Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arent you glad these committees didnt win?

8,011 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by DustysLineup
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

(MORE)

Maureen Turk and Nancy Nielson were the first women to study nuclear engineering at A&M. When Nielson graduated in 1970, she was the first woman since the Hutson twins to complete a course of study in engineering and the first ever to receive a degree in the field. Turk graduated in 1972

In 1971, 1,767 women were enrolled. Four years later the number had climbed to 7,182 and by 1980 nearly doubled to 12,207.

(caption this)

Champion golfer Brenda Goldsmith signed with A&M in 1973 and was thus the first female athlete recruited by the school. There was not an official women’s golf team, however, because the Southwest Conference prohibited competition among women. Goldsmith instead “represented” A&M at tournaments and other competitions. Through the late ’60s and early ’70s women’s athletics were limited to “club sports” status and could not begin in earnest until the rules of the SWC were changed.

Roxie Pranglin, shown here leading W-1 in the 1977 Kansas march-in, was the first female cadet to lead a unit who had also served all four years in the Corps.

Coeducation also led to the end of some traditions. In 1970, A&M coeds were allowed to compete for the title of “Aggie Sweetheart” for the first time. Since 1938, when the tradition began, this honor had been reserved for a “Tessie,” the Aggie name for students at TWU. In 1971, Carolyn Haley was the first Aggie to compete for the title. In 1972, Becky Upham (pictured) became the first Aggie “Aggie Sweetheart.” She was also the last as the tradition was discontinued the next year.

Off_The_Wood
AG
quote:
Cadets Boo Rudder Over Coeds Admission

You mean Old Army....booed something?!?! Impossible!
jeffk
AG
New Army - Going to Hell since 1876.
Sandman98
AG
This thread
BillOnCapitolHill
Trailblazing Oven Technology?

[This message has been edited by BillOnCapitolHill (edited 7/26/2013 12:47p).]
MosesRAB-93
AG
My father in law (class of 66) was on that committee. (My wife is class of 94.) I asked him, "after four years of an all male college, you were AGAINST allowing women to come?" His response: "I'll admit now I was horribly misguided then, and A&M would not be what it is today if we had won."
suburban cowboy
AG
And now there are hunnies EVERYWHERE
McGibblets
AG
So is lukin affected by this or not?
Bass to Mouth
The BLT.. We can rebuild it...We have the technology.
AAM02
AG
For an intriguing post. Well done sir.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Dp- phone issues

[This message has been edited by Ftbendtxag (edited 7/26/2013 1:28p).]
FtBendTxAg
AG
Damn, Maureen and Nancy.. Not bad.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Wood

Wipey
AG
So this means booing is old army
njsienk
AG
quote:
Trailblazing Oven Technology?

The Collective
AG
Rule 1 compliant
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
So this means booing is old army
ArchAg10
AG
"Hotties are not allowed in the zoo"
#1964 mentality

[This message has been edited by Archag10 (edited 7/26/2013 1:52p).]
chipotle
booing
Houston2011
http://annawrites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/wookie.jpg

This is more like the female engineering students I ran into when I was in school.
Benny_the_Jet
AG
Silly woman... golf is for men

http://archiveexhibits.library.tamu.edu/womenhistory/images/1970/BrendaGoldsmith.jpg
Bitter Old Man
AG
We've come a long way, Ags.

Slother93
AG
Please add the Itty Bitty Titty Committee to the OP. Thanks.
CorpsAg11
AG
Quality thread
oldschoolcat
AG
Definitely not representative of engineering chicks.
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:
This is the one thing I have against female dance team or cheerleaders.......being embarrassed by all the numbskulls that would boo them (or hiss them). When we do finally do it, I think I'll skip inviting any non-Aggies to games until the boos get shaken out.

When (not if) this happens, I'll bet you a nickel the cheers drown out the boos.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. – Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TexasAggiesWin
S
I love when others claim things as traditions that really are not traditions (i.e. not booing, drummer boy entrance).
Brock Sampson
AG
Bull sheet like this is why I can't wait to leave the agricultural and mechanical school of texas... Whenever that may be.
BaileyAg
AG
great post
A Person
AG
So.....letting women attend A&M is the same thing as asking them to dance around on the sidelines so a bunch of old men can have something to stare at? Duly noted
thats what I do
AG
Blue star for the OP.
Brock Sampson
AG
quote:
So.....letting women attend A&M is the same thing as asking them to dance around on the sidelines so a bunch of old men can have something to stare at? Duly noted

Ya only old men will be looking. Good one
GCRanger
AG
Boobs!
oldvalleyrat
AG
quote:
My father in law (class of 66) was on that committee. (My wife is class of 94.) I asked him, "after four years of an all male college, you were AGAINST allowing women to come?" His response: "I'll admit now I was horribly misguided then, and A&M would not be what it is today if we had won."

I am class of 66 and have to agree that I was very mistaken about this issue. My daugher is class of 94. Just goes to show that young folks aren't always as forward looking as they should be.

colekicker
AG
Okay, so how did the sweetheart thing get killed? I see this as the future Miss America pageant! A legitimate reason for all the hotties to get in bikinis and show off on stage!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.