Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fish Camp Disgraces Bonfire Memorial!!!

284,135 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
fireinthehole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are not pieces of ****. They did do a very stupid and disrespectful thing. Completely thoughtless thing to do.
Rapier108
Now up on KBTX.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Reported-Fish-Camp-Counselor-Pictures-at-Bonfire-Memorial-Draw-Questions-213406161.html
E K Gill
AG
quote:
They are not pieces of ****.

I hope you're joking.
fightntexag15
AG
This deeply saddens me to see some fish camp counselors acting this way. As a counselor you should know the traditions by heart and the importance of Bonfire. As a current student, I hope you know that these actions do not reflect us all.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
quote:
They are not pieces of ****.

I hope you're joking.

They did a thoughtless thing and had a gross lapse in judgement. They are probably incredibly ashamed and embarrassed. What more do you want?
Personal Best
AG
And I agree that this is incredibly embarrassing for fish camp and disgraceful for these ags.
Brick Tamland
quote:
This deeply saddens me to see some fish camp counselors acting this way. As a counselor you should know the traditions by heart and the importance of Bonfire. As a current student, I hope you know that these actions do not reflect us all.

This. As a former counselor myself, I am ashamed.
E K Gill
AG
I don't want anything from them.
It's the families to whom they are in debt.
Gig'em.
Jeffersons Ghost
A problem that wouldn't exist if this had happened in my day :

What happens when the fish in their camp start asking them about this event?A

"Yeah, we were all really dumb?"
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Listeater's actions were intentional. These people are just dumb.

So they accidentally made stupid poses at a well known memorial?
Jeffersons Ghost
Yes that's exactly what I meant!
TelAg2009
AG
Facepalm
carpe vinum
AG
On the news now, it's going to get picked up everywhere...
Rapier108
I rarely post outside of MyBCS, but stuff like this sickens me to no end. I was a student at the time Bonfire fell; I knew two of the people who died; not well, just as classmates, but it was enough. Some of my coworkers from the fire school were part of the rescue efforts (I was a student worker there) and what they saw must have been very bad because they wouldn't talk about it and were upset for sometime after. To this day I never heard many details of what they saw when digging through the logs.

IMO, anyone who would disrespect the memory of our fellow Aggies loses the right to ever call themselves an Aggie. We're not talking about a 10 year old kid; stupidity from someone that age can be forgiven. These are adults and should know better.

And yes, I want to see heads roll. If they were expelled, it would not break my heart one bit.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Time for Fish Camp to go!
Personal Best
AG
quote:

I don't know about that.. This story probably doesn't mean anything to those who aren't Aggies.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
I'm really surprised not one person said "this is a bad idea". Who would think this was okay?

Nonregs

Took 18 pages to become a corps vs. nonreg thread. A new record!
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Yes, everywhere in the Bryan-College Station Metroplex.
Rapier108
The Houston Comical will probably pick it up. They love a good A&M bashing story.
carpe vinum
AG
bet.
Texas major markets and SEC outlets.
Jeffersons Ghost
quote:
What more do you want?

A date with the girl on the left in the pic that got taken down would be a start.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
bet.
Texas major markets and SEC outlets.

Oh I thought you said everywhere. You meant 3 texas newspapers and some message boards.
Pierce County Ag
AG
quote:
I rarely post outside of MyBCS, but stuff like this sickens me to no end. I was a student at the time Bonfire fell; I knew two of the people who died; not well, just as classmates, but it was enough. Some of my coworkers from the fire school were part of the rescue efforts (I was a student worker there) and what they saw must have been very bad because they wouldn't talk about it and were upset for sometime after. To this day I never heard many details of what they saw when digging through the logs.

IMO, anyone who would disrespect the memory of our fellow Aggies loses the right to ever call themselves an Aggie. We're not talking about a 10 year old kid; stupidity from someone that age can be forgiven. These are adults and should know better.

And yes, I want to see heads roll. If they were expelled, it would not break my heart one bit.

Maybe not the "expulsion" part of the post, but comments like these should be posted on that KBTX article due to the larger audience outside of TexAgs.
Keegan99
AG
The apology from the fish camp director is a good start, but it's a bit like a parent being obligated to apologize for their kid's stupidity.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Same here. One of those 12 sat next to me in physics 218 every day.
Jeffersons Ghost
Keegan, people I know that know him say he's genuinely upset by this outside of his position as head of the group.

[This message has been edited by Jeffersons Ghost (edited 6/27/2013 6:47p).]
stacyreeves
AG
At the very, VERY least they should be required to go out there and clean up the memorial every week for the next year, and they should put together a fundraiser to raise money to maintain the memorial and fund future Bonfire Remembrance programs. Force them to give back and spend some time out there remembering exactly what it is that memorial stands for.
Jeffersons Ghost
quote:
At the very, VERY least they should be required to go out there and clean up the memorial every week for the next year

I'd love to see someone get all the damn coin marks off of the granite.
ECBXI
AG
(and fail for posting on the big bored and not as a reply...rookie mistake, I know, I know) So I'm putting this where I meant to put it:

So this is the first time I've been on TexAgs probably since football season, but after hearing about all of this and reading posts pretty much up to page 17, I decided to stop by Bonfire Memorial on my way home from work. I stopped in every portal, read every name, and said a prayer in each space for each of The Twelve and their family and friends.

I know we are all upset at the blatant disrespect these few students displayed. And I know we all think that a lot of New Army is sending a lot of our traditions to hell in a hand basket so to speak (heck, a lot of you would probably lump me into that category...I didn't graduate that long ago). But please, let us remember what it means to teach the meaning of the word "Aggie" to others.

While I was there a father brought his daughter out to the center of the ring and was explaining the significance of memorial, and I presume the story of November 18, 1999. That had me tearing up more then Bonfire Memorial itself. That is our job, Ags.
E K Gill
AG
Apart from the fact that media coverage may bring about pain to the families, I couldn't care less who picks it up.
The Law of the Harvest says that we reap what we sow.
Those individuals who were so stupid, thoughtless, & cowardly to (a) not utter a simple, "Hey ... this is a really bad idea," and (b) participate in such behavior deserve all the publicity (and other ramifications) that makes its way to 'em.
Keegan99
AG
Let me clarify, I don't doubt the director's sincerity at all. (This has undoubtedly been a terrible day for him through no fault of his own.) But there's a difference between an apology from someone responsible for the guilty party and an apology from the guilty party.

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 6/27/2013 6:52p).]
thebubbaisin
AG
Stacyreeves
I like the idea, but "requiring" them to do it won't have any goodwill impact. FC would be smart to organize this type of action quickly as a future initiative.
CapCityAg09
TwoTimeAg
AG
Yes, these pictures show a fine group of so-called "Leaders" that I am sure will do an outstanding job of showing freshman what makes A&M special, and will introduce them to the traditions and history of Texas A&M with class and honor of those who have been memorialized on campus. I am just surprised they didn't also take a picture of them all wearing hats in the MSC, or goofing around on the grass in front of it. Maybe that was the plan for the group pictures after Fish Camp was over.
Rapier108
quote:
Maybe not the "expulsion" part of the post, but comments like these should be posted on that KBTX article due to the larger audience outside of TexAgs.

I haven't posted on KBTX since they changed to Disqus for comments, but I know some former students who do. I'll give them a shout.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.