge what Bryant was compensated to coach the Aggies.

Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp at a press conference on Tuesday unveiled the original contracts Bryant signed to become Texas A&M’s football coach in 1954. The documents included an agreement to pay Bryant $15,000 per year plus one percent of the gate for football games. Also included was a deed to a house that Bryant also received.

The documents, dated April 11, 1954, were given to Sharp by former A&M Controller Robert Smith, Class of ’58.

“These are the actual blue book copies,” Sharp said. “There were no other copies. It’s the original deed to the house. I’m surprised somebody had the blue book copies.

We will take care of these until we’re able to display them in the Hall of Champions. Texas A&M is extremely fortunate to be associated with such a great coach and a great man. - A&M Interim President Mark Hussey {"Module":"quote","Alignment":"left","Quote":"We will take care of these until we’re able to display them in the Hall of Champions. Texas A\u0026M is extremely fortunate to be associated with such a great coach and a great man.","Author":"A\u0026M Interim President Mark Hussey"}
“I think Robert was rummaging through some stuff and found them. That part is pretty rare.”

The framed documents will be displayed in the Hall of Champions in the new Kyle Field.

The press conference included remarks from Board of Regents Chairman Phil Adams, Interim A&M President Dr. Mark Hussey, Texas A&M Football Coach Kevin Sumlin and A&M football legend John David Crow, the only Heisman Trophy recipient coached by Bryant.

“I’ve always said we were blessed that we were on his pathway to absolute legendary status,” Adams said.

Added Hussey: “We will take care of these until we’re able to display them in the Hall of Champions. Texas A&M is extremely fortunate to be associated with such a great coach and a great man.

“These items are a constant reminder of Coach Bryant’s proud influence on Texas A&M University.”

Bryant’s first team at Texas A&M was made up of the famous “Junction Boys” who endured a grueling 10-day preseason summer camp which resulted in the majority of the players quitting the team.

That ’54 team finished just 1-9, but the ’55 team was 7-2-1. In ’56 the Aggies finished 9-0-1 and won A&M’s first Southwest Conference championship in 25 years. The next season A&M was ranked No. 1 in the nation after eight games. However, rumors surfaced that Bryant would be leaving to accept the same position at Alabama.

Perhaps distracted by those rumors, the Aggies lost their final three games and finished ninth in the Associated Press poll.

The previous year A&M finished fifth in the AP poll. The Aggies did not manage another top-five national finish until Sumlin’s 2012 team finished fifth.

“When you look at what’s going on with the tradition and the history of the football program … when you associate the name Paul 'Bear' Bryant with that, it doesn’t get any bigger than that,” Sumlin said.
Discussion from...

14,318 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by joefix93
Olin Buchanan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
S
jwyatt22
OilFieldIRI
evinoblanco
aggie67,74&76
tbirdspur2010
AgGeo01
coupland boy
AG
Cool. maybe we can in some small way grab some attention from the success of a coach everyone but us associates solely with Alabama.

I'll get ridiculed for that and maybe a bit justifiably but i look forward to the day we have a full blown Aggie version of Bear Bryant.
Lungblood
^ You might wanna hold on to your ass for the next few years.
coupland boy
AG
Yep. I'm aware.
bigag62
AG
Too many forget that the Bear coached at A&M before he coached at Alabama......
BaileyAg
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Too many forget that the Bear coached at A&M before he coached at Alabama......

So?
chigger
AG
I have to agree with coupland. I don't understand the obsession with him. I never hear UK mention Bear Bryant and he was there a lot longer than he was here. The Junction Boys story is a good one, but I think we should just leave it at that. I never remember hearing anything about Bryant when I was in school in the 90's.
FtBendTxAg
AG
UK doesn't mention him because their not sure which sport he coached.
Noble07
AG
If Sumlin wins a bunch of titles here should U of H put Sumlin's old contract on display?
Bose Ikard
Bear did things here that deserve to be remembered, and that fact is true regardless of what happened in other places that he coached. UF does stuff to remember Spurrier's tenure, too.
The Professor
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
UF does stuff to remember Spurrier's tenure, too.

That isn't even a remotely accurate comparison.

Steve Spurrier spent 12 seasons at UF

Won a MNC, and played for another
Six SEC championships
SEC coach of the year five times

They weren't even really that good until he began his tenure.

Not to mention he played at Florida and won a Heisman.

So yeah, they probably do stuff to remember him.

If Sumlin becomes a legendary coach here like we all hope, henry's comparison is correct. It would be like UH putting his contract on display.

Bear did some good things here, but it's kinda pathetic how much we try and benefit from milking his accomplishments at Alabama.
12mn95
AG
It's pathetic that we try to gain some connection to Bryant's success somewhere else. Celebrate our own coaches not someone who did great somewhere else. The UH comparison about Sumlin here doing great things is spot on. We would make fun of UH for doing that.
BeveledAg
Red Bryant. Aggie legend
joefix93
AG
I remember seeing the movie "The Bear" back in 1984. They supposedly had Gene Stallings as a "technical advisor" for accuracy.

The movie showed several of the "Junction Boys" sneaking out of the facilities under the cover of night because they couldn't take it - and Bear sitting in the darkness smoking a cigar, watching them leave.

The character who played Bear (Gary Busey) commentated over some of the scenes, one of which was when the football team won the SWC championship and the university gave him a zippo. Apparently, the basketball coach was well-liked, but didn't do so well as a coach - they bought him a new Cadillac.

TL;DR, I know - but the movie basically portrayed him as someone who didn't hold Texas A&M in very high regard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.