Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Aggie Flashback with Hugh McElroy

November 19, 2013

Key quotes from Hugh McElroy

"I thought I wanted to go to Ohio State for school my junior year. It was decided for me that I might want to consider A&M."

"Getting to speak with players that committed to Texas A&M because of what I was able to do, was definitely humbling."

"Playing LSU brings back memories and I'm looking forward to us kicking butt this weekend."

"[LSU and A&M] could be one of the SEC's greatest rivalries"

"If [Johnny Manziel] acted the way people wanted him to off the field, he wouldn't be the same player on the field."

"If we had the season we had last year, in the Big 12, we wouldn't be having the kind of conversation we're having now. And we sure wouldn't be talking about a possible second Heisman trophy winner."
Discussion from...

Hugh McElroy...tackling civil rights, football in '70s

10,889 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by 89Ag4Ever
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Flashback with Hugh McElroy
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Outstanding interview, guys. Great stories, too. That, my friends, is a true Texas Aggie. I'll have to look him up next time I'm on campus.
powerbiscuit
Outstanding
Aggie1205
ham98
wtr1975
AG
Whoa -- does that bring back memories!!!!!!

HUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aggie12B
AG
Great interview.

AGGIE12B
JC '88
If you value the Freedom and Liberties you have in your life, be sure to Thank a Veteran everyday!
Digby
This was a great interview! I remember listening to the game on the radio and the crowd was so loud, and then it went totally silent after he scored. All the students on campus were chanting, "Hugh! Hugh! Hugh!" I wish I could see a video clip of that play
Farmers Fight83
AG
I really enjoyed listening to Mr. McEllroy. Great interview guys. Gig'em!
Moe 92
AG
I've seen coach's film of that LSU game, and it was awesome. It was my dad's first start as well (fullback Doug Neill, who Hugh mentions towards the end of this interview). I'll probably see the '70 game again Saturday as part of the mini-reunion Hugh talks about. I wish Hugh was going to be there. I'd love to meet him some day.

Here's the photo of Hugh with the game ball that they discuss towards the beginning of the interview:
89Ag4Ever
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.