Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

283,845 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
this is easily one of the best programs that a&m offers its freshmen

if this is true, a&m as we knew it is long gone.
King of the North
AG
Neon=greek. I was a Fish Camp counselor for three years, never had a neon article of clothing.

[This message has been edited by King of the North (edited 6/27/2013 2:24p).]
The Collective
AG
quote:
Neon=greek. In Fish Camp counselor for three years, never had a neon article of clothing.

Truthfully, neon = FLO
Bunk Moreland
girls in neon tanks= some greek some not

Neon at football games=FLO's.

hth.

[This message has been edited by Bunk Moreland (edited 6/27/2013 2:25p).]
Aldo the Apache
AG
Was in a FLO. Never owned any neon clothing. Stereotypes gonna stereotype
Bunk Moreland
don't give 2 ****s. Either you go to the games and see them doing their best to stand out in the sea of maroon with their neon or you don't. Neon at football games are FLO's.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
There are many memorials to many fallen Ags on our whole campus. Bonfire memorial is only one, and it's not any more special than the others. Just my opinion.

This is the actual location where a dozen Aggies died or sustained injuries that led to their death. A dozen more had injuries that have caused them years or pain, to lose a limb, etc.

This is a special memorial. And people that post on Texags witnessed those deaths and witnessed those injuries.
Al Bula
AG
Fish camp bad
Would smash girl with ass hanging out
Doesn't make it right
The Devil
We have a similar program to Fish Camp for orientation and meeting new people. They also have to wear neon and dress like retards but that's because I make them.
CLB2008
AG
doesnt have to be NEON even. wearing a non-neon blue/green/orange/etc to an aggie football game, so your section or even you and your FLO friend stick out in the crowd, still makes FLO's dumb. hey, look at me, im in a FLO!!!
jtnelson16
AG
quote:

Only one way to settle this...Greeks vs FLO's vs fish camp in an all out brawl! Winner can wear their neon wherever/whenever they want
Frosty46
AG
RHaggie

If it got you so plugged in why did you have to create a sock?

[This message has been edited by Frosty46 (edited 6/27/2013 2:29p).]
Ian Neff
AG
I've done worse. Regrettably. Didn't take any pictures and show them to the world, though.
At least I've got that to say for the ridiculous, idiotic stuff I did when I was the center of the universe.

[This message has been edited by Ian Neff (edited 6/27/2013 3:56p).]
Sandman98
AG
The Internet will prove to provide the heaviest punishment available to these kids.

For example, that last kid will forever have that pose and facial expression on the Internet. His kids may see that some day. Can you imagine a greater humiliation?

Their first memory of their time at A&M will be of the outrage they created.

Scary how a really stupid and immature mistake can live forever.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
Some of these opinions concerning the organization's motives are shallow at best. While some of that behavior may go on in such a large group of young people, this is easily one of the best programs that a&m offers its freshmen. I know it got me plugged in and opened my eyes to a world of service and leadership opportunities at the school last year and it does the same for many others.

Most of these opinions come from first hand experiences with fish camp or the counselors. These photos, if they are in fact fish camp, only reinforce the way people feel about fish camp.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
I just don't understand the ignorance. It's your duty as fish camp counselors to know, understand, and spread the Aggie traditions. No tradition hits home harder than the Bonfire Memorial. I don't care what year the participants were, even upcoming sophomores. You were on campus for a full year and that's plenty of time to know by now the significance of that structure and what it means to A&M and Aggies everywhere.

I think a permanent removal is unlikely with fish camp coming up soon, but it's an appropriate punishment. What a disgrace. "I didn't know" is not a valid excuse due to what the organization is and what is supposedly stands for.
The Collective
AG
quote:
There are many memorials to many fallen Ags on our whole campus. Bonfire memorial is only one, and it's not any more special than the others. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, they are not even close to being the same as other memorials. Take the MSC, for example, it's a building dedicated as a memorial, but it's purpose is to serve as a gathering place for Aggies. There is protocol to respect those memorialized (remove your hat), but it is a place for students to exist and live their lives. Bonfire Memorial is built for a very specific purpose... to remember those who perished from that event. You know, the individuals mentioned on the portal right where these people are posing for their ludicrous pictures.
AggieEE
AG
quote:
quote:

Just because 26 members of a 1000 member organization did something stupid shouldn't indict the organization as a whole.

2%ers!

Technically 2.6%
bkcoody12
One of my facebook friends was the one who took them. She is not personally a member of FC, but she took them for her younger brother who is. She uploaded them a few hours ago, and the caption included something about them being their FC family pics.
BradC34
AG
Bad bull
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
One of my facebook friends was the one who took them. She is not personally a member of FC, but she took them for her younger brother who is. She uploaded them a few hours ago, and the caption included something about them being their FC family pics.

No link, no proof.

/fish camp lovers
ThatGuy05
For those of us who knew people on Stack at 0242 18NOV99, there's literally no excuse for these photographs. There's literally no excuse for them thinking this was appropriate. This is 100% intentional disrespect.

Twelve Aggies lost their lives, and their parents, families and friends were left with gaping holes in their lives.

One of my friends is just now, thirteen and a half years later, beginning to walk again after injuries sustained that night.

Do they need to be removed from Fish Camp leadership positions? Immediately. They have no business influencing others with behavior like this. Removed from the University? Not at all.

Effing New Army.
chipotle
she?
duffelpud
AG
I attended Fish Camp as an incoming fish in 1983. The "counselors" in my cabin were interested in one thing - hooking up with dumb, new, fish chicks and nothing else.

It doesn't sound like much has changed.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Wow. . . talk about insensitive. . . Still need proof though this is Fish Camp before we axe some heads seeing as the witch hunt has already begun.

[This message has been edited by JCRebel13 (edited 6/27/2013 2:41p).]
bkcoody12
She has since taken the pics off. I do know her name, as well as her brother's, whose FC this is.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
quote:

I dare you to say that to the parents whose child is represented by that Memorial. If you don't think the Bonfire Memorial is more special, then I encourage you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7yJWxq93U

If you still feel the same way after watching that clip then I don't know what to tell you. Taking these pictures is a disgrace to what the Memorial stands for.
ArmyAg13
I agree with jdcook100, most of these opinions on here are valid because somehow and someway most people who have gone to A&M have gone to/been in/ interacted with some form of fish camp. Since most of them are negative its safe to assume fish camp has lost touch with what it's supposed to do and needs to make a change.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
This is 100% intentional disrespect.

You lost me here. Is it possible that they just aren't very thoughtful and aware?
DuckHunter203
AG
First off, this is horrid taste and judgement displayed here by these photos. Bonfire Memorial is a sacred, sentimental place to show our respects to those that lost their lives. It should not be a place for 'cute, funny, humorous' photos, which is what they were going for. I really find it disheartening that not one person thought, 'This probably isn't the best place for this, I should say something.' The organization is supposed to bring in good people who are LEADERS with good morals, values, love for A&M, goals in life, and strive to make freshmen transitioning easier. I think leadership was very poorly shown, a LEADER would have said something.

With that being said, I was a counselor in the organization a couple times (yea, setting myself up for getting ragged on, I know, just trying to bring a level-headed response). Fish Camp definitely has over-the-top, obnoxious, crude people in the organization. That does not mean that everybody in the organization is like that, though. I agree with whoever brought up the point about not grouping every single person into the problem. Obviously FC isn't at A&M to try to bring down the image of the University we all hold so dear to our hearts. I know that some of the best people I've met in my life are people I've met through the organization (sure, say I was in it for that reason, whatever). There are tons of great people at A&M, and some just happen to like Fish Camp, it's what happens when there's 50,000 undergrads. People who strive to bring excellence and instill our values into incoming freshmen is what Fish Camp is really about. As a former member, I am very disappointed that a SMALL PERCENTAGE did these irreverent, irresponsible actions are such a place of magnitude. Yet, a very large percentage of the organization realize the sacredness of Bonfire Memorial, not saying these people don't, but their actions can lead you to think otherwise.

Tl;dr: Craptastic idea and even poorer taste/judgement in going through with the pictures. Somebody needed to have at least a slight idea that it was moronic. Not all people in the organization are like that, don't let a some people bring down others who have worked hard to make it a good organization.
gig them
AG
quote:
For those of us who knew people on Stack at 0242 18NOV99, there's literally no excuse for these photographs. There's literally no excuse for them thinking this was appropriate. This is 100% intentional disrespect.

No. No it isn't. It's stupid, insensitive, and very poorly thought out... but calling it intentional disrespect is asinine.

[This message has been edited by gig them (edited 6/27/2013 2:40p).]
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

1. You're blindingly ignorant.
2. No memorial to the fallen is an appropriate spot for cheeky (in one case literally "cheeky") photos.

I'm stunned anyone thought this was appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Harry Lime (edited 6/27/2013 2:40p).]
northsidegreek06
AG
quote:
quote:

Only one way to settle this...Greeks vs FLO's vs fish camp in an all out brawl! Winner can wear their neon wherever/whenever they want

Only neon I remember was CARPOOL.
FTA011
AG
quote:
Wow. . . talk about insensitive. . . Still need proof though this is T Camp before we axe some heads seeing as the witch hunt has already begun

pretty sure no-one said this was T-Camp
McInnis 03
AG
Hallowed ground.

If you were there at 3am that morning wanting to help you wouldn't be making yourself look like a fool in digital format.

If you were friends with the family of the arch namesake you disgraced, you wouldn't make a fool of yourself like that.

You enter those grounds with respect, observe them with respect, and leave them with respect. To do anything else is less than tasteless and you really need to do some introspective searching.

You don't dance in the graveyard and you certainly don't make yourself look like an Ass at the Bonfire Memorial.

[This message has been edited by McInnis 03 (edited 6/27/2013 2:45p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.