Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Clay Travis discusses Bob Stoops, SEC Network finances

May 10, 2013

Key quotes from Clay Travis interview:

"Bob Stoops' comments show that the SEC is in the mind of all coaches."

"Even Kentucky has gone to five or six bowl games during this period of SEC dominance."

"With the exception of Tennessee, the bottom half of the SEC has seen their programs hit historical highs."

"The SEC Network is going to be owned by ESPN, but the SEC will maintain 100% of the content.

"The SEC is going to get a guarantee from ESPN in the neighborhood of $300M-350M."

"I believe this channel will be producing over a billion dollars a year in revenue over the next decade."

"Stoops is basically saying the SEC is top-heavy which isn't true. Even if it was, the goal is to be at the top right?"
Discussion from...

19,590 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by TxAginAz
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach Dub
This is from the same Clay Travis who last week wrote an article for his Outkick the Coverage website that said "That's when I learned the Bible says some crazy, crazy things and that building your belief system on any one issue around a few Bible verses is completely and totally stupid."

He also stated "The Bible says tens of thousands of things that are flat out ridiculous, racist, sexist, and impossible to follow in today's modern society."

These are from http://outkickthecoverage.com/sports-and-religion-what-could-possibly-go-wrong.php. TexAgs staff are you really certain you want to associate yourselves and your website with a Christophobic charlatan like Clay Travis?

His Twitter feed also had these gems- "Put simply, when people are stupid, they deserve to be ridiculed. And Chris Broussard is stupid as hell." This was in reference to Chris Broussard having the audacity to practice his religion or live out his faith outside of a church's walls.

Travis' Twitter feed continued "The idea that all opinions are equal & valid is one of the great flaws of a PC society. Many opinions are stupid. And should be called such."

Apparently Clay Travis thinks those who choose to believe that the Bible is the divine Word of God and as such should be the guide for every Christian to live by are stupid and not worthy of recognition by any "thinking" American. I wonder if TexAgs agrees with his sentiment. Placing him at the top of your A&M Football forum regardless of what he has to say on A&M is promoting his ideology.

Gabe, Josh and Brandon, please dissociate this fine website and radio program from anti-Christian filth like Clay Travis. TexAgs is WAY too good for that.
Mondo Ag
AG
Dear Texags please dissociate yourselves from the bible thumper that is Coach Dub. He is so blinded by his own ignorance that he cannot see that Clay was not attacking the bible. He is a good man and talks great football, I look forward to more Clay Travis related post in the future!!!
TxAginAz
AG
Coach dub, GTFO. I like Travis' articles. Pull the stick out already. This is America. Free speech and all that.
txaggies07
AG
We went through this last time Coach Dub. STFU. If you don't like him, don't click his links.
Halconblack
AG
Just so you know, 90% of Texags members are Internet tough guys that use F-word acronyms to let you know just how tough they are.
Coach Dub
Mondo- let me write using small words so I don't confuse you. The issue is not Clay Travis stating that the Bible contained many "ridiculous" statements (his words), its his repeated statement that people who base their opinions on the Bible are "stupid" and "not worth listening to". Since this should describe every Christian, it should be considered hate speech, which texags restricts in the user agreement. If he would have said the same thing about any other group, he would have been dropped immediately.
KS80537
Looks like a football article to me, and I liked it.
schmendeler
AG
What makes him a charlatan? What about him is a swindler or a fraud? Do you know what charlatan means?
Raggy09
AG
Whatever happened to judge not Dub?
Coach Dub
Not judging, simply highlighting Clay's own words.
speedy
AG
I consider myself a Christian but do not believe everything I read in the bible.
Ags77
AG
I read my Bible daily, and believe it is true. I also read college sports stuff, especially SEC stuff. I DONT get the two mixed up!!! Try it Coach !!
boulderaggie
AG
I like big boobs.
Quito
AG
I'm with Dub and think Clay thinks he knows much more than he does.

That being said, I like him as an SEC homer, but will not go to his site anymore.
Gabe Bock
AG
Coach Dub...e-mail me (Gabe@TexAgs.com) instead.
aggiebones
AG
There are alot of people building there faith around a 'few' bible verses. Not a good idea.

I'll take Clay over say the Westboro Baptist Church.
Or more precisely, I'll develop my own relationship with God and not really involve either of their ideas.

You can't tiptoe very easily around the world avoiding all that have different beliefs.
diehard14
AG
Dub, shut upppppp holy crap.
SABUILDERAG
I don't agree with Clay's comments and would tell him so if I had the opportunity (not in an Internet tough guy way).

However, I don't expect that Texags will reflect my beliefs, as I don't come here to grow spiritually. There is a much better (perfect in fact) place for that. I don't have a hyperlink, but here are some highlights that address some of the comments in this thread.

"Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage. But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ, that they were saying to you, "In the last time there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts." These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit. But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. (Jude 1:14-21 NASB)

"Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. (Matthew 24:9-13 NASB)

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM M E, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell-and great was its fall." (Matthew 7:13, 14, 21-23, 26, 27 NASB)

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17 NASB)
Rock Too
AG
Ok......what did I miss?
Rock Too
AG
And boulder......way too funny.......spit my beer up on that one
JTMW
AG
I'm dyslexic. I believe in DOG.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Coach Dub is right !
Pigeon88
AG
I guess you can throw me in with the pig-headed idiots. I like some of Clay's writing, but he went way, way too far in throwing the scriptures and those who cherish them under the bus. I have no further use for him.
Wev
AG
I'll stand with DUB and truth.
Pigeon88
AG
"Suck it" and "STFU" are such compelling arguments. How can anyone not be persuaded by such logical and fact-based replies? Obviously those submitting such thoughtful responses are seeking nothing more than to show their respect for fellow Ags and raise the overall level of discussion here on the forum. I regret that I can't find myself on the same side of the debate as such high-minded contributors.
Cornerback31
AG
I'll stand with Coach Dub and Builder. Call me an idiot for believing in Salvation and Everlasting Life to come. No more Travis for me.
AWP 97
AG
Doesn't religious freedom allow for not being religious at all? People say nasty things for different reasons directly at each other on TexAgs all the time. I don't see how an article that was written and linked to TexAgs, but not written directly for TexAgs, can get some of you so worked up. If Travis had said something about a different group or belief system, then that would have been OK. Some people would have griped, but we wouldn't have to deal with the "let's disassociate ourselves with this person" argument.

Some of you get your panties in a wad, if another person doesn't believe exactly what you believe. You believe that religious freedom only allows people to think like you. It's not like Travis was threatening Jihad.

Please lighten up or take it to the religious board. It's like the radio, if you don't like some talk show hosts, then don't listen to their program. If you don't like Travis, then don't read his article.
Creme de Menthe
This is a FOOTBALL website and the linked article discusses FOOTBALL.

They didn't link to an article where he discusses religion.

Some of you sound like you'd be more at home in the Ayatollah's Iran.

Take your theocratic rants to a website or subforum centered around religion. This ISN'T IT.

[This message has been edited by Creme de Menthe (edited 5/11/2013 9:06a).]
Scorebook
AG
Thank you Texags for featuring a SEC media figure that is a big supporter of A&M and who also has a great website. Considering Clay's presence is about college football and sports; if you had stopped association with Clay because he wrote one article pointing out some oddities of old testament scripture, I would have found it strange and discouraging.

Wes97
AG
I wish texags would start banning people that insist on bringing religious and political arguments to this board. I don't come to the football on texags to read posters ridiculous viewpoints on religion, politics, etc... Take this crap somewhere else. It wasn't Clay Travis who brought his goofy religious rants to this board.

[This message has been edited by Wes97 (edited 5/11/2013 3:27p).]
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
When this guy writes in an insulting manner his distaste for believers, it is only fair
that his criticism be challenged !

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 5/11/2013 3:07p).]
Cornerback31
AG
Right on Big Jim.
Wes97
AG
He wrote an article on his website tangentially about religion that you disagreed with. However You are on the one spamming the A&M football board with your personal nonsense.
schmendeler
AG
So challenge his criticism. Calling out texags for featuring him because of his college football insight is silly.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.