Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

283,250 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
CEPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BradC34
AG
quote:
quote:
Pretty likely the Batt will have an article and two columns in Friday's paper. If not, I am disappoint.

Batt editor here. First time posting, so bear with me.

We don't print on Friday's during the summer, but we're working on an article to go online as soon as possible.

Thanks and Gig 'Em. And if anyone wants to submit a guest column, feel free. (Shameless plug, I know.)

My comment was fairly tongue-in-cheek. I wrote for and was a sports editor for the Batt back in school. Never let a heated TexAgs topic go to waste.
Pierce County Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pretty likely the Batt will have an article and two columns in Friday's paper. If not, I am disappoint.

Batt editor here. First time posting, so bear with me.

We don't print on Friday's during the summer, but we're working on an article to go online as soon as possible.

Thanks and Gig 'Em. And if anyone wants to submit a guest column, feel free. (Shameless plug, I know.)

Should we expect an editorial saying it is time for these Fish Camp counselors to go just like Johnny?

This.
ConfidentAg
AG
TheBattonLine,

Let the world know that ConfidentAg is dissapointed.
Well-E
quote:
Is this the longest thread in TA history?

Loled

Not sure if serious
spadilly
S
For those wondering how much attention this would receive, it was in the first block of stories on the Houston news tonight at 10:00. (ABC-13)

They showed the pictures and showed a computer with the thread on it.
Showed the FC Director apology and said he would be reaching out to the families.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 6/27/2013 10:25p).]
AgBQ-00
AG
I have been lurking for over a decade and simply reading all of the crazy that happens here. These pics cannot go without comment. These kids have no understanding of the Aggie Spirit. It is disgusting that they will be the ones to introduce the incoming class to the Aggie Family. None of them deserve that honor. To take these photos in a place where 12 Ags died is reprehensible. As a former student who was there within minutes of the collapse I am ashamed that these students don't understand the significance of that place. We all watched and helped as we could as victims were pulled from the stack. I remember seeing one aggie broken in half directing rescuers away from himself so they could get to others who were trapped. The very least that needs to happen is the students lose their positions. They are a disgrace.
outlaw96
AG
They should know better. Terrible.
FtnTXAg03
AG
quote:

No. Want to see one that's longer than this?

---
Gallery on fb, twitter
nosoupforyou
AG
Disappointing for sure
hatchback
AG
quote:
quote:

Everyone of those counselors should read through that thread.
agproducer
AG
spadilly-

I'm glad they did something with it on the news. it makes me sick. I had to top them about it. the collapse was one of the first major news stories I helped cover. my heart still hurts over it. these pictures are entirely disrespectful. I just can't believe Aggies who preach traditions to incoming fish would think this was a good idea.
BQ92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Everyone of those counselors should read through that thread.

The shame is that they are telling incoming fish what an Aggie should be and do. Disgusted
Barnacle
AG
You would think that a core part of Fish Camp would be some kind of Bonfire remembrance...every incoming fish needs to know what happened that day. Fish Camp doesn't have to be "Fear Factor" 24 hours a day.

Edit: perhaps having a current interview with one of the survivors would also be a great aspect to include at all Fish Camps.

[This message has been edited by Barnacle (edited 6/27/2013 10:40p).]
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I find this one of the most offensive things I have seen Aggies do. Words do not express the hurt. I wrote extensive articles for Texags during that time that covered the shock and pain we in the Aggie family all shared.

First, is there NO training program for the fish camp leaders?

Second, is there no supervision?

Third, a "sorry" does not fix something this broken. Resignations and some sort of community service that relates to this project, perhaps raising money for a building to display all the memorials. or for increasing the funding in the memorial scholarships for some of the lost ones?

And even that will never erase the insult.
Jeffersons Ghost
quote:
First, is there NO training program for the fish camp leaders?

I can't picture any student organization adding a "Don't climb over the Bonfire memorial" to their training programs.
bigbass1170
AG
Fish camp.
tgray99
AG
It was very mature & responsible for the FCC Director to apologize on behalf of these people but the Co-Chairs are the ones who need to step forward & take responsibility for this immense fu€k up. Ben Cadena didn't plan this or orchestrate it, the co-chairs of this camp did. Let them take the heat.
SpiralAg
People associated with fish camp.
LoneStar13
AG
I used to drive by the Memorial every morning to park for classes. Usually it was early in the morning where occasionally the fog lingered around making it look so peaceful and majestic but at the same time do eerie knowing what took place in that very location. Everytime I hear or think of Bonfire I get goose bumps and I never see that fading because what it means to me. Seeing those pictures of students who should know the history of Bonfire and what it means to us just makes me sick and appalled. Even my mother who attended OSU was appalled when I showed her the pictures. She even understands how much it means to us and she even cried the day it fell. Now do I think these students should be expelled, no. After reading comments I agree with the people that say they need to sit down with family members of the 12. Let them see the heartache and emotions these people experience by just seeing the Memorial without anyone do anything to it. And I think an in person apology will mean much more than a letter or speech.
Sentinel
AG
What is this FCC crap people are referencing? This is Fish Camp not the Federal Communications Commission.
AgMedic02
AG
@Ag3478:

quote:
There are a lot of people involved in fish camp that are bettering this university, to those of you that sit on TexAgs and insult them, what have you done for Texas A&M?

I spent my time responding to YOUR 911 calls for medical help, including the one placed at 2:42am on November 18, 1999. I spent 8 hours pulling the dead bodies of 12 of my friends, classmates, and buddies out of the last Aggie Bonfire to ever be built, followed by re-living it via nightmares and flashbacks for the next few years. I have managed to control my emotions when I drive past, but I sob like a baby every time I walk into the memorial. And to this day, I can't look at the faces of two of the deceased because the image burned into my mind is as they were that night. It is an image that has haunted me for 14 years, and will for the rest of my life, and would likely make you vomit.

Your move, Ace.
Brick Tamland
quote:
Not surprised, sad really.
Hallowed ground to playground in three generations of Ags.

The only thing worse than lumping all of FC into what they did, is involving the current generation of Ags into what they did. You're a dumbass if you don't think that the current generation is every bit as redass as yours. The acts of a few does not define an entire group of people, just like the texags football board isn't a representative of all Aggie football fans. That is just an asenine comment.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Tim Kerlee was good friends with my roommate. They went to HS together and then came from TN. Thanks for reposting that thread.

Here.

[This message has been edited by Bitter old man (edited 6/27/2013 10:52p).]
Pignorant
AG
quote:
People associated with fish camp.

So 1200 Aggies deserve a thumbs down?
turkishAg
AG
AgMedic just won.

On a more serious note, I can tell you're an awesome Aggie and human being in that one paragraph you wrote. Thanks for what you do and I hope I can buy you a beer one day.
74Ag1
AG
quote:
Bunch of rooster-sucking flamers! Someone ought to curb stomp those idiots!

John Comstock was the last survivor pulled out of the bonfire. I did not know him personally, but was close with one of his family friends.

So I went with my buddy to the hospital. I sat there and watched his step-dad try to be strong for everyone else. I watched his little sister cry her head off. I saw there and suffered with a whole lot of good Aggies!

...and thankfully he pulled through, although he lost both legs and is probably still in a wheelchair.

Granted even back then fish camp counselors tended to be a little light in the loafers, but what the f---- is wrong with our University that any motherf---er would think it was ok to take the bonfire memorial lightly.

If bowtie and any of the other political pus--es in the tower have any ballz, they bring the hammer down!

I had friends get kicked out of the corps for far less sh-- than that!

I dont apologize for any of this! Go ahead and ban me! Those little punks and their perky stupid bimbos all ought to be suspended for a semester, and only reinstated until they write 12 apology letters- one to each family that lost someone!

I'd do more than that if I was Bowtie.
I would tell em that they will never receive a degree from TAMU. 12 Aggies died that will never receive degrees either. They disrespected their memories, their families that loved them and fellow Aggies.
spadilly
S
producer,
I wondered if you talked to them about it. No fun to see, but I thought the story was done fairly and accurate
DustysLineup
AG
Brick Tamland, have you posted anything on this board in months that wasn't a flame in reaction to other posters? No one forces you to read this board or react to it.

You spent more time over a series of weeks bashing one single poster than most people here have on Fish Camp.

[This message has been edited by Harry Lime (edited 6/27/2013 10:57p).]
Jeffersons Ghost
quote:
I would tell em that they will never receive a degree from TAMU

he totally has legal authority to do that!
aggie714
AG
I don't understand the argument that they didn't know what they were doing. I didn't go to FC, but aren't they there to teach the next class the traditions of our university? And doesn't that include bonfire/bonfire memorial?
AB2
AG
AgMedic - that's astounding. I was trapped under for ~1.5 hours. I'm guessing you were with me at some point. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Ab2 (edited 6/27/2013 11:01p).]
aggiegirlalways
It would be false to say that there isn't anything wrong with these photos. But there is also something wrong with the response of our fellow Aggies. Being a Fish Camp counselor, I do believe this was a mistake and should have not been done because it is disrespectful. Yet, considering the people in this photo are fellow Aggies, myself and many other members of Fish Camp apologize on their behalf and understand that their behavior was not to create potential harm. It wasn't thought through, it was disrespectful, yet we still will not down grade our fellow Aggies for something that they understand was a mistake. Action should be taken, but is it right to talk down to the organization as a whole? Mistakes are made by everyone, some worse than others, but as Aggies we have learned respect and have learned to uphold our values. We call ourselves a family, yet if you scroll through some of the comments on this page it is horrid to read some of the things people have to say. If you want others to uphold their values, then you should definitely uphold your own.
Bunk Moreland
this thread needs to be locked...for the sake of all involved.
Charlie 31
AG
These Fish Camp counselors need to be removed from their roles and replaced immediately. There is no excuse for this very bad judgment on their part. Michael Ebanks was the little brother of my late Newman Smith '85 and Texas A&M '85 good friend Keith Ebanks, whose surviving sister and family as well as parents are now retired in College Station. How appalling for them to see those pictures of these ignorant "counselors" making seductive and ignorant pictures at the Bonfire Memorial.

Fish Camp leadership, this is YOUR responsibility. Fire these counselors NOW and remove them from your questionable organization...

:-(

[This message has been edited by MK BQ 89 (edited 6/27/2013 11:17p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.