Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

This is why being an Aggie is the best damn decision Ive ever made

25,996 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by captain angry
Mantis Toboggan MD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bowlinag
AG
There's a spirit
aggie67,74&76
AG
Great story!
SgtBarbarossa
GoFIsch12
AG
Thank you for sharing.
Triad
Triad
Triad
Triad
CapCityAg09
Gordon Bombay
OXDL45
SECAg03
It was great working with Cameron as well as many students from the Student Bonfire group. They really carried a lot of the weight, literally, on the college station end.

Here was the blog post that I posted last week when we got home from West as well. It was an extraordinary experience. The Bryan-College Station community really is something else.
I’ve always been proud to be a Texas Aggie. But the day that the Bryan-College Station community and Aggies from around the country rallied to support the tiny Central Texas Town of West will be a day that will never be forgotten.
In less than eight hours time, thousands of you in Aggieland rallied to support our friends in West. At first, I thought, “this is unbelievable,” but then I thought again…It’s absolutely believable. It’s just Aggies doing what Aggies do.
Our original plan was to fill up our #AOroadtrip bus with supplies and drive it to West. First, not only did we overestimate the space in the RV, more foolishly, we vastly underestimated the people of Aggieland.
It won’t happen again.
Not only did we fill the RV (in less than 45 minutes I might add), we had volunteers round up additional trucks, some renting them out of their own pocket. We had one person who owned a trucking company send two 53-foot 18-wheelers.
College Depot brought another 35-foot trailer, as well as one of our mangers who borrowed her dad’s 35-foot trailer.
In addition to the RV, we brought our Aggieland Outfitters delivery truck back to Post Oak Mall as well.
It was no longer the RV heading north. All of the vehicles made the trip to West–chock full of supplies, as well as nearly $15,000 in cash donations.
But that was just the beginning.
We thought we had seen some of the most amazing people during the day in Aggieland, donating thousands of dollars and literally, truckloads of supplies. But the fine folks of West, Texas were just as impressive. When we arrived at the staging area, there were hundreds of local residents ready to help unload, including scores of Texas A&M fans and Former Students who were excited to see Aggies coming to their aide. They formed lines passing items to various areas, sorting things into groups of clothes, diapers, toiletries, etc.
The people of West may have been knocked down, but they won’t stay down for long.
At one point, I chatted with kids from the local high schools who were lined up to do anything they were told. Many of them had lost their homes, but they were here, helping the rest of their town in any way they can.
Later, after tweaking my back moving cases of water, a man from West walked up and just hugged me. I looked at him, and he had tears coming down his face.
“I don’t know what to tell you to explain how much we appreciate you,” he said. “I lost seven of my best friends last night…” before he choked up and could no longer speak. Suddenly, the back didn’t hurt so badly.
Another man, who owned the shop he offered to unload our two 18-wheelers of water at, said that he had kids who went to Baylor, but “they are going to hear all about what the Aggies did for West tonight.”
I told him, “We’re glad to help, but I assure you, we’re not done helping.”
And we’re not.
Before leaving and heading back to Aggieland, we told them that if they needed anything, let us know. We promised that we would be back. We promised that they are not in this alone. We promised that Bryan-College Station and the Texas A&M community would not leave their side. No matter how long it takes, we will do whatever we can as a community to help them get back on their feet.
After the turnout on Thursday, that’s a promise I’m not worried about breaking.
Bryan-College Station is a special place and Aggies are a special group of people. All of us at Aggieland Outfitters are honored to call it home.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES AND GROUPS
College Depot was an integral part of the operation as well, coordinating with people in West, and working out where to go in West once we loaded up all of the trucks.
Jack Hilliard Distributing, who showed up with a larger, sturdier tent for volunteers to work under after our two canopy tents were swept away by the wind.
Student Bonfire – What can we say, this group of fine Texas A&M students did most of the heavy lifting on the College Station end, never complaining about the cold, and working as a team who had obviously worked together before. Great work!
Texas A&M students – To the incredible group of students who worked at the mall nearly all day, and especially the ones who drove them and their friends to West to help unload several trucks worth of supplies, know that we couldn’t be prouder to have you represent Texas A&M. You guys are the best.
Dominos & Raising Canes, who both brought food for volunteers
AT&T, who brought more than 100 phone chargers for workers and volunteers to use to charge their phones.
The Bryan-College Station Chamber of Commerce, which helped find a crew from House of Tires to come out and make sure that the tires on the RV were properly aired up after being in storage for several weeks, as well as help other businesses contribute to the cause.
Big Event, which brought HUNDREDS of brand new t-shirts, giving a whole new meaning to “The Big Event” for many in West.
D&D Moving & Storage for offering up another trailer to use to sort things to go into other trailers.
Maroon Bikes, which brought volunteers and a van to transport volunteers to West if they were needed.
KBTX, KAGS KORA, WTAW and TexAgs Radio, which publicized the event every chance they got.

http://aggielandoutfitters.com/blog/?p=1277

iceman08
MikeyElko
AG
who's cuttin' onions?
captain angry
AG
Amazing. Love my school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.